SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Credit card company lowered my line of credit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit card company lowered my line of credit Login/Join 
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
I just had my empty Bass Pro Card cancelled on me, I wonder how many more will be? I have an empty Discover Card too.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Now you guys have me wondering about my Capital One/Walmart Mastercard, $6500 limit with a $14 balance. Red Face

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
One of mine got lowered but only by $400 which was less than 10% of the limit. Didn't seem to make sense to me but okay.

I had an Exxon card years ago, never used it and they ended up canceling the card. It didn't seem to hurt my credit rating, though. I'm sure if it was a MC/Visa/AE/Discover type of card it probably would've hurt. But being that it was a gas station card with limited use, it probably didn't affect much.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
The banks are cleaning up their balance sheets.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened a Sunoco gasoline credit card account in 1977. Sunoco helped me with extended credit for fuel and accessories during a time of unemployment in later years, asking me for a just few dollars payment each month. I'll always remember that. Soon as I got back on my feet I payed off the balance and used the card often.

Several years ago Sunoco, an East coast company, cancelled that card due to inactivity.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Capital One just sent me a letter this week telling me my account was closed due to inactivity.
No "hey go and buy something" just buh-bye.

Had a $14k limit and was with them for a couple decades.

My credit rating is over 800 and it will really peeve me if this ends up being significant.

////////////////////
Ditto!
$15k limit. No use in 3 years according to them. My score is 831. I wish they had told me prior.
sigguy(the 1st)

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
When I worked for the same company my Dad did I was an "authorized user" for a company credit card with a high limit. I started out as a gophe helper. I used to pick up the telephone and CCTV equipment that we installed. When I turned 18 I got a new card with the company name and my name under it on a new card. Shortly before I went to basic training the company relocated out of state. I forgot about the card until a few years later and my Mom forwarded me a credit card that only had my name on it. The CC reissued it in my name only for whatever reason. I didn't know what the credit limit was initially because my Mom never forwarded me the discloser statement. I was in Germany at the time. When I went home on leave I went to the bank to make sure I could use the card since I didn't work for the telephone company any more. I found out that the bank had issued a credit card with a $125,000 credit limit to a 19 year old US Army PFC! I used it and paid it if occasionally to keep it active. I left that card with my Mom. It was dangerous!

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’ve always had a high credit score and got seven figure loans with just my signature..

A couple of months ago I had our roof replaced and noticed that the contractor offered paying the $15K invoice by credit card which I did.I like to play the airline mileage game and use the miles to take some nice vacations...

Well the credit card companies noticed that my percent usage had gone up considerably so they decreased my FICO score by almost 60 points! Now this had nothing to do with the fact that I paid the bill off like I always do each month...and it took almost 4 months for my score to come back up...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Well the credit card companies noticed that my percent usage had gone up considerably so they decreased my FICO score by almost 60 points! Now this had nothing to do with the fact that I paid the bill off like I always do each month...and it took almost 4 months for my score to come back up...

Unless the total % of credit used exceeded 50%, that sounds excessive. Additionally, if you paid it off before the due date, the banks don't show the higher outstanding balance.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Banks are buckling down, big time.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Chase reduced my credit after I had $0 balance for a while. Went from $11,000 down to $5,000

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post