SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Parking Lot Pedestrians Stupidity
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parking Lot Pedestrians Stupidity Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
What the hell is it with pedestrians in parking lots walking around as if they're the only people in the world? I mean: You gotta be some kinda st00pid to wander about, completely oblivious, while several-ton vehicles driven by equally oblivious it10ts are moving in the same space.

Had an older couple, perhaps about my age or a bit better, step off the curb in front of the stores a couple days ago, just about right in front of me. Never. Even. Looked. Not in the crosswalk, btw.

I stopped (of course). Then, after he was right about where my bumper would've been had I not stopped, turned and looked. I threw up my hands like "WTF?!?!" He stopped, backed up, and gave the sarcastic-low-bow-wave-through kind of a thing. Nope. A waved him through and he went.

Had a woman, few months ago, slowly ambling right down the middle of the parking lane, not a care in the world. The urge to creep up right behind her and lay on the horn...

Ok, I get it: Pedestrians have the right-of-way. But, for the love of God, look where you're going.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
People walk just like they drive. If they are oblivious walking around, they're the same behind the wheel.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Ok, I get it: Pedestrians have the right-of-way. But, for the love of God, look where you're going.

IMO, if they changed the law to state that pedestrians did not have the right-of-way, far fewer of them would get creamed.

It has done nothing but breed complacency and a sense of entitlement. Any more, people (particularly the younger crowd) don't look at all and will simply walk right out in the street, crosswalk or no. They seem to have no concept of the Law of Gross Tonnage.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
There's a grocery store here which has bricked pillars outside the and up against the driveway. With the exception of where the curb is, you literally cannot see cross-traffic. I fell into that trap once and was nearly hit by the driver focused on which aisle he wanted to turn down.

Not sure if anyone has every been actually hit though I am certain there is likely a report a month.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

IMO, if they changed the law to state that pedestrians did not have the right-of-way, far fewer of them would get creamed.

I'd support that. It's a road made for vehicles. They should have the right of way. Eventually, we'd weed out the morons through natural selection.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Even if they do have the right of way, why walk in areas where you can get hit by a driver not paying attention. Especially when there is a side walk 5 feet away.

Every day in the parking lot.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
There's a grocery store here which has bricked pillars outside the and up against the driveway. With the exception of where the curb is, you literally cannot see cross-traffic. I fell into that trap once and was nearly hit by the driver focused on which aisle he wanted to turn down.

You just kinda sorta proved my point.

You cannot see through the pillars, and I'll concede it's a very safety-adverse layout, so what you have to do is stop and look around them.

quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Even if they do have the right of way, why walk in areas where you can get hit by a driver not paying attention. Especially when there is a side walk 5 feet away.

Every day in the parking lot.

Yup. Used to see that all the time in the Life Time Fitness parking lot. Sometimes a night, in the wintertime, when the parking lot surface did not lend itself to sudden maneuvers.

Nearly clipped a woman doing that, one night. It was dark, it was snowing (IIRC), the parking lot surface was an icy disaster, I was watching for other vehicles and honestly did not see her until I only feet away. Slamming on the brakes might have slewed me right into her.

I could see her and her male companion yelling at me as I drove on.

There was a lit, cleared sidewalk literally a car length away.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
One thing I do not miss about Calgary are the pedestrians. It was a rarity where someone looked both ways before stepping off the curb. Instead, they'd see the light change and return to the Canadian obsession of looking at their feet while they walked.

Calgary even had crosswalks nowhere near a corner where someone could bang the walk button and instantly lights would come on to stop traffic. I saw joggers and bicyclists who just hit the button and neither slowed down nor looked both ways.

The worst was I was coming back from the airport late at night in the winter, and was driving down a hill that was about a mile long. There are no other cars on the road and I spot a jaywalker dressed all in dark clothes (another rant for another time) start walking across the road. I'm hitting the brakes and not much is happening, but the jackass jaywalker is walking at a pace to meet me. They stopped and flipped me off when I drove by.

I even saw Calgarians walk behind a car backing up in a parking lot when there was less than a meter between the vehicle backing up and the parked car.

I've never met a group of people with less sense of self-preservation than in Calgary and that is saying a lot since I've lived in SoCal. I was never surprised when I saw a news report that a Calgarian died on vacation because they got hit by a car.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I suppose the 12 volt train\truck air horn would give the old farts a heart attack. Or not. Big Grin

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:

I'd support that. It's a road made for vehicles. They should have the right of way. Eventually, we'd weed out the morons through natural selection.

Could just put a bounty on them Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

As dear ol' Dad said, when he was teaching me to drive: "having the right of way doesn't do you any good if you're dead".

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Last month I had some kid (15-18) playing on his phone walk out in front of me in the Walmart parking lot. I always assume any and all pedestrians are going to just walk on out, so no matter what he and my bumper were both safe. The look of surprise and abject terror on his face when I honked my horn at him was worth the price of admissionm. Entertaining to me, and a valuable life lesson for him.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A loud blast from a set of FIAM horns will bring the brain dead Pedestrians back to life.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

It has done nothing but breed complacency and a sense of entitlement. Any more, people (particularly the younger crowd) don't look at all and will simply walk right out in the street, crosswalk or no. They seem to have no concept of the Law of Gross Tonnage.

That's how it is in Central America. Pedestrians don't have the right away and drivers DON'T stop for them to cross. They PAY REAL GOOD attention before they step off of the curb to cross a street or walk across a parking lane.....unlike the idiots here who half of them are looking at their cell phone while walking.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was always taught that pedestrians only had the right of way in a crosswalk. Of course, that doesn't mean that I dont avoid them when they are being morons. Now, what can we do about the bike riders?

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
If you ever watched my wife drive a grocery cart in the local grocery store, you'd wonder how in the living hades she ever managed to get a drivers license.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

They do not have the absolute right of way. some think they do but are unpleasantly surprised when that backfires.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
I even saw Calgarians walk behind a car backing up in a parking lot when there was less than a meter between the vehicle backing up and the parked car.

Calgary must be the new name for where I live. I absolute hate people that see you backing out and have to squeeze between you and the other vehicles.

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
The post office seems to be the worst place for clueless pedestrians. Man, they walk right behind you when your backing-out!. Don't even get me started on dumbasses glued to their smartphones walking-around!

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
The post office seems to be the worst place for clueless pedestrians. Man, they walk right behind you when your backing-out!. Don't even get me started on dumbasses glued to their smartphones walking-around!

Yeah, they are certainly clueless when at the counter attempting to conduct business at the PO, makes sense they are morons in the parking lot too!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post