SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Paving Gypsies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paving Gypsies Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Two brand new shiny pickups parked across the street at the Post Office. All painted up with "Commercial Paving" logos.

As soon as I pulled in the driveway, one kid comes trotting across the street...

"We're gonna be paving the parking lot over there, and we'll have 800 or 1000 pounds of material left over, would you like us to start paving your driveway with it?"

Uh...yeah...no prep, no compacting, just flop down your crap material and run over it with a roller a couple of times...

I was born at night, but it wasn't LAST night...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Yep. And if you do take it they spray a 3mm coating of canned driveway sealer over it and call it a day. Not bad money for painting a driveway.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you ask if they happened to have an extra cooler of steaks in the back, too?

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you ask if they happened to have an extra cooler of steaks in the back, too?

Oh you have them too? Cheaper than Costco!

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so we should be expecting them in 35 to 45 days , then.

Here in tiny town I call the s.o. on them , they can not solicit w/o a permit,
wich involves Lic. ins. and bond info

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Simple solution, pay them with counterfeit 20's. Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My first question would be " Why are you going to have so much materiel left over".
If you are ordering to much are you charging your primary customer for it? Just order what you need to do the job and charge your customer less. Wink

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they are paving, 800-1000lb is not much. Maybe enough to do couple potholes.
Few years ago I drove through a gypsy neighborhood in Augusta, very impressive houses with driveways full of highend cars.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:
If they are paving, 800-1000lb is not much. Maybe enough to do couple potholes.
Few years ago I drove through a gypsy neighborhood in Augusta, very impressive houses with driveways full of highend cars.

Paved driveways? Or painted?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Curiouser and curiouser...

I talked to the Postmaster and they did indeed contract to have the parking lot repaired. According to him, the Head Office authorized 800 square feet of asphalt.

They showed up with all BRAND NEW shiny, spanking clean equipment, skid steer, paving machine, dump truck two pickups etc. and then proceeded to putz around sweeping and blowing and marking and then...nothing.

PM asked if they were waiting for the load of hot top, they said, "Yup, should be here any minute." 10 minutes later they loaded up and disappeared without a word. Everything and everybody...gone.

Something stinketh here...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
highend cars.

Highend cars with salvage titles which they try to sell to [whatever they call non-gypsy folk] for more than they're worth.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
15 years ago, some guys approached me asking if I wanted a Xmas present. They said they would pave my driveway cheap as they had a lot of leftover from the job. My driveway was gravel at the time. I had just watched them pave the new neighborhood streets near my property. I paid 2K to have a near 300ft long driveway paved. Most all of it is at 3-5 inches deep asphalt. I still haven't sealed it, but probably will later this year for the first time.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Couple of years ago, the county did a repair and new chipseal on all of our small neighborhood's streets. It was a contractor hired by the county. Their trucks and equipment were gone as soon as they were done.

Within a couple of days, this guy pulls up in my driveway, saying they had just finished the neighborhood chipseal (but his truck had the name of a different contractor on it). The spiel (typical) was they had some leftover material and could give me a good deal on doing my driveway. Yeah, but no thanks. You're not even the same people who did it and your company name is different, so how do you have "left over" material. And the Barber-Greene and other machinery is already gone. I didn't say all that, just "no thanks". Forgot to ask about any steaks.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post