SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    1st world archery parent problems
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st world archery parent problems Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
When your daughter destroys 3 arrows during practice drills with her coach leaving her with only 7 arrows in her quiver with less than 2 weeks to go until Nationals...

Yes, less than 2 weeks to go until Nationals and our daughter only has 7 outdoor arrows ready to go. Outdoor has 6 arrow ends leaving her with only 1 spare in case things go wrong; dropped arrow, broken arrow, lost arrow, pass through, etc. Not enough of a comfort factor for me. I've got all the pieces and parts to build another set except for the shafts. Called her sponsor, they can't guarantee shipping in time so sucked it up and paid full retail and overnight shipping from an online supplier.

So now keep fingers crossed there's enough time for shipping, building a set and then getting to the range for sight in and nock tuning before we get on a plane for North Carolina...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Didn't you say in a previous thread that those arrows cost you $300 each? Ouch!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
$382.00 for a set (12) of bare shafts, no fletchings, points, nock adapters or nocks +$25 for 2 day air shipping.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Holy crap

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Another archery dad put it in perspective for me; it's the price I pay for my daughter being so good at what she does.

posted Hide Post
Compared to a lot of fathers, you stepped it up a nock notch.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Better spending $382 for shafts to avoid spending a whole lot more at rehabs and therapists later on.

I'm assuming the things she's learning to be good at archery are things she can and does apply in other areas in her life.

You have my moral support if that helps. Keep it up.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things sure have changed since I used port oxford cedar shafts for my 60 pound draw weight Howard Hill long bow, life was a bit simpler then, no sights on bow, no wheels, 3 finger bow glove, releases were in their infancy.
Now due to arthritis I can’t even string that bow, much less pull it. Tried to sell my old archery stuff a couple of years ago, no one around here wanted traditional archery gear.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it all pays off in some regard - be it Olympics, schoarships, etc.

Not being athletically gifted, I pushed mine to excel in school and told them that was their job. So far, so good! Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
And she destroyed another one in team practice last night. Ugh!

Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

Put it in a Bud Light sign? Big Grin

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
quote:

LMFAO!

posted Hide Post
quote:
When your daughter destroys 3 arrows during practice drills with her coach leaving her with only 7 arrows in her quiver with less than 2 weeks to go until Nationals...

Yes, less than 2 weeks to go until Nationals and our daughter only has 7 outdoor arrows ready to go. Outdoor has 6 arrow ends leaving her with only 1 spare in case things go wrong; dropped arrow, broken arrow, lost arrow, pass through, etc. Not enough of a comfort factor for me. I've got all the pieces and parts to build another set except for the shafts. Called her sponsor, they can't guarantee shipping in time so sucked it up and paid full retail and overnight shipping from an online supplier.

So now keep fingers crossed there's enough time for shipping, building a set and then getting to the range for sight in and nock tuning before we get on a plane for North Carolina...

What you fail to mention is that any shaft of that model will not do. You have to have the right sku for her length of pull and her draw weight. Not all the folks here know that. Shaft xyz from manufacturer a, may have 10 different versions based on draw length and draw weight. It is not a go down to walley world and pull one out of a box kind of deal.

As for making new ones, It isn;t terribly hard. it takes a while. What is difficult is to be incredibly percise arrow to arrow in how you make them. That is a bitch.

good luck, at moments like these i am glad my daughter just likes horses, and boys. I can not buy one and shoot the other.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Well...at least she's not hunting with them.

I relayed this thread to a co-worker who's an avid bow hunter and he laughed hard because we have a mutual friend who is also a bow hunter, but subscribes to the "most expensive is best" mindset.

He decided to hunt with competition arrows for that very reason and there was no talking him out of it. You can imagine the results when the deer made its final run through the woods with an arrow sticking out of it. He still insists it was the arrow that allowed him to make the shot, sooo...and it's a small price to pay in destroyed arrows. LOL

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Well, if you're not breaking arrows your not shooting. I do understand the frustration though. I can destroy/lose a half dozen in a week, then go months losing nothing but the occasional fletch.

Nothing like a moonlight stroll through the woods and having a couple stripped out of your quiver.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
At least she has sponsors for most of her equipment!

Posts: 829 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
quote:

I'd almost forgotten about that...

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Can she use cheap ones to practice with?
Like practice ammo for us?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, no. Arrows are going to fly completely and totally different based on weight, spine, length, point weight, etc. Our daughter uses Carbon Express Nano RZ for outdoor arrows, a very lightweight, small diameter arrow shaft. There's really nothing else that's going to fly equivalent to what they do. In the past she's typically had 2 sets of arrows, they were the same, one for practice and one for tournaments. Her practice arrows were typically her tournament arrows from the season before. Problem is this year with her becoming a staff shooter for Carbon Express, this is her first set of arrows and we don't have a backup set, lesson learned.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
No different in buying a case of quality ammo, at least you can reshoot most of them. Big Grin

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post