SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The phrase "Learn me" drives me nuts
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The phrase "Learn me" drives me nuts Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Yep, it's right up there with people using numbers 4 words Wink

I know, right?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I could care less.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
When everyone is edumacated by this post, we'll all do better.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, I used to use that phrase often.

After I retired, I started instructing at a community college and a local adult education center here.
I would often tell the students in the first class, "I can TEACH you, but I can not LEARN you".

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
What's so wrong about "teach me about" or "please explain" or any number of similar expressions?

I would be more than happy to learn you about what your browsers back button is, how it works, and why it's thereBig Grin

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I could care less.

Haha. Savage!

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is not the educational system, it is parents and society as a whole that are responsible.

My first thought was that the so-called education system has caused this crap. But thinking a millisecond, or 2, it occurred to me that society as a whole IS! responsible.

If our society had not allowed the destruction of our national education system this nonsense would never have happened!

How can we expect our children to actually learn proper language skills when the teachers do not have such skills themselves?!?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
This goes back at least several decades. Example would be ebonics. "I be at the game". It was considered racist to correct pronunciation such as ax instead of ask.

But ebonics is not the only problem. Insisting on proper grammar and sentence structure and learning how to write clearly and concisely is pretty much a relic of an earlier era. On top of all of this, PC and the twin evils of diversity and multiculturalism at all costs added fuel to the destruction of the educational system.

Defining deviancy down was predicted many years ago. Moynihan was ahead of his time. I dread to think of how much further the fall will be, especially while social media is busy coarsening whatever culture we have left.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
This goes back at least several decades. Example would be ebonics. "I be at the game". It was considered racist to correct pronunciation such as ax instead of ask.

But ebonics is not the only problem. Insisting on proper grammar and sentence structure and learning how to write clearly and concisely is pretty much a relic of an earlier era.

Experienced this first hand.

My first job out of the Army was something I was doing just to tread water until I got my feet back on civilian ground: A night shift production job making, believe-it-or-not, O-rings. One Saturday afternoon my shift partner and I were tooling around when he up and said "The reason you're not making better friends with the rest of our shift is the way you talk--all proper with "big," complicated words."

Talk about being taken aback!

So I spent some time listening more closely to the speech around me at work and set about purposely degrading my word usage and syntax.

Damned if he weren't right. Next thing you know I was jus' another one of the guys.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I spent some time listening more closely to the speech around me at work and set about purposely degrading my word usage and syntax.

I know this is thread drift but your post reminded me of an incident I experienced around 1975-6. I had written an evaluation on a junior enlisted subordinate and was called into my department head's office about it. He asked what the heck "phlegmatic" meant. I explained what it meant and why I felt it appropriate. This full navy commander reiterated he didn't know the word and ordered me to rewrite the passage removing it. He further counseled me to write all future evaluations at an 8th grade level or less. I was utterly stunned.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was taught that using poor grammar was a reflection of your social class and quality of your upbringing.

If a woman begins using improper grammar it is as a big a turnoff as if she were missing all her front teeth. It is indeed possible to speak simply and clearly using the Kings English.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
The one that really irks me, especially when seen in the context of formal or work-related communication, is “of” instead of “have”.

Would of, could of, should of, might of.

Please make it go away.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It is people trying to be cute, but it is a tiresome joke.

This

sammich

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
It ain't right!

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's what they learned me in skool to say. Eek

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It is people trying to be cute, but it is a tiresome joke.

Along with "it'll buff right out"

Yeah. Two tiresome jokes

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Is this where I can bitch about the SIGforum contest of cut, pasting and posting the longest article you can find on the internet (or in this case - the interweb).

Damn. Post the link and a highlight. Maybe the first paragraph. Maybe the second.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
“Give me” drives me crazy! When someone orders at a restaurant, meat counter at grocery store, or anywhere else it just drives me crazy to hear someone say, “Give me....” I say “I would like,” or “Could I have?” I think it sounds more disrespectful when someone demands.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back button <- and lighten the fuck up. Learn me where I am wrong thinking that? Learn me big time. Learn me how we got from Old English to Middle English. Oh, that's right? Languages evolve whether you like it or not.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:

Back button <-
Back button? Is that used in corporate speak? I have never heard nor seen it used in any context other than the correct (original), but my imagination transports me to a conference room full of pompous middle managers and first-level supervisors. Is "back button" now a popular phrase in that setting? I no longer participate in those horrible meetings (Hallelujah!).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post