SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The phrase "Learn me" drives me nuts
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The phrase "Learn me" drives me nuts Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:

Back button <-
Back button? Is that used in corporate speak? I have never heard nor seen it used in any context other than the correct (original), but my imagination transports me to a conference room full of pompous middle managers and first-level supervisors. Is "back button" now a popular phrase in that setting? I no longer participate in those horrible meetings (Hallelujah!).

Usually at the top left of the browser window and looks like <-. It gets you out of uncomfortable web sites fastSmile Take care Mr V-Tail and thanks for the help you threw my way a couple of weeks ago. You're a stand up guy.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
“Give me” drives me crazy! When someone orders at a restaurant, meat counter at grocery store, or anywhere else it just drives me crazy to hear someone say, “Give me....” I say “I would like,” or “Could I have?” I think it sounds more disrespectful when someone demands.

Or “I’ll do”, as in “I’ll do the cheeseburger basket”. I know you think you sound groovy, but you’re ordering a meal, not self-medicating with a controlled substance.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Back button <-
Back button? Is that used in corporate speak? I have never heard nor seen it used in any context other than the correct (original), but my imagination transports me to a conference room full of pompous middle managers and first-level supervisors. Is "back button" now a popular phrase in that setting? I no longer participate in those horrible meetings (Hallelujah!).
Usually at the top left of the browser window and looks like <-. It gets you out of uncomfortable web sites fast Smile Take care Mr V-Tail and thanks for the help you threw my way a couple of weeks ago. You're a stand up guy.
Yes, I know about the back button for browsers. That's a legitimate use of the words, and I just did not understand why it was on somebody's list of irritating / aggravating phrases; I was wondering whether it had been adopted by the weenies who sprinkle their company meetings with cute phrases. I did not understand why it popped up in this thread.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
[Yes, I know about the back button for browsers. That's a legitimate use of the words, and I just did not understand why it was on somebody's list of irritating / aggravating phrases; I was wondering whether it had been adopted by the weenies who sprinkle their company meetings with cute phrases. I did not understand why it popped up in this thread.

I too have never heard of the expression used in this context. Perhaps it is simply an "IT" computer nerd thing given Bytes plays with bytes. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
[Yes, I know about the back button for browsers. That's a legitimate use of the words, and I just did not understand why it was on somebody's list of irritating / aggravating phrases; I was wondering whether it had been adopted by the weenies who sprinkle their company meetings with cute phrases. I did not understand why it popped up in this thread.

I too have never heard of the expression used in this context. Perhaps it is simply an "IT" computer nerd thing given Bytes plays with bytes. Big Grin

ToucheBig Grin

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I see one more gun described as "having everything you need and nothing you don't" I'm gonna throw something !

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It is people trying to be cute, but it is a tiresome joke.

Exactly -- trying to be cute, but not really succeeding.

I realize that language evolves. English is a rich language because it has evolved over time, absorbing the needs and desires of its users as times change. But evolution is a process of moving forward. Some changes are not about moving forward, but rather rather backwards. Essentially devolution.

My position at work requires that I communicate to a variety of staff, management, Board members, committees, association members, suppliers, and customers. Proper diction promotes clarity in communication. I regularly observe how poor diction contributes to poor communication.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My "cross to bear"? Roll Eyes Eek

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...980061654#8980061654

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
My "cross to bear"?

History has shown that some crosses are worth bearing.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I find Just sayin' to be far, far more annoying.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As for annoying phrases, how about "it's all good"?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
As for annoying phrases, how about "it's all good"?

Yeah, ax me 'bout it.

<groan> Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
In the meantime, can someone borrow me 10 bucks?

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
In the meantime, can someone borrow me 10 bucks?

In my area they say: Can someone, like, borrow me, like, 10 bucks".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Perfect and first legit opportunity to cross-post ever!

Link

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post