SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate the freakin' NBA!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate the freakin' NBA! Login/Join 
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted
Sunday evening I wanted to watch the 6 o'clock news. The local station is the only one on Sunday that has a half-hour newscast. The rest are an hour long. I turned to the station and the NBA game, I thought, was almost over, 11.6 seconds to go in a 4 point game. It took over 8 freakin' minutes to play the rest of that game. Strategy my ass! Another reason why I never watch that crap.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I was never entertained by watching grown men try to toss a ball through a netted hoop. Less so now that the grown men are mainly thugs.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first games featured nine players a side, attempting to toss a soccer ball into peach baskets nailed to the balconies at the ends of a gymnasium (when a basket was made, the game paused while a man with a ladder retrieved the ball).

Posts: 2540 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Other than that basketball is a boring game even when it is moving along, the interminable stops and starts at the end of a game make watching basketball pure misery.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I hate it because it's anarchy for entertainment's sake. Rules don't matter. Traveling is consistently ignored, I'm convinced it's because it makes the players seem more athletic plus it adds contact and contention. It seems to me it takes more ability to get a shot off within the constraints of the rules but that's no fun, huh?

There's so much else wrong with the NBA, I quit watching about the time Jordan retired.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
...the grown men are mainly thugs.
Truer words never spoken. I would merely add "criminals" to the list of adjectives.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

I would merely add "criminals" to the list of adjectives.
Noun.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Regardless, I've just gotta say here...

Go Nuggets!

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched or cared about the nba since the Wilt Chamberlain/Jerry West days.

The game is nothing short of horrible now. Basketball was supposed to be a game of finesse, instead of huge, strong men beating the heck out of each other.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My impression of NBA basketball or any basketball for that matter, is of a bunch of grown men in their underwear, bumping into each other.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
Basketball was supposed to be a game of finesse, instead of huge, strong men beating the heck out of each other.

Finesse in college ball went by the wayside when they eliminated the goal tending rules. Lew Alcindor developed his famous sky hook because of those rules (and because it was a very difficult shot to block). You also don't see those beautiful bank shots so much anymore, either, also harder to defend.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
I haven't watched or cared about the nba since the Wilt Chamberlain/Jerry West days.

The game is nothing short of horrible now. Basketball was supposed to be a game of finesse, instead of huge, strong men beating the heck out of each other.

Totally agree, Wilt was the greatest ever IMO and Jerry West was my childhood idol but I digress: Loved the game as a kid, loved to play and then it evolved from when it was less about money and not entirely about shunning anyone white (except for their money).
Moved on years ago. Frown
{sigh}

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I used to be a big fan of NBA basketball back in the 80s. I liked it in the 70s, but the pimp/drug image of it was not good. It took Bird & Magic to make me absolutely love the game. They made it a thinking man's game, fused with hard work, extreme competitiveness, and the sheer will to win. Jordan continued that tradition. But after that, the game turned to shit. I have tried to watch it 10 years ago, but hated it. I have zero interest in the modern day NBA.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They need to rename the league NTA. National Tattoo Association. Not that I am against fine art work with the needle, but I wonder how those guys can jump with all of that ink weighing them down. If a player showed up at Indiana U. with just a few tattoos back in the eighties, Bobby Knight would have handed them a bar of soap and a scrub brush and told them "Come back once you get that $h1t cleaned off!"

Posts: 466 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Bird vs. Magic, Celts vs. Lakers, how could it get better? Jordan. Not the one classic rivalry but transcendent hoops. After that, the team game ended.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Watched some today and had to turn it off. It’s so lame compared to the 80’s, 90’s, or early 2000’s. You can tell things have changed when they are talking about a 7 footer who made the most 3’s this season, in a season. Zone defense, everyone tossing up 3’s, including big men, it’s ridiculous now. That physical game that I loved to watch is dead. Back then, if you were big, you were in the lane drawing fouls or driving to the basket. Now they just all shoot from the perimeter. It’s like college ball. Very weak.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12628 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by randyman:
They need to rename the league NTA. National Tattoo Association. Not that I am against fine art work with the needle, but I wonder how those guys can jump with all of that ink weighing them down. If a player showed up at Indiana U. with just a few tattoos back in the eighties, Bobby Knight would have handed them a bar of soap and a scrub brush and told them "Come back once you get that $h1t cleaned off!"

Can't understand why some enterprising soul hasn't come up with white tattoo ink. There would seem to be a heck of a market.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Seems that half of them just stuff the ball instead of shooting these days. Raise the damn hoop another five feet and bring back some skill.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys sound like a bunch of cantankerous dudes.

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the Houston and Golden State series to be entertaining.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post