SIGforum
Black Wheels

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9000091754

May 27, 2019, 06:16 AM
2000Z-71
Black Wheels
OK, I'm sick of this whole black wheel fad. Looking for a second set of wheels for the truck for switching between all-terrain and winter tires. Damn near impossible to find something that looks good that isn't blacked out. Sorry, to me the whole black wheel thing looks cheap, like driving around on 4 spare tires...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.
May 27, 2019, 06:34 AM
Bassamatic
Oh crap...I just bought this.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
May 27, 2019, 08:20 AM
LS1 GTO
What about brake-dust brown?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

May 27, 2019, 08:35 AM
P250UA5
Bronze would work well with your, IIRC blue, truck.

For me, I just wasn't a fan of the faux beadlock look on 99% of aftermarket truck wheels.

The Enemy's gate is down.
May 27, 2019, 08:47 AM
.38supersig
I still can't find any 20" moons. Big Grin

One thing to consider why the big push for black wheels is the EPA has choked down the chrome plating industry. Auto manufacturers don't make chrome wheels anymore. Now they take a chrome bundt pan and glue it onto the side of the wheel. The outside looks normal, but the inside looks like it has never been cleaned. Silver or painted wheels are the norm.

If you want something that looks cheap, see if the rear wheel well has been blacked out, or still the same color as the rest of the truck.

Maybe they weren't finished with it before it was driven off of the assembly line?

May 27, 2019, 08:47 AM
kz1000
Racist.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris
May 27, 2019, 08:51 AM
.38supersig
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Racist.

Doesn't get much more racy than Formula 1 (with black wheels).

May 27, 2019, 10:54 AM
I painted the inside of the American wheels I had on a Corvette the color of the car.

May 27, 2019, 11:34 AM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
OK, I'm sick of this whole black wheel fad. Looking for a second set of wheels for the truck for switching between all-terrain and winter tires. Damn near impossible to find something that looks good that isn't blacked out. Sorry, to me the whole black wheel thing looks cheap, like driving around on 4 spare tires...
When I lived in Anchorage, my winter tires were mounted on my 16" factory wheels and I had a set of 20" wheels and all season tires for summer. The factory wheels were aluminum which isn't ideal since steel is much less likely to crack if you slide into a curb.

Prior to buying my truck in Calgary, I was in a rental SUV and Mitsubishi's idiotic AWD system switched from primary front wheel drive to primary rear wheel drive in the middle of sliding on ice. I was correcting for a front wheel drive skid, and all of the sudden the ass end is swinging around and banging off the curb. It cracked the passenger side rear aluminum factory wheel.

When I lived in Calgary, my winter tires were mounted on inexpensive ugly black steel wheels, and I had all-seasons on my factory wheels. Besides saving money, the experience with the rental car wheel cracking helped push me into the inexpensive ugly black steel wheels for winter tires.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
May 27, 2019, 12:03 PM
NK402
My son has been looking at the Mustang GT 350. My first question was "do you have any silver paint at home to fix those butt-ugly black wheels?".
May 27, 2019, 04:20 PM
coloradohunter44
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
My son has been looking at the Mustang GT 350. My first question was "do you have any silver paint at home to fix those butt-ugly black wheels?".

It they are on a GT350R, those carbon fiber rims cost about $16k. I could learn to love them.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!
May 27, 2019, 04:50 PM
Oldrider
They can do amazing things with powder coating. Pick a color. Eventually someone will come up with a way to powdercoat something very "chrome" like.

He'll be rich...

May 27, 2019, 05:02 PM
Chowser
I like the black. I bought black wheels for my winter set up. I ended up selling my silver regular wheels and getting a black/silver set for summer.

I just told a coworker to choose powdercoat over plastidip. Don't dip your wheels. Do it the right way.

Not minority enough!
May 27, 2019, 07:40 PM
Gustofer
You need some spinners.

May 27, 2019, 09:16 PM
limblessbiff
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I painted the inside of the American wheels I had on a Corvette the color of the car.

If that corvette has a hitch and that trailer is hooked up and if you have a mullet, or a rat tail then you are my new hero
May 27, 2019, 10:07 PM
SIGMYSTER
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Racist.

I needed a good laugh! Thanks kz1000

Don't count me out till you see the box go in the hole!

May 27, 2019, 10:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

If that corvette has a hitch and that trailer is hooked up and if you have a mullet, or a rat tail then you are my new hero

They made hitches that bolted into the rear end. My 69 pulled my boat from VA to CA and back.

Best time ever on Lake Powell at full pond in Sept 1977:

May 28, 2019, 02:27 AM
wolfe 21
I like the polished aluminum Alcoa rims they used to put on the up trim models. Gunmetal with a polished lip is my goto for aftermarket rims. Looks good against the darker colors I tend to prefer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfe 21,

A Perpetual Disappointment...
May 28, 2019, 06:25 AM
NK402
There was a time, when the first thing we bought to enhance the cool factor on our cars were aftermarket wheels. Now it seems that the factory alloys are much better looking than aftermarket. The OP is correct, however, the quicker we get through this black wheel craze, the better.
May 28, 2019, 08:02 AM
Eponym
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
This picture should be in the "$400k Rolls Royce Off Road" thread. Smile