SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why break backward compatibility
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why break backward compatibility Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
IT moving us to a new version of SW. Current version allows for files locally and the cloud. New version has a new file format that only allows for the cloud. I use the SW for both work and personal information. I do not want personal info in the cloud.

Why would the SW developer break compatibility and no longer allow for access to locally stored files? I'm now busy exporting the personal info from the SW to local PDF for retention. I hate this cloud shit. I just got another email last week that one of my alma mater had a system breach and some of my information was exposed. Why should I trust the cloud?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
If you have to store more data in their Cloud, they can charge you more. No other reason needed.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16510 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
It's a bad move re:users. It could be that it this may be simpler for the developers to program/administer/update, but it's kind of a dick move from a user perspective.

It's also possible that it may have been driven by IT. Having all those data files somewhere else could simplify IT's life, as a bunch of storage, backup, security etc. headaches just got outsourced.

quote:
Why should I trust the cloud?

To ask this question is to answer it. Wink

Not sure what kind of files/program this is, but maybe there are old versions (or competitors?) you could install on your home PC that would use files in that format.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
onenote. apparently onenote 2016 will eol. not sure if i can still keep a local copy of the app for local files.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
It's a bad move re:users. It could be that it this may be simpler for the developers to program/administer/update, but it's kind of a dick move from a user perspective.

That, most likely. Maintaining support for "old" features costs money and annoys developers (I are one), so the bean counters that make or influence those decisions will figure that it may cost them a few "old" users but not enough to justify continuing it. Sometimes they guess right and profits grow, sometimes they guess wrong and get bit.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Although storage is cheap, it is not free. Having one file in a cloud accessible to all is better, in some people's judgment, than storing 40 copies of the same file on the e-mail server under different user names. And, likely, additional duplicate copies on user hard drives. But, storage is essentially limitless. It is just money. Have you seen the FB building near Richmond VA? A bazillion square feet of good farm land gone forever.

So, I think they "break" storing locally so that users cannot continue what they believe to be suboptimal behavior.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post