SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gas Leak - Road Repairs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas Leak - Road Repairs Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Road in front of my house was just paved this past summer, gets done every 15 or 20 years (neighborhood road). Washington Gas is out there digging up the road directly in front of my house making a mess. Last time when they replaced the gas lines, prior to repaving, sub did shitty work and I was always cleaning up loose asphalt out front when I did the lawn and cracks formed after 3 months. Also they left asphalt in my yard, which if you have every had to clear asphalt from your grass is not very easy.

First world problem, but I liked my street pretty, now it's going to be all cut up and poorly patched. Plus the jack hammers aren't exactly quite, sleep may also be a problem for the evening.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Fixed the hole with fucking cold patch. Assholes. Will have a nice rut for ice to form right at the end of my driveway and little pieces of asphalt tracked into the house for years to come. Oh, joy!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I have never understood why they use that junk (cold patch) it never last's and is a classic waste of tax payers money.

Some of the stuff they are using for new pavement now isn't much better, a classic example is a new stretch of Interstate/US hwy behind my house. It hasn't been finished 6 years and they are already re-doing it.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
If your road was just repaved this summer, I would ask your town to repair it with Infra-red.
This is a propane heated grill like structure that is placed over the repair and old roadway until the asphalt it hot enough to melt it and let the old and new bond. They then roll it and it is now again one unit that water will not penetrate. When I worked for a water utility, every summer we put out a contract to do this process to every section on road we had to dig up. It isn't much more money than a normal repair, and the last I heard is that our county is making this repair mandatory for any/all road openings.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
If your road was just repaved this summer, I would ask your town to repair it with Infra-red.
This is a propane heated grill like structure that is placed over the repair and old roadway until the asphalt it hot enough to melt it and let the old and new bond. They then roll it and it is now again one unit that water will not penetrate. When I worked for a water utility, every summer we put out a contract to do this process to every section on road we had to dig up. It isn't much more money than a normal repair, and the last I heard is that our county is making this repair mandatory for any/all road openings.

Thanks for the tip!

I took a tamper to it when I got home today and evened out the tire ruts through it. Needed to leave again, drove over it. 2" rut where my tire passed over it. Not acceptable. I am going to call my Supervisor on county board and see if they can advise me who I need to call VDOT/County/Utility.

All of the cores they drilled for their sniffer they filled with something like obsidian. Looks like black glass and just chipped away when I kicked it. Anyone know what that stuff is?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Slag?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
First world problem, but I liked my street pretty, now it's going to be all cut up and poorly patched.

I have the same first world problem courtesy of our water department. They did some kind of work that resulted in digging up a long section of road leading into our cul-de-sac and terminating directly at the end of my drive. Left us with a really crappy patch job. Mad

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
First world problem, but I liked my street pretty, now it's going to be all cut up and poorly patched.

I have the same first world problem courtesy of our water department. They did some kind of work that resulted in digging up a long section of road leading into our cul-de-sac and terminating directly at the end of my drive. Left us with a really crappy patch job. Mad

In our utility the first patch is usually rough and done with a base. we wait for at least 6 months for the ground to settle before the final patch is done. The road will settle even with the required compaction with every foot of soil filled in. Hope they come back and do yours to your satisfaction.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Town supervisor (Similar to councilman) coming over in the morning to check out repairs. Decided to google him and what a coincidence, he works for Washington Gas. Great news, he will hopefully know exactly who to contact.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Back in the 80's built a house in a new subdivision and just before we went out of town for a family visit, the contractor came by and said there was a drainage issue and needed to access our property (back yard), to put in "a swail", and I asked what the scope of works was to be done, he told me: "We are going to do a slight graded depression about a foot wide and 3-4 inches deep." So I told him to press on.

Came back and there was a 3 foot deep 6 foot wide "canal" in my backyard, transverse the entire length and under the fence. Sod was destroyed and I was about a hundred yards beyond pissed.

But, I gave him permission.

Funny, how over a short period of time, it seemed to diminish in dimension...

Learned that "Stand Your Ground: may make you an "asshole" to those who encounter you, but remember, you can always change your name to "Dave".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
First world problems, indeed.

In WI, they PAVE roads with cold patch. It's the most irritating shit I've ever seen in my life.

And the best part is they don't roll it, tamp it, or do anything useful - they just fucking dump it on the road in piles and let traffic pack it down for them. Every spring, you get pieces of it all over your fucking car.

Dumbest shit I've ever seen.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
My home town has some of the dumbest people working for them. Check out this asphalt ridge they placed along the edge of the road. You have to drive over it to park in front of the house or turn into your drive way.

Looks like photo bucket is doing maintenance.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
My home town has some of the dumbest people working for them. Check out this asphalt ridge they placed along the edge of the road. You have to drive over it to park in front of the house or turn into your drive way.

Www.postimage.org

No account needed, no signing in, no ads. 60 seconds from taking picture to properly sized and posted on SIGforum. Drop photofuckit.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:...

I heard they're applying a cold patch...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Well...here it is.

You want the water to run off the road and into the ground and not down the road and into the river.

Also in the winter time, water on the road will freeze and snow plows will not see the asphalt curb and tear it up hopefully when plowing the snow.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Well...here it is.

You want the water to run off the road and into the ground and not down the road and into the river.

Also in the winter time, water on the road will freeze and snow plows will not see the asphalt curb and tear it up hopefully when plowing the snow.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Around here if a town re-paves a road the utilities can't tear it up for at least 5 years except in the case of a leak or other emergency.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Around here if a town re-paves a road the utilities can't tear it up for at least 5 years except in the case of a leak or other emergency.

I believe here it is a 2 years, and as you said unless it is an emergency. We also don't allow road openings normally from November 15 until March as the asphalt plants normally close for the winter unless it is unusually warm. In a pinch you can usually find a plant somewhere in the county running.

Living the Dream

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Town Supervisor just stopped by. He didn't bother to turn down his rap music in his car when he pulled up, I don't care, but it's amusing.

Washington Gas contractors came two weeks back to patch the hole. He said it was his doing that got it done. They also patched the two in the brand new intersection that the water/sewer contractor dug up. Wheels of justice are slow, but it got fixed.

They did miss three core holes they drilled for finding the leak, he said they would try to get them back to patch those too. He also said he would get someone to mow the lawn of the abandoned house a few houses down.

Thank you Koran (yes, that's his name, I have not converted).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I'm glad they did a good repair.

Living the Dream