SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    1st world archery parent problems
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st world archery parent problems Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
$382.00 for a set (12) of bare shafts, no fletchings, points, nock adapters or nocks +$25 for 2 day air shipping.

Damn. Those are some expensive sticks.

But who am I to say anything, since I have some $150 sticks in my driver and three wood. (And those aren't even all that expensive by golf club standards.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
update???

Did the shafts that you had to purchase arrive and do you have them set up?

Is additional set on way from sponsor (as a future backup)

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
$382.00 for a set (12) of bare shafts, no fletchings, points, nock adapters or nocks +$25 for 2 day air shipping.

Damn.

And I get annoyed at spending about 1/3 of that for my blanks.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
update???

Did the shafts that you had to purchase arrive and do you have them set up?

Is additional set on way from sponsor (as a future backup)

Supposedly they're on the truck for delivery and have been since 8:41 this morning...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You are literally getting the shaft.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Shafts arrived tonight. Had a few minutes to swing by the shop on the way into work to drop them off. Furiously texting back and forth with one of our bow techs about having them put together tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed hat it happens.

I think the biggest hugs I ever received from my daughter is when my wife told her last night I had new arrows on order.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
How or why do the shafts break? Are they designed to only take X number of cycles?

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
How or why do the shafts break? Are they designed to only take X number of cycles?

Any number of reasons. The coolest is a Robin Hood, shooting one arrow into the back of another. An archer's first one is cool, then after that it's, "Crap broke another arrow!" Skipping them off the floor at indoor or off a rock at outdoor will also do it. People who lose a tip off the arrow in a bale and leave it in the bale also create the potential for breakage. Hitting the side the target stand. Basically an impact with a hard object will do it. Carbon fiber while strong is a brittle material that will break when its bent too far.

The case with my daughter and her coach the other night was a practice drill. He had a series of tea light candles set up on a wooden stand. The object is to shoot the flame out at 20 yards. Pass the arrow close enough to extinguish the flame and leave the candle in place. It's a drill to work focus and aiming at a small target. Our daughter did extinguish a number of them, but unfortunately hit the wooden stand on three occasions.

Not mad at my daughter, but I am a little annoyed with her coach.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Why not aluminum or titanium shafts? Would they be less prone to shattering?

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
Why not aluminum or titanium shafts? Would they be less prone to shattering?

Aluminum shafts are used by some for indoor target archery. They are heavier, but indoor distances are much shorter and there's no wind to contend with. Carbon is much lighter and flies at a higher velocity, so less drop and less prone to wind drift. The Easton aluminum shafts that I shoot for indoor target weigh 11.8 grains per inch of shaft length. My daughter's Carbon Express Nano Pro RZ carbon shafts that she uses for outdoor weigh 7.6 grains per inch of shaft length. More important the diameter of my indoor shafts is .359" and my daughter's outdoor arrows are only .200".

Titanium would probably be cost prohibitive not to mention tough to work with to get to the tight tolerances for straightness. My daughter's arrows tolerance for straightness is +/-.00015".

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Nothing says happiness like a quiver full of new arrows...

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation! Makes a lot of sense.