SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New Medicare card is in English AND Spanish
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Medicare card is in English AND Spanish Login/Join 
posted
I've been covered since I turned 65 about 2.5 years ago, I just got a new card. The old card had my Social Security number and was 100% in English. The new card has my new account number, but it has Name/Nombre etc. on the front and a complete paragraph in Spanish on the back.

There's more: The letter is English on the front, Spanish on the back, and then another sheet offers help in FIFTEEN languages, from Arabic to Vietnamese. They even offer Haitian Creole!

Why does the government make it so easy for people NOT to learn English????

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why does the government make it easy for people NOT to learn English???

It is not just the government. Every product that I buy that has a manual has the instructions in MULTIPLE languages.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Why does the government make it so easy for people NOT to learn English????

Makes it easier for the illegal aliens to vote, duh!

This won't stop unless a Constitutional Majority of us tell them to stop. Again.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
It is not just the government. Every product that I buy that has a manual has the instructions in MULTIPLE languages.
I can understand that if the product is sold in multiple countries.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Here in NW Montana, the only people who speak Spanish are the Spanish teachers. I just bought some groceries at our local Smiths store. All the isle headers were in both English and Spanish.

What’s wrong with us?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I understand the sentiment, but I'm not overly concerned with it. When I was last in Mexico, I saw just as many signs in English as in Spanish. I think Americans may be a little more sensitive to this with the immigration issues of late.

My first passport was in English/French. My later passport was English/Spanish. I don't recall getting worked up about the French before.

At least Spanish is relatively easy. Wouldn't it be a bitch if Mexico's language was something tough, like Apache? Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I just bought a Fenix E12 (and just ordered another). The "manual" sheet is laid out landscape style, with a horizontal row of instructions, which aren't all that many. The first row is in English, followed by about 8 more rows in other languages. Then turn it over and there are another whole page of rows is yet more languages. That's OK, but sometimes I run across a manual laid out the same way, but it takes several rows of instructions, so each "page" has about 20 rows all in different languages, and you have to page, page, page, to get to the next set of English ones.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

...My first passport was in English/French. My later passport was English/Spanish. I don't recall getting worked up about the French before...

The reason for French was that it was considered to be the international language until recently, especially in diplomatic circles. I don't think anybody would consider Spanish to be anything other than the international language of drug cartels.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
This is Obama’s legacy.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it available in Braille? It should be.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least the new cards are normal (credit card) size instead of the previous bloated size with the signature line that wouldn’t fit anywhere in my wallet!

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Goddamn those private companies trying to provide a product their customers will want to buy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Goddamn those private companies trying to provide a product their customers will want to buy.

Yeah I really enjoy the telepone prompts in foreign languages. My grandparents primary language was Lithuanian. I do not see many manuals with those written instructions. I fully recognize the United States is a melting pot, but at some point in time mastery of the English language should occur.