SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Specialty tools that are not cool to buy...if you have one let me know...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Specialty tools that are not cool to buy...if you have one let me know... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
A novelty to own, not fun to buy or use.
Family business... the cesspool business.

Just don't grab the wrong one, by mistake.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My dad's got one of those six foot wrenches....he's in the sewage/pump business.

I've had to climb down into a pit and hook up a cable to the thing so dad could winch on it with the boom to get the wrench moving....nothing like being covered in turds and fryed cockroaches....(shudders)

but I've seen my dad make any kinda tool he needed, bend a wrench with a torch in a heartbeat. I guess that is why I don't even think and just cobble soemthing to gether ewith what I have on hand.

I did buy a PEX crimper once a few years ago...haven used it since-but I got the whole SET!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Most mechanics will have a drawer or two full of tools they've made. I've lost track of the number of wrenches and sockets and screwdrivers I've heated and bent, ground down, or specialized for a task.

In cases like that, harbor freight or craftsman are your friends; they're cheap enough to mod all day long and not worry.

When I was working as a mechanic at a rental place, I got into a situation where I needed to modify a wrench to fit. I didn't have one of the right size, so I told the guy I worked with that I was going to run down to the auto parts place and get a cheapie.

He said "Don't bother" and hauled out a SNAP ON wrench, ground it down, heated it up and bent it to shape and handed it to me.

I about shit...

I had guys in my old shop do that and then turned in the modified tool to the SNAP on truck for replacement. I don't recall the Snap On guy having an issue with it.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ordered the tool, got it in, and 5 minutes after opening the box it had served it's purpose. It is essentially a set of snap ring pliers used to stretch a retaining spring. I have a buddy that fixes all his own stuff by researching, buying tools, and then getting it done. You would think he was a specialty mechanic with all his equipment, but that is what 20 years of DIY gets ya...but alas it was just an off size that was needed and time (the wife) dictated it done sooner than later. I'll add it to my collection, who knows.... (I tried the spouse and child combinations for assistance and it wasn't pretty)

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Elec...642K#customerReviews

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have a number of single-function, rarely used specialty tools. The latest ones are a camshaft sprocket holding tool for Ford Triton V8s with variable valve timing, as well as a 16x1.5 compression gauge adapter for the spark plug hole. I don't know when I'll get my next one, but I'll be ready. Surprisingly, Amazon is a good source for these tools, much cheaper and faster than the tool trucks, who wouldn't have had them anyway.

Posts: 27839 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I have at least $200 in tools specifically for my boat outdrive. Maybe more.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post