SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Well, I poured the epoxy on my tabletop...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, I poured the epoxy on my tabletop... Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
...And I fucked it up. I didn't have enough epoxy on hand (not entirely my fault; the back of the box said a quart of the mixed stuff can do 6.4 ft^2 of material, and the instruction card said 9 ft^2, so I only had 2 quarts on hand; I should have erred on the side of caution and dropped the cash for the gallon containers, or at least bought another box) when I initially poured, so I ran to Home Despot to get some more. In the meantime, the stuff I already poured had leveled off and started curing past its work time. Being the genius that I am, I go and mix the entire quart I just bought, and dump it on the table instead of accepting the outcome of the half gallon I'd already poured, or just mixing enough to fill spots and move on. Approximately 1/4 proceeded to run right off the edge onto the floor because of how I did the sides, and as I try to work it around to level off as best I can, I am "reminded" that the first coat is past its work life in in the form of nasty looking streaks.

Now it seems I either have to accept it the way it is, or buy some more and respray. Hopefully it won't turn out to look too horrible.

I'm beginning to think I should have just gotten a cheap HVLP gun and some spray varnish. Nowhere near as fast, but so much simpler, and probably cheaper. (I might just do that on the next 2. Haven't decided yet.)

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Create multiple on-line accounts and start posting "awesome" reviews about this "new technique" on places like etsy and pinterest, and then post it on ebay and make thousands of dollars.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
"I call it the V-RAD table topping technique. Just buy the epoxy, mix it up properly, and then completely ignore common sense when you pour it."

I actually have to say, now that it's set up properly, there's one or 2 spots that are still soft (likely from improperly mixed epoxy), but the screwed up section isn't terribly noticeable unless you catch glare in just the right way, though the "shelf" where the second coat didn't flow into the first completely. I could probably sand it smooth; instead I'll just pour another coat of the stuff, but not until I have the next table finished.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Set up the edges right, sand the top after it sets up, re-pour a thin coat of the same epoxy. It should blend in and level out.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll be fixing it when I get everything else set and ready for the next one; right now the behemoth is getting stacked against a wall to await its larger brother.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
"I call it the V-RAD table topping technique. Just buy the epoxy, mix it up properly, and then completely ignore common sense when you pour it."

If I have a nickel for every time I did that, I could afford to buy your art.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
You and me both...

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I considered doing an Epoxy desktop.
Watched the YouTube Vids and noted everything must be level and using a torch to smooth out the bubbles.

So I am building a new computer desk with a slab of oak butcher-block.
Pre-stained, stained, sanded and layed (or is it laid ?) on 11 coats of General Finishes Arm R Seal Poly.
Fine sanded 500/100/2000/4000 and now letting it gas out/cure for a week or two.

It looks great but somehow using Epoxy might have been easier and probably a tougher desktop.

Hope your project comes out OK.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
It was honestly a lot easier than I thought, but it is really easy to mess it up if you aren't careful (or disregard all sense like I did). I just followed up the pouring with a pass from a heat source (I had a torch on hand, so that's what I used).

The initial pour probably would have been fine. I got weird and decided it needed another coat and now I need to pour another coat to cover that up.

The end result looks beautiful. Super high gloss that gives the wood the sheen i wanted when I chose oak for the project in the first place. Now if it was just flat...

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Set up the edges right, sand the top after it sets up, re-pour a thin coat of the same epoxy. It should blend in and level out.

I think this is the right solution.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post