SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Waiting for a table....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waiting for a table.... Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Dumb laws are forcing limited occupancy at restaurants. I get it. So waiting lines are common.

But for fuck’s sake, if you're done with your meal, bill is settled and you see people waiting, you might want to think about having the courtesy and vacating the table instead of sitting there for another HOUR just sipping on refills of water shooting the breeze. Assholes!!

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
100% agree. Not only are the next groups waiting for your table, but all revenue stops for these servers and the restaurants while you sit there and fuck around on the internet until you decide to do something else.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I agree that it can be frustrating. But there are times when I go out to eat more for the people I’m with than for the food. Particularly now that I’m living in Florida it seems like old friends or family come down for vacation somewhere and we will pick a restaurant to meet at for a meal and to catch up. During these times we will often stay past the meal and have coffee and drinks or whatever.

I do try to pick non-peak times to eat so that I know the restaurant isn’t going to be packed and I tip generously when I do stay. I worked in a restaurant for many years so I fully realize we are taking potential tips away from the waitress by sitting there so I make sure to make up for that and will often tip 40-50%.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
People are generally inconsiderate assholes. Studies have been done that show people actually slow down when they know other people are waiting on them.

Since the Chinese flu, as soon as I finish eating I pay my check and leave. That’s what you do and that’s how I was raised.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I understand your pain about waiting but blaming other patrons is pure bullshit.
They come out for a particular dining experience and it might not be one that helps you and are herded out just to get you in.
It isn't their fault for the WU FLU and the draconian shutdowns, lockdown and loss or freedoms that the USA previously enjoyed.
Eek

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
It's not just the other patrons that are affected. The restaurant needs to generate income to stay in business. If you're no longer spending money at your table, you are costing them money.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
A lot of restaurants are now placing time limits on tables due to the limited seating and to prevent this from happening. I agree, it is really rude.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I understand your pain about waiting but blaming other patrons is pure bullshit.
They come out for a particular dining experience and it might not be one that helps you and are herded out just to get you in.
It isn't their fault for the WU FLU and the draconian shutdowns, lockdown and loss or freedoms that the USA previously enjoyed.
Eek

Sorry, I don't agree. It's a public place. These people have finished and are just loitering. If there is no one waiting, fine. It's really just a burden on the wait staff refilling their WATERS for an HOUR when the bill and tip have already been settled.

But when the line is 6+ parties long, the capacity of the restaurant is at 25-50% (I don't know what the regulation is now), the restaurant could have turned over the table at least once in that HOUR that they sat chatting and sipping WATER. Maybe they are "entitled" to do so, but I think it's just inconsiderate to others.

We're all trying to make do w/ this stupid situation. A little common courtesy doesn't hurt. What dining experience? It's just soup and sandwiches for lunch.

So, yea, the wuflu and the draconian behavior is not their fault. But staying in their seats for an HOUR sipping WATER while parties wait to be seated is in their control, it is their fault and I will contend it's rude and inconsiderate.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Y'all are focusing on the the wrong solution. Confused
It's not the the customer that is the problem it is the fucking governmental tyranny that is the problem.

You cry because you have to wait to "eat out".
What would you do if it were "normal" times and the restaurant was just busy?
A lot of people want have to experience of leisure and conversation when dining.
Sure this may vary by the type of restaurant.
But you want to kick out those ahead of you just so you can get what you want.

So whatta ya going to do?

Call the lock-down Po Po and have the customer arrested?
Put a chess timer on each table to make sure they don't take too much time between bites?
You could always go through the drive-through line, order take out or just go home and cook it yourself if just the food is the issue.
How much time do you get to take?

Yes I am over exaggerating here for effect. Smile

Focus on those who are taking your freedom with this shit ~ they are the real criminal in this crime. Mad

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Look, i’ve already acknowledged the tedious rules of these days. I get the government is causing problems. It does not absolve those who are behaving without consideration. It’s soup and salad for lunch. It’s not a four hour italian or french dinner in a three star restaurant. You get in and you get out. Current times or not - assholes.

But whatever. I’ll not debate this with you. If you think their behavior is acceptable, so be it.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
If folks are waiting I leave when done.
If there are obviously empty tables do whatever you please.

It's covered by the "Golden Rule" It's really is just that simple to me.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
You have some control over it. Eat at off hours is the best. 10 years ago we continued our family tradition of eating out on Christmas Eve. We went to Longhorn in Florence, KY and got there at about 7:00. But we also had a large party of 11. Never had a problem in the past, but this was different. Another large party was sitting at a table, the only one that could seat a larget party. Shouldn't have been a problem, but it was. That earlier party just sat and talked. For over an hour.

I'm pretty sure the staff just wanted us to leave. The earlier party wasn't about to finish. They had talking to do. When they finally did leave, we were seated. I'm sure the better way to handle it would have been go and stand behind the talkers. And maybe make rude comments and listen in on their bullshit. I spend a fair amount on that supper each year and I wanted to eat. We did get apology's from the staff pretty often. It was obvious what we were doing wasn't working and the loafers at the table didn't care.

They'd long since cleared off the dishes, but it wasn't a hint the group took. They were just pricks and were going to sit and talk.

OK, it might not be fair, but it killed our tradition of going on on Christmas Eve. So for the last 9 years we just hosted the dinner at our new house. This year my wife and I are eating alone. With Covid and all, its just easier.

Pick your time to go. We eat out every week and go to supper at 5:00. No one goes at that time, but we do because we always have "our" table. I tip really well and like our waitress. We'll go tomorrow, the table will be empty, probably, and I'll tip about 66%. I know, too much, but I get good service from our waitress.

For a Monday, its early. Said waitress also works Saturday. Still a good tip. We get what I think is great service. Been going on for the last 6 years. Same waitress.

If you want and expect good service, you can pay for it. If you don't, it should be no surprise if you only get "normal" service. So the formula is to go the same day, same time. Then pay with a good tip. Don't show up at the busiest time and complain about it taking too long. You hold your destiny in your own hands.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met family at a restaurant in Louisville yesterday. We were the only patrons. We sat there for an hour and a half, no other patrons. I tipped well, but my concern is for the industry. It was Sunday. Where was the church crowd?

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ain't waiting in line, so there is that solution.

I had my patience tested... I'm negative.

Posts: 83 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Look, i’ve already acknowledged the tedious rules of these days. I get the government is causing problems. It does not absolve those who are behaving without consideration. It’s soup and salad for lunch. It’s not a four hour italian or french dinner in a three star restaurant. You get in and you get out. Current times or not - assholes.

But whatever. I’ll not debate this with you. If you think their behavior is acceptable, so be it.

I get you. Assholes for sure.

I frequently have to herd my group out after the bill has been settled and everyone is shooting the breeze. Even in the before times. If people are waiting for a table, I usually say, "Let's give the table back, there are people waiting. We can grab a drink at the bar/boba shop/coffee shop."

But hey, I also let people go ahead of me at the checkout if they only have one or two things in hand and I have a full cart.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Spend money, continue spending money by ordering dessert and a digestif, or GTFO. That's my hard fast rule for restaurants, pandemic or not.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We ate at a very nice place yesterday,
They hired seven additional people because of covid restrictions,
But they are only seeing half as many patrons as before.

They now have four "teams" to attend to each patron/group/ table.

Team #1: greeters ,order taker.
#2 : servers
#3 : bus people
#4 :cleaners, sanitizers.

We waited 15 minutes,
They don't set the table until they have a guest that wants it.

www.Biaggis.com

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"I cried because I had no table until I met a man who had no spoon."

Or some such silly thing.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post