SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Apple - The New Microsoft!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple - The New Microsoft! Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Waiting at the Apple Store now to get my wife’s iPhone fixed after it was hosed by one of the latest iOS updates! They knew immediately what the problem was as soon as I started describing it and said another update had been sent out to “fix” that one, but it’s too late because my wife’s phone won’t run more than a few moments without resetting itself!

What happened to the days when this stuff was tested in-house and not make the consumer do it for them??? Mad

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You think customers have rights, don't you? Poor sap. Shut up and pay the man. Again.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Apple has become a despised name in our house in the last 5 years or so. We gave up our iPhones several years ago with no regrets. My son has completely dumped his Macbook Pro for a high-end Thinkpad and is much happier. Even though I have a couple of Macbooks for work, I still much prefer my Thinkpads. I will not buy a new Macbook. Apple lost its mojo awhile ago. And I'm a guy who bought his first Apple Computer in the early 90s (Macintosh II ci for 3000 bucks).

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
You think customers have rights, don't you? Poor sap. Shut up and pay the man. Again.

LOL.... That’s pretty much the truth these days!

Thankfully they got it fixed fairly quickly at no charge and with no data lost. Still sucks having had to deal with the hassle to begin with! So MicroSoft-like...

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Oddball- do you have high level points? Not that disagree. But I did consider a Mac before buying a Surface Pro. But was swayed mostly by cost. What types of issues might one expect on Mac?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apple isn't perfect but I'll take them all day long over Android with which updates take forever since most phones require the phone maker and the carrier to mess with it first. Then HTC stopped supporting my old work phone after two years.

As for computers, Windows 10 is a massive, terrible disaster. I paid through the nose for this damn MacBook but it's simply the price to pay to avoid Microsoft.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I've just quit doing apple's stupid, useless updates on my 6plus. I have no use for updates that enhance my gaming experience or make it easier to use facebook, or whatever.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
My son just upgraded to the latest iPhone about a week and a half ago. We were talking last night and his phone dumped four (4) times in less than 3 minutes. He would call me back and each time he would get out about 4 or 5 words and it would go down again.

You can believe if I spent that much money it would be going back.

I have just dumped M/S for Mac but it is an older model (Mid 2011) MC812LL/A. So far all seems good. Hope it stays that way.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Everybody screws up every once-in-a-while, and Apple is certainly no exception. In fact I'm still waiting for them to release a version of 11.x that I can be fairly confident won't trash my wife's and my 6S' and iPads in one-way-or-another.

But Apple iOS has a sterling security record, compared to Android's, the latter of which is about on-par with Microsoft MS-Windows' record. That is to say: Execrable.

Sure: You get lower cost and a lot more flexibility with things like Android and MS-Windows, but at the cost of sacrificing reliability (irony noted) and security.

I'll take Apple. And this is coming from somebody who used to not like Apple or Apple stuff very much. I still miss much of the stuff I could do with Android, but I do not miss the insecurity of living with its vulnerabilities. Not in the least.

Oh, and as for having to go to an Apple store to get a wonky iPhone straightened-out? Have an upgrade trash a typical Android phone (it happens) and tell me where you'd go for relief?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Oh, and as for having to go to an Apple store to get a wonky iPhone straightened-out? Have an upgrade trash a typical Android phone (it happens) and tell me where you'd go for relief?

I took my Motorola Atrix to the AT&T store and they gave me a new one.
Haven't had any issues with my 3 year old Samsung.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm slowly but surely migrating back to Android and Microsoft. I found that I get involuntary upgrades to my Iphone and ipad that kill my device when theres a new product release. They work but so slowly I cant consider using them as a primary anymore. Its worth it though, I can have a F'in squirrel head when I look at myself in the camera or some such nonsense. Roll Eyes

Meanwhile the cheap Asus convertible laptop I got last year is running strong and I can draw on the screen which actually is something I use often, the Pixel I just picked up takes amazing pictures and has alot of features I missed when I switched to Iphone.

If you do graphic design or something Apple may still be the big game in town but for my purposes I'm just fine with my windows stuff. I prefer to have control over my device and I think the tables have turned, the Android/Windows products seem to be making real innovations like writing on my touchscreen and talking to people in other languages with real time translation. I can send a real time frank and beans drawing to a co worker on my apple stuff. Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I'd never own an iphone especially now where apparently the older model iphones are suddenly draining the battery 50% or more faster than they were before the most recent iphone came out.

Posts: 6349 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey!
Hold my beer!
Picture of rkight3
posted Hide Post
My daughter, through her scholarship, was given a choice of a 13" MacBook pro, or a comparably priced windows laptop. She chose the MacBook pro. She has been bragging to everyone that she's getting an awesome MacBook.

When it gets here, she powers it up, and tries to use her favorite mouse with it. (Logitech thumb trackball mouse). The Mac has only two external connectors, thunderbolt 3. Wtf? $1300 tiny laptop with two useless fucking connectors on it. Ok, not useless, BUT, no normal USB? Nope, that's too primitive for Apple. Off to best buy, $70 fucking dollars for an adapter so she can use all her usb stuff like her mouse reciever, thumb drive, and even charge her apple phone. Lol, can't even charge her apple phone with her apple laptop. But it looks pretty! (Not anymore with an adapter hanging off it so she can use USB stuff!)

My 2 year old Toshiba laptop still blows her Mac away with speed and processing power, but she still loves her little Mac. It seems every day, her Mac can't do something her old pc did, or at least not without some workaround or give and take. But she still loves her Mac.

First thing her scholarship will require her to have on her new Mac? Microsoft Office.

I don't get it. (Apple)

Posts: 2395 | Location: Western Kentucky. | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rkight3:
First thing her scholarship will require her to have on her new Mac? Microsoft Office.
LibreOffice is a FREE work-alike for Microsoft Office.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Apple isn't perfect but I'll take them all day long over Android with which updates take forever since most phones require the phone maker and the carrier to mess with it first.

What are you talking about? What updates do you need that you are so impatient for? And android doesn't need a store for people to go to when their shit stops working after an update.

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Never had an update that required any relief....

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I just switched from windows to MAC and am still learning different things like how to cut and paste and print as far as I can tell there is no way to print at all from the notes app. So I have to email it to my self and print from my mail. Mac is definitely a different learning curve from windows. However I still like my Mac better than my old windows based machine. I started out hating the mouse but now I love it and the keyboard is a dream.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey!
Hold my beer!
Picture of rkight3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by rkight3:
LibreOffice is a FREE work-alike for Microsoft Office.

Scholarship is paying for it, and requires her to have it. I just think it's funny, Apple, Microsoft...

Posts: 2395 | Location: Western Kentucky. | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
I just switched from windows to MAC and am still learning different things like how to cut and paste and print as far as I can tell there is no way to print at all from the notes app. So I have to email it to my self and print from my mail. Mac is definitely a different learning curve from windows.
If you know the keyboard shortcuts for cut and paste in Windows, they are almost identical for MAC.

Windows:
  • CNTRL-C: Copy
  • CNTRL-X: Cut
  • CNTRL-V: Paste
For Mac, just use the Command (CMD) key instead of the Control (CNTRL) key. Or, these commands are available in the Edit drop-down menu in most apps. Or, right-click with your mouse (if you have a one-button mouse, hold the CNTRL key down while you click) and you will get a menu offering copy, cut, an paste.

As far as printing from the Notes app, yup, it's there. The File drop-down menu for most apps, including Notes, has a Print selection. Look near the bottom of the drop-down.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
and print as far as I can tell there is no way to print at all from the notes app. So I have to email it to my self and print from my mail.

As previously stated, choose File -> Print from the menu,

or use the keyboard shortcut Cmd-P.

These menu selections and keyboard shortcuts work for every Mac application. Every. Single. One.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

What are you talking about? What updates do you need that you are so impatient for? And android doesn't need a store for people to go to when their shit stops working after an update.

I'm talking about phone manufacturers doing something even more forceful in terms of obsoleting hardware than Apple. A few years ago my employer bought us all HTC phones and one of their claims that our ops manager liked was their promise to provide speedy releases of the software updates. That was total horse shit. They did one OS update, months after most other phones have it and after that, no more updates. As for what I'm waiting for, I can't comment since I don't really follow the additions that come with new versions of Android but there's always new stuff in every release.

I've had iPhone as my personal device since 2010 and have NEVER had an update do anything that required a visit or even so much as a real fault. Occasionally an app takes a few days or weeks for the publisher to update but that's not on Apple.

On the other hand, since the carriers are allowed to mess with Android, Sprint pushed out this absurd voicemail app that looked like it was designed for children that was not notifying me of messages and at the same time disabled the old method of dialing 1 to get your messages I've used since 2000. That took several phone calls to fix. Nevermind the total lack of quality control for apps on Google Play. People complain about how Apple runs the App Store being heavy handed but at least if I download an app I know it's going to work.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post