SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Shysters on TV
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shysters on TV Login/Join 
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted
Just saw this, I think I need a shower.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometime if you're up around 5-6 AM, check out the BET network. The black owners of the network sell TV time to white TV evangelists to rip off gullible poor black people . So much for racial identity .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
He was the one that got caught with an ear piece through which his wife was feeding him information that staff gathered before that show.

"Hi, what's your name?" Mary? What you here for, hon? Arthritis on your left knee? Bless your heart.

Then during the show, Popoff with his wife talking to him, "go to the right side.

Is there a M.. Mary? Is there a Mary on this side and your left knee is hurting?

Just sow your seed faith money so you can reap a bountiful harvest!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As the country song says, they ask you to send your money to the Lord but they give you their address. My theory has always been that in reality, these people are all atheists. Otherwise wouldn't they fear God's judgement for ripping people off their entire lives ?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
See the movie Fletch Lives to watch how this is done. R Lee Ermey plays the evangelist.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5052 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
I typed and then deleted....something to do with Oral Robbery and the games of evangelist types.
I'll let the good father deal with them at the gates.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My younger daughter's first husband was very, VERY religious: non-denominational, born-again, TV evangelist edition.

The particular shyster that he (and temporarily, she) were under the spell of used what I think was originally an Oral Roberts claim: "You give my church (that is to say, me...) money and The Lord will return it to you ten-fold."

I asked her "If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense for him to give YOU the money and HE gets the 10-fold return?"

She eventually came to her senses, hubby never spoke to me again. Win-win as far as I was concerned.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15223 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peter POPOFF. The name should be a clue.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/MMSpFkvPOAM [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part II
[FLdASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/hnbVqwV8aw4 [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
James Randi exposed Popoff in the 1980s. Besides the earpiece broadcasting information, he had been nformation cards that people filled out before the show. This Popoff used to target people and supposedly "cure" then. The con also used their own wheelchairs. Fit people were placed in the chairs and "cured." A lot of this played on people's desire to believe and wish to help.
The saddest part was the child in a wheelchair. He wasn't selected to be "cured." As he left he was crying and blaming himself for not having enough faith. Popoff deserves a special place in hell.

https://www.amazon.com/Faith-H...-Randi/dp/0879755350

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I asked her "If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense for him to give YOU the money and HE gets the 10-fold return?"

Comedy gold! Smile

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who lived in L.A.. His wife and him actually gave their very nice home to their church.
He does not talk about it, so I do not know the full details. I do know his wife died of cancer.
The problem is, is that this guy is not an easy mark. If I told you his job in L.A. you would know that he is not easy.
It still does not make sense.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I lived in Lynchburg in the early 70's and Jerry Falwell took advantage of older people in donating large sums of money to the church. I met one lady one time on a return flight who said she was making a donation to the church and lived out of the area. Some time later, one of Falwell's relatives was caught with his hand in the cookie jar and went to jail.

He also had his followers soliciting people to join his church and donate ten percent of their income.

I worked at GE Moble Radio and two of the employees were always soliciting people at work. One day, they are bothering me and my boss overheard the conversation. He intervened and asked them who they worked for. That was the last time we saw them and I assume they were fired. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Shameful, the whole lot.

Cures and miracles for purchase, what a scam.

At least the QVC lot preying on old people gives them something for their money, even over-priced as it is.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I enjoy Ron White's bit on giving money to a televangelist:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/l3rBBRIVYsc

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23245 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The BEST is he touts this Holy Water, and it's in a damn little plastic packet thing like Mayo or mustard comes in from Burger King....LOLOLOL Call today to get your miracle water!!!!!!!! It really is truly amazing how gullible people are.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
The "prosperity gospel" seems to attract a disproportionate number in the Black community. It isn't Biblical, but, other than trying to hide behind God, it gets people the same way the pigeon drop, Nigerian "misplaced" millions or any other con game works. It thrives on people who want something for nothing, or an exorbitant amount for very little.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post