SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Specialty tools that are not cool to buy...if you have one let me know...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Specialty tools that are not cool to buy...if you have one let me know... Login/Join 
posted
Front load LG washer about 9 years old started leaking from the front door. Got the new boot ordered, washer disassembled, installed...er, nope! The pieces that hold the secure the boot seal on the inner and outer parts of the tub (wire with a tightly coiled stiff spring to clamp it down) require a special set of pliers to get back on. I have tried all the tricks but no dice. 56 bucks for a tool that isn't cool to show off to the friends when they come over...sigh.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you check to see if there's a Youtube video that could give you a way to do it without the special tool?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Not so much specialty tools as ones needed for a one time use. Time and again, they can collect dust for years then be needed again. It's not uncommon to find tools I've never used again and totally forgot I had.

Point being, maybe those funky pliers will be useful some time again. You're set when that day comes. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
$135 broken spark puller for the abominable Ford 4.6-3V engine. Needed to remove the ONE plug that broke in the hole.
Will likely NEVER need it again.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BDA220:
$135 broken spark puller for the abominable Ford 4.6-3V engine. Needed to remove the ONE plug that broke in the hole.
Will likely NEVER need it again.

And yet I was about to say that you can rent most specialty automotive tools. I rented a slide hammer one time when I swapped out a clutch/pressure plate/flywheel. Haven't had a need to use one since.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Lots of Ford engines V8s and V6s require a cam holding tool to reinstall the cam sprocket if you ever have to remove one. There's no spline or key on the cam to sprocket interface. Of course the dealers all have the tool. Screw you DIYers.

Saw a video of a Mini 4 cyl teardown and had the same setup.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maytag washer bearing replacement tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Install...-wJ-1azQL&ref=plSrch

Will i ever use it again. Not likely.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

MasterCool hydraulic flaring tool, with all the dies. It saw good use when re-running all new brake lines for an FJ-40, but has sat idle ever since.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Dual point manometer to measure inches of water column for when I installed an on-demand 199k BTU water heater and some direct vent natural gas heaters. Of course I needed it ASAP so I had to pay full retail. About $200 or so IIRC.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have a big toilet auger that I haven't used in 20 years. However, that doesn't hurt my feelings in the least. When you do need a big toilet auger, even Amazon Prime cannot get it to you fast enough.

It's the tool I'm happy to own but never use. Oh, fire extinguishers too. I'm happy when they expire unused.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
Snap ring pliers. I needed to replace my motorcycle's shift lever, haven't needed the plier set since. Not a huge expense, just weird they couldn't attach the thing with something more conventional.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 642 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This could turn into the tool sharing thread Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My problem is I buy the speciality tool for one time thing and by the time I need it again I have lost it and end up buying it again

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
O2 sensor socket.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the tools mentioned aren't really "specialty tools," unless you never do maaintenance of any kind...then every tool is a specialty tool.

Items like snap ring pliers, 02 sensor sockets, brake adjustment tools, etc, are pretty standard in most mechanics boxes.

Most mechanics will have a drawer or two full of tools they've made. I've lost track of the number of wrenches and sockets and screwdrivers I've heated and bent, ground down, or specialized for a task.

The seal on the washer can be done with bent screw drivers for leverage, ground and filed so they don't catch or score the rubber. It's finding a tool to get into the correct position that's tricky, and that's easily fixed with any torch warm enough to enable bending the part. Same for pliers that can be bent, or any other tool. In cases like that, harbor freight or craftsman are your friends; they're cheap enough to mod all day long and not worry.

I have tools in my box that I bought just because they looked handy, and sat unused for 20 years...but that ONE time I needed them, they paid for themselves and the long wait, because nothing else would do. I've encountered all kinds of speciality applications on engines that required grinding and bending a wrench to fit a tight spot with a tight clearance; it might be the only application for that tool, but if it's needed, it's needed.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Most mechanics will have a drawer or two full of tools they've made. I've lost track of the number of wrenches and sockets and screwdrivers I've heated and bent, ground down, or specialized for a task.

In cases like that, harbor freight or craftsman are your friends; they're cheap enough to mod all day long and not worry.

When I was working as a mechanic at a rental place, I got into a situation where I needed to modify a wrench to fit. I didn't have one of the right size, so I told the guy I worked with that I was going to run down to the auto parts place and get a cheapie.

He said "Don't bother" and hauled out a SNAP ON wrench, ground it down, heated it up and bent it to shape and handed it to me.

I about shit...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for 15 years I owned a set of piano dolly's,
that was back when I had a truck, when I sold the truck, so went the dolly's.

I got them from a guy for forty dollars.

I think I used them a half dozen times in 15 years.

a couple of people who knew I had them ,
looked at me like
What the .......?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

When I was working as a mechanic at a rental place, I got into a situation where I needed to modify a wrench to fit. I didn't have one of the right size, so I told the guy I worked with that I was going to run down to the auto parts place and get a cheapie.

He said "Don't bother" and hauled out a SNAP ON wrench, ground it down, heated it up and bent it to shape and handed it to me.

I about shit...

I've done that to quite a few snapon tools. Some of the tools, like thin wall sockets, will work where no other tool will fit. I've seen it often. When it comes to adapting a tool, sometimes a good snapon is the way to go. I've used snapon and mag tools to make other tools, heating, bending, welding, to get what I needed. There's a distinct difference in the quality of the tool.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A novelty to own, not fun to buy or use.
Family business... the cesspool business.
Big wrenches to change the valves on the tank trucks.

This is the smaller of the two we had. Don't know where the bigger one went, loaned to someone in the business never to return.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgun45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Did you check to see if there's a Youtube video that could give you a way to do it without the special tool?

I had the same issue with my LG washer. I did find a youtube video that showed how to do it with a pair of pliers and your foot holding it down. Saved me $60.00 on something I would never use again.

Posts: 2049 | Registered: January 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post