SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    5.56 at the indoor range
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5.56 at the indoor range Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It's gonna be great when NASCAR, Harly's and NHRA go all electrics.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
The last time I was shooting my AR indoors, there was a group next to me shooting a Barret M82. I don't think I was bothering anyone.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Man up and recognize there are other shooters there besides you. Back when I lived there, I shot extensively at Scottsdale Gun Club. They allow - and have for rent - rifle-caliber machine guns and rifles up to 8100 ft. lb. of muzzle smash. Once somebody rented a FN MAG (aka M240), a 7.62-caliber machine gun, and set up next to me. (Lanes were assigned.) I didn't let it bother me; in fact I paused for a few moments to watch it being fired. Concentrate on your own shooting and learn to "tune out" the background noise.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
Seriously? For fuck's sake, what a buzz-kill when you're trying to do a little target shooting with your handgun and the cowboy in the next lane starts blasting away with a 5.56 carbine.

Doesn't matter that I double-up on hearing protection (plugs and muffs) when I shoot indoors.
The muzzle blast and concussion is significant and uncomfortable.

And, I might add, this is a small range. Roll Eyes

Reminds me of when I was stationed at Ft. Knox, back in 1955-56. I had bought a 357 magnum pistol and went to the post indoor range to try it out.

Range NCO got to me about the time I fired the 3rd shot, and not so politely asked me to stop shooting and leave. I asked him why, and he took me back to the steel plate backstops. There were three holes in it. He said if I used 38 special ammo I could shoot, otherwise nope! I can only imagine what a 5.56 would do to the range facility.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am prepared for a little noise at the range. But the nearby detonation of a braked .338 Lapua bringing down a cloud of dirt and dead /alive bugs from the overhead is kinda distracting.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting handguns at a new local indoor range, and there's always someone with a rental 5.56, AK, or shotgun with slugs.

Worst was a short barrel .308 AR in the next lane. I double up plugs and muffs usually so it's not a huge deal. I don't like the concussion and blast but it's not against the rules, so...

I just don't get guys blasting away with an AR at like 7-10 yards, and not getting the groups they should be getting. I don't think I've seen anyone shoot at 25 yards with a sight-in target. The outdoor private rifle range I belong to has 50 and 100 yard berms for centerfire rifles. Only pistols and rimfires at the closer traps.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I've been shooting handguns at a new local indoor range, and there's always someone with a rental 5.56, AK, or shotgun with slugs.

Worst was a short barrel .308 AR in the next lane. I double up plugs and muffs usually so it's not a huge deal. I don't like the concussion and blast but it's not against the rules, so...

I just don't get guys blasting away with an AR at like 7-10 yards, and not getting the groups they should be getting. I don't think I've seen anyone shoot at 25 yards with a sight-in target. The outdoor private rifle range I belong to has 50 and 100 yard berms for centerfire rifles. Only pistols and rimfires at the closer traps.

I just had that happen- I was doing some ammo testing at the Keystone range in Cranberry PA area. Chap sets up next to me with a braked .338 Lapua. I had lined up cartridges on the booth tabletop and every time that beast went off the cartridges jumped up about an inch in the air and fell over. I decided I wouldn't even bother trying to shoot until he was done.
YooperSigs was right- dust was coming down from the ceiling like a light snow...
(But hey, it IS a range).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's life with public ranges. Nothing more annoying than being sandwiched by muzzle braked AR shooters on BOTH sides of you. I will say that it was very effective in getting me to save my ammo for another day.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Well, the good news is that there are fewer and fewer people at the range every week.

Bad news for those who can't get ammo, but good news for those who can.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Well, the good news is that there are fewer and fewer people at the range every week.

Bad news for those who can't get ammo, but good news for those who can.
I noticed that this week . Big Grin

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The indoor range I use as a member allows rimfire rifles, handguns up to .45 caliber, and muzzle-loading firearms. Centerfire rifles, pistol caliber carbines, full auto weapons, and shotguns are prohibited.

This is a 10-station 50-foot indoor range located inside the city limits, in operation since 1937, completely rebuilt to NRA recommended standards about 15 years ago (and participating in NRA's very good range insurance program). Excellent ventilation, heating and air conditioning, good parking. Becoming a member requires NRA membership, criminal & civil background check, proof of NRA firearms safety training (available at the range), and a 2-hour class on range procedures and safety.

As a member I pay $90 per year and receive an electronic key-card for access 24 hours per day. I am allowed one guest, subject to my responsibility for supervision. Two cameras monitor every shooting station with others providing coverage of every part of the range other than the restrooms. Safety violations result in either repeating the safety training or expulsion of a member. Several certified instructors available for beginners and advanced defensive training.

Open to the general public 2 evenings per week with range safety officers always in attendance during those times. Local junior marksmanship club has one evening per week for training, occasional weekend days blocked off for competitions. A group of member ladies have one evening per week for their events.

Two miles from my home. Quiet secure location with lighted parking areas. Location is part of a city park. I frequently go there during the early morning hours and seldom find anyone else on the premises. Turn on the lights, HVAC, ventilation (all on a timed cycle), take care of business, leave when I am done.

I value this facility and my membership. I have no problem complying with the rules, and I frequently volunteer on days scheduled for maintenance work.

I also remember the "bad old days" in the past when I found a couple of guys with SMG's and 6-packs having a good old time, but paying little attention to any safety measures.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
We are fucked here locally. The indoor range allows 556 fmj’s and has a dedicated rifle range but it’s a whole 50 yards. The local outdoor range is 100 yards but does not allow FMJ’s, has to be hollow points and I don’t buy 556 JHP’s. Indoor range does not allow steel so no AK firing. I just wait for when I can go to the country and not have all these rules.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
We are fucked here locally. The indoor range allows 556 fmj’s and has a dedicated rifle range but it’s a whole 50 yards. The local outdoor range is 100 yards but does not allow FMJ’s, has to be hollow points and I don’t buy 556 JHP’s. Indoor range does not allow steel so no AK firing. I just wait for when I can go to the country and not have all these rules.
The bummer is that they usually bring several friends and no other guns so they shoot 500 rounds of ammo at a target 50 feet away. I sold my .223 pistol and bought a Sig MCX carbine 9MM instead because a short barrel .223 is ridiculous indoors and I can't shoot outdoors enough to justify it.

Posts: 3909 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Its a gun range. It's gonna be loud. Provided it's within the rules, you're just gonna have to get used to it...maybe even appreciate it as good training for dealing with the noise and pandemonium that you would likely experience in a gunfight.

That said, I don't see shooting rifles on a short indoor range...I just don't understand what benefit one expects to get from doing that. I guess maybe you could use it to set up a 25-yard zero if you had nowhere else to shoot, but beyond that I just don't see how you can get anything productive out of it.

I personally don't like shooting indoors, period. It's smoky, cramped, and not as well lit. This time of year, when folks migrate inside, I just put on my coat and hat and enjoy the solitude outdoors. Plus, heavy winter clothing helps cushion the shoulder from some of the harder-recoiling toys Big Grin.

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
then you will hate me when i take my 30.06 to the indoor range

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
The local outdoor range is 100 yards but does not allow FMJ’s, has to be hollow points and I don’t buy 556 JHP’s. Indoor range does not allow steel so no AK firing. I just wait for when I can go to the country and not have all these rules.

A local indoor range I shot at years ago wouldn't allow reloads, so I bought a few boxes of factory and when I went in, they'd ask to check the ammo I brought. I'd bring out the boxes of factory stuff.

Then when I went into the range I'd pull out my reloads which were in the same distinctive blue factory boxes as the factory stuff and shoot them.

The range inspectors must have seen those same boxes with factory over 200 times and I still have them to this day.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Man up and recognize there are other shooters there besides you.

Nahhh. Even doubling up with soft ear plugs and best protective earmuffs, it's too much.

I recognize the eargeschplittenlaudenboomer shooters there and retreat until they are done, so I can save what hearing I have left.

No harm, no foul.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It mainly just sucks to be the other guy when somebody next to you is shooting a shorter barrel 5.56 or thumper handgun. What would make this story really funny is if you were also shooting 5.56.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I was a 12B Combat Engineer, and in the late nineties I was in the ARNG. I moved to California where there were no 12B units, so I was assigned to an artillery unit.

Nothing seems loud anymore. Just sayin'.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
LGS has 63 indoor lanes and separate rifle ranges for 50 and 75 yards. However one can shoot most common pistol caliber cartridge rifles in the "pistol range" but not 5.56.

I also go to a newer range, Shoot Point Plank, and it is amazing what they have done there as far as noise control because it is a pleasure to shoot at. My son was shooting his 44 magnum revolver in the next lane and it was not in the least bit bothersome and never heard anything that was while shooting there while using their pistol range.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post