SIGforum
Passing lanes

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9120016524

June 12, 2017, 09:26 AM
konata88
Passing lanes
Driving on a highway with a single lane in each direction. Occasionally there are sections of highway with a second passing lane. Signs clearly indicating for slow cars to keep right.

A number of cars backed up behind a slow car not even doing the limit. Time and again when we have the passing lanes, this car would keep left. So we have this guy in the passing lane and then others who don't really feel compelled to pass in the right lane. So very difficult to pass cars.

WTF is so difficult to understand about slow traffic keep right? Wasn't female. Wasn't old. Wasn't some foreigner. White male in 30's driving late model car.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
June 12, 2017, 10:03 AM
jbcummings
Was he in his pajamas?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.
June 12, 2017, 10:12 AM
kx90
And it has nothing to do with phones, age, gender, etc.

Some people just don't care about anyone else but themselves. No matter what it says in the drivers manual that you read before taking your test. No matter how many signs on the highways and roads, people will just do what they please everyone else be damned.
June 12, 2017, 10:46 AM
YooperSigs
One of the nearby passing lanes often contains a Moose. Nobody passes him.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
June 12, 2017, 12:00 PM
PHPaul
He feels it's his job to slow everybody down to cut down on emissions and Save the Planet.

It should be legal to shoot them.

(The self-absorbed driver, not the moose...)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
June 12, 2017, 12:05 PM
mcrimm
Then there is the asshole that drives 10 under until they hit the passing zone. All of a sudden they drive 10 over so no one can get around them. When the passing zone is done, guess what they do?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
June 12, 2017, 12:55 PM
kx90
Something happens to a lot of people when they get behind the wheel. It's like they just automatically drop 50 IQ points.
June 12, 2017, 04:05 PM
Orguss
Maybe he thinks the new lane is the passing lane and everyone behind him should use it to get around.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
June 12, 2017, 08:29 PM
will347wax
I am convinced that regardless of an individual's speed, they travel faster when the passing lane opens up. As soon as it goes back to one lane they slow down. Drives me out of my mind.
June 12, 2017, 09:48 PM
tatortodd
Alaska has a state law that if you are both backing up 5 vehicles and not driving the speedlimit that you are required to pull off and let others pass.

Driving through the mountains vehicles would back-up behind somebody not able/willing to drive the speed limit, and when we finally hit one of the passing lanes more often than not the assholes would floor it. Soon as the passing lane was over they were back to violating the state driving regulation. Same assholes would ignore every pull off too despite signs everywhere reminding of the state law

The two times I rented an RV I pulled off at every pullover to let people pass and made sure I was in the slow lane when there was a passing lane. Being considerate of others isn't hard, and it had the added personal benefit of reducing the probability that somebody was going to take an unnecessary risk passing me that would put me in danger (staggering number of head on collisions south of Anchorage).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
June 12, 2017, 11:02 PM
Kskelton
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Then there is the asshole that drives 10 under until they hit the passing zone. All of a sudden they drive 10 over so no one can get around them. When the passing zone is done, guess what they do?

Had this issue last week driving to Vegas. Middle of no where speed limit is 75... we're doing 60 max for miles and miles... finally a passing lane, I pull into left lane, look down I'm up to 95 and not passing anybody... passing lane ends, back to 60.... I was so pissed driving out there...

www.OneStopFirearms.com
June 13, 2017, 05:34 AM
Fredward
Sorry, I gotta disagree. No one drops 50 IQ points behind the wheel. They're 50 points under median BEFORE they start driving.
June 13, 2017, 01:40 PM
Georgeair
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

This, almost every time!!! If only the hood mounted turret option came through.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

June 13, 2017, 02:53 PM
HRK
I'd love to see this happen more often, with a ticket to the jackwad blocking the lane

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZhdvl_P1Zc

June 13, 2017, 03:08 PM
kx90
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Sorry, I gotta disagree. No one drops 50 IQ points behind the wheel. They're 50 points under median BEFORE they start driving.
That's true. Maybe it's just more visible on the roadways. LOL

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I'd love to see this happen more often, with a ticket to the jackwad blocking the lane

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZhdvl_P1Zc

I've seen people get pulled over for not passing while in the passing lane, maybe 2 or 3 times, only in NJ though, never seen it happen in any other state.

I was on 295 in NJ one day last summer. Traffic is backed up as we're all doing 55 in a 65. I can see that there is a state trooper right on the bumper of the car in front of him in the passing lane, but they're aren't passing and they're not getting the hint either. I had an opening to move over to the right lane and pass and I took it. I got out in front and got up to about 75 or so. I saw the trooper hit his lights and the car in front of him finally moved over and he took off, went right by me like I was standing still.

I've noticed that on the highways the troopers won't bother with you unless you're being an idiot and weaving in and out of traffic. Going 10mph over isn't going to get you pulled over most days.
June 13, 2017, 03:16 PM
LS1 GTO
I think the classic is in Yuma driving up the 95.

The portion in question is two lanes and 55 mph with some passing and some double-yellow.

Inevitably there's the jackwagon who'll do 50 mph when it's not safe to pass and then speed up to 65 mph when it is safe to pass, only to gradually slow back down when the dashed yellow changes to double-yellow.

Oh and when a passing lane emerges at the 65 mph area? Yup - up to 75-80 mph they go only to slow back down to 60 mph when it's two-lanes @ 65 mph.

It's a great way to start the morning.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

June 13, 2017, 04:40 PM
Leemur
For me it's a six mile stretch leaving work and there's no place to pass. After a 12 hour day I always get behind some joy riding asshole that does 35 in a 55 zone. Mad
June 13, 2017, 05:11 PM
ARMT Guy
I experience this fusrtation pretty much on a daily basis along SC I95.

I'm at the point that I pretty much dodge and weave around these clueless shits in the passing lane nearly instantly upon encountering them. At 5am, there's usually enough room to zip around them in the right lane.

Some, ( not all ) of the truckers though.. Some of these guys seem to LOVE puttering along side by side with another trucker. Not making any attempt to pass. They may have something like a 1/4 mph of over take speed going, at best, when they actually do start to pass. Mad

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

June 13, 2017, 11:26 PM
Icabod
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
I experience this fusrtation pretty much on a daily basis along SC I95.

Some, ( not all ) of the truckers though.. Some of these guys seem to LOVE puttering along side by side with another trucker. Not making any attempt to pass. They may have something like a 1/4 mph of over take speed going, at best, when they actually do start to pass. Mad

I made this rant in February. It went to 7 pages of angst.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.
June 14, 2017, 08:14 AM
JimTheo
Reminds me of an incident I had ~10 years ago:

Driving on rt80 in NJ in fast lane about 10sh over the limit(72-75) and passing folks, LOTS of folks in the middle lane. A car comes screaming up behind me and glues itself to my bumper. Now as an ex cabbie I don't rattle very well so I ignore the a-wipe. However after a while I can and did pull over to the center to let it pass when traffic allowed. No go. The a-wipe sticks to my bumper. Now I'm concerned. I figure there is a jerk behind that wheel. I floor it and take off to get away. Moron follows. NOW I call 911 to report this incident. 10 seconds later the bubble lites go on and I follow the unmarked car to the side of the road. We both get out yelling at one another - him berating me about hogging the left and being a "NY driver". I pointed out I was passing cars and DID move over when traffic allowed.

He calmed down when the radio was calling him to assist a driver in his vicinity reporting an aggressive tailgator....

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either