SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Police Chiefs Dressing Like 3rd World Dictators
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police Chiefs Dressing Like 3rd World Dictators Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Most days my chief comes in wearing just our regular uniform.

He doesn’t wear any bling or anything. His collar brass is gold and says “CHIEF”.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Sheriff of Escambia County, FL. I like him, but the bling is a little much, IMHO.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The campaign ribbons are a bit much .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
but, but, but, but he survived the great budget crisis of '17 and weathered the PowerPoint storm of '18. Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I love that we all support law enforcement but ready to give raspberries to the higher-ups who take themselves too seriously. Rightly so. Wink

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
but, but, but, but he survived the great budget crisis of '17 and weathered the PowerPoint storm of '18. Big Grin
Those appear to be his USAF military ribbons - obviously I don't know how blending your military uniform with your LEO one, but that appears to be the case here.

quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I love that we all support law enforcement but ready to give raspberries to the higher-ups who take themselves too seriously. Rightly so. Wink
Absooooloootely.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Atlanta's Chief isn't too bad I guess.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
quote:
Those appear to be his USAF military ribbons - obviously I don't know how blending your military uniform with your LEO one, but that appears to be the case here.

quote:
Absooooloootely.

Yes, those are USAF ribbons. By the 2 qual badges above the ribbon set, he was both an USAF Security Police/Forces member, and also qualified in Space Operations.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:

That image is mirrored or the badge is on the wrong side.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:

That image is mirrored or the badge is on the wrong side.

It's mirrored. Look at the patch.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
In Ohio, Sheriffs wear one star, the Superintendent of OHP is a Colonel. Most police chiefs wear eagles. Some get a bit full of themselves and wear 4 stars. Sheriffs outrank everyone in their county, so it's kinda funny to see some Andy-and-Barney department chief wearing four times as many stars as the Sheriff.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I can give some perspective. I am both retired military (Air Force OSI) and a current chief of police in Wisconsin.

I wear four stars on my uniform. This is the standard in my area. I felt funny at first due to my military heritage but came to realize that this is not a direct comparison to military rank. In fact, most officers don't understand the correlation at all. For example, 4 stars do not out rank a colonel bird. They are just different. In this part of the Midwest it is common for Sheriffs to wear either 4 stars or a colonel bird while it is more common for chief of police to wear 4 stars.

In Wisconsin, like many other states, a chief wears 4 stars, deputy chief 3 stars, assistant chief 2 stars and a Commander 1 star. There is simply no comparison to military rank in regards to level of responsibility. I am chief at a smaller to mid size department. That said, I am the executive officer for my department just the same as the chief of Milwaukee PD (who runs a much larger department).

Beyond the rank issue I agree that some of the east coast uniforms, though heavy in tradition, look pretty silly. In the Midwest (specifically Wisconsin) our uniforms are pretty standard LAPD style (with LAPD style rank).

Anyway, I am not trying to defend flamboyant police uniforms, but in my experience most chiefs that wear 4 stars or eagles birds do not view themselves the equivalent to military generals and colonels.

Posts: 1465 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: November 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sheriff looks like he’s ready to board Air Force 1. Too much bling. Looks tacky.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Interesting that ribbons are worn on the right side; the opposite of the military. Is this because the LEO's badge is worn exclusively on the left side? Is there some historical precedence for this?

The Escambia County sheriff appears to be wearing military ribbons. Is this common, too?

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Interesting that ribbons are worn on the right side; the opposite of the military.

Often, but not always. Sometimes they're worn above the badge.

quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Is this because the LEO's badge is worn exclusively on the left side?

Yes, the badge is always worn on the left side of the chest, when worn on a uniform shirt. But when worn on a belt, it's worn on the hip in front of the holster, which would be the right hip for most folks.

(The above is true for American police, but there are some countries whose police wear their badges on the right chest, and a number of places where police don't wear badges at all.)

Germany:

Sweden:

quote:
Is there some historical precedence for this?

It's always been that way. I've heard various theories about why the badge is worn on the left chest in my years of LE work, but nothing concrete.

It may have to do with shields traditionally being carried on the left arm, like with medieval knights.

Or it may have to do with the left pectoral being traditionally the "location of the heart", such as when putting your hand over your heart during the Pledge/National Anthem, (even though anatomically the heart is mostly centered behind the sternum with just a slight left offset).

quote:
The Escambia County sheriff appears to be wearing military ribbons. Is this common, too?

Not in my experience. But there are tens of thousands of LE agencies in the US, and every agency sets their own uniform policies, so there may be some that allow it. Or that may just be that Sheriff exercising his privileges of rank to add more pieces of flair to the uniform.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
quote:

quote:
Absooooloootely.

Yes, those are USAF ribbons. By the 2 qual badges above the ribbon set, he was both an USAF Security Police/Forces member, and also qualified in Space Operations.

So how do those ribbons/badges apply to his job as police chief/sheriff?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post