SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    For the first time, I got phished
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the first time, I got phished Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
Last night, my kids wanted to watch a movie and it was as available on HBO Max. I searched HBO Max free trial, clicked on the link that came up, clicked the button that said start you free trial, and put in my credit card information. It all looked legit until I hit submit and found myself at some website that had nothing to do with HBO. Card was canceled two minutes later. I still can’t believe I fell for it. Shit, next thing you know, I'll be talking to Microsoft when they call me.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Oy! We'll have to watch out for that one. Do you remember what the website address bar showed, while you were entering credit card?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The intial website was www hbomaxfreetrial com which in hindsight was not HBO. It went from there to asking for email and password to set up an account (fortunately, I didn't use one of my usual passwords and I used an email for junk.) Then, the credit card page was www medeeah com. I saw this before I entered my information and even thought it seemed odd, but I forged ahead anyway because my kids were waiting.

I was in a rush, didn't really pay attention, and ignored my spider sense. I was dumb, dumb, dumb. I'll add this to the list of reasons I won't get a pilot's license. I do have a list that I roll out whenever I start entertaining the thought. It includes things like putting the boat in the water without installing the drain plug, on three different occasions.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Phishing is out of control these days.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I used my AT&T provider website to get the HBO free trial.

However, I got a year free with ordering fiber internet and canceling cable.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

I'll add this to the list of reasons I won't get a pilot's license . . . putting the boat in the water without installing the drain plug, on three different occasions.
We use checklists. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI:
Phishing is out of control these days.

With phone numbers.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of people simply relying on Google to take them to the promised land.
IF you know the actual URL then type it in the browser not the search engine.
You have to be careful where you tread on the interwebs.
Be safe.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post