SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Toyota Dealer’s Service Deparment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota Dealer’s Service Deparment Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I’ve about had it with my local Toyota service department. Last time I was in with my Sienna, they claimed the radiator was leaking - this from a radiator I replaced less than three years ago (that was leaking). Of course, it’s not. Then, today, I brought my Tacoma in for an oil change. I’ve been putting Mobile 1 synthetic oil in it for 10 years. My dealer has this package for oil changes/inspections/emissions that makes it cheaper than me doing it on my own or close enough not to matter. Anyway, I go to pick up my Toyota after they changed the oil, after waiting for well over an hour despite having an appointment, and the geniuses (I use the term quite loosely) had put normal Toyota oil in it. So, I’m back to the waiting room while they re-change the oil and put Mobil One back in it. If there was a dealer even remotely closer, I would be gone and done. I never had these problems in the past but about a year ago they merged with a large auto dealer and voila, incompetence.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]I’ve about had it with my local Toyota service department. Last time I was in with my Sienna, they claimed the radiator was leaking - this from a radiator I replaced less than three years ago (that was leaking). Of course, it’s not. Then, today, I brought my Tacoma in for an oil change. I’ve been putting Mobile 1 synthetic oil in it for 10 years. My dealer has this package for oil changes/inspections/emissions that makes it cheaper than me doing it on my own or close enough not to matter. Anyway, I go to pick up my Toyota after they changed the oil, after waiting for well over an hour despite having an appointment, and the geniuses (I use the term quite loosely) had put normal Toyota oil in it. So, I’m back to the waiting room while they re-change the oil and put Mobil One back in it. If there was a dealer even remotely closer, I would be gone and done. I never had these problems in the past but about a year ago they merged with a large auto dealer and voila, incompetence.
^^^^^^

The local dealership here did the same thing. The first thing they did was to hire a new service manager and hire all female service advisors. That lasted about six months and they hired back the old service manager. It eventually worked itself out. There are now much fewer difficulties. Getting to know the service manager can make a big difference. They have the authority to offer some comp services when things do not go well.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve said it a million times. Commission, commission, commission. When people work on commission at places like dealerships, it brings out the worst. Couple that with your dealer being the only one around and you’re guaranteed to get bad service and lied to about needed repairs since they have no competition.

I would tell you to file a complaint with Toyota via their 1-800 number but since it sounds like you may have to deal with them exclusively, it may be a bad idea.

Stories like these are why I service my cars myself.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Last two times my Wrangler has had the oil changed has actually been four times.

Each time the lubies put 5W-20 in first time. Only problem, my Jeep takes 5W-30, it even says that on the oil cap. Both times, right back into the shop for a drain and refill.

First time that happened the writer tried to convince me to take it as it was "No big deal". I asked him if FCA had a TSB with the information that 5W-20 was now acceptable in place of 5W-30 and if so could I have a copy. He left,returned in five minutes and asked for my keys.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
It's beyond frustrating. I spent over 2 hours at the dealer for a simple oil change. PM Mad

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Changing it yourself is always quicker. It just gets tricky if you need more than two gallons. Wink

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took my 2006 4 Runner to a well known Tidewater Toyota dealer for a brake job a few years ago. Within two weeks, the rotors, discs and calipers were covered in rust. When I took it back, they admitted they had used parts from Car Quest, not the Toyota factory parts I had expected. When I insisted they repeat the service using Toyota parts, the service babe said she wasn't sure Car Quest would take the parts back, I suggested that wasn't my problem. They became more co-operative, when I suggested using non-Toyota parts might constitute a safety issue.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2004 Taco. Has over 300k miles on it. I've always done my own maintenance. Car dealers, lawyers and politicians, don't trust a damn one of them.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
Car dealers, lawyers and politicians, don't trust a damn one of them.

Mexican tap water is more trustworthy than those 3 above...

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Between waiting two hours when I had an appointment, constant dire warnings of death and hell if tires and such weren’t replaced and once getting my truck back with such horrific BO stench that I drove it with the windows down in Feb, I haven’t set foot on the local dealer’s property in years.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
All that is pretty disheartening. Especially from a Toyota dealership. Where is your's BB61?

That is unbelievable almost NK402.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience, but backwards.

Took our Mazda CX9 in for an oil change and requested synthetic. Even though the owners manual states that regular oil is OK, the car is turbocharged and we know the issues other manufacturers have seen running non synthetic in theirs.

Upon picking up the car I see that the paperwork states that they used the less expensive non-synthetic. He tells me that it's fine, that I don't need to spend the extra money, and asks why I would possibly want synthetic. I tell him I run synthetic in all of my vehicles with turbos.

Anybody want to guess what he said next?

He said this car did not have a turbo. I followed that up by asking him if he knew what a turbo was. Of course he said....he's a service writer at an automotive dealership.

So I pop the hood, point to the turbo, and ask him to explain to me what that particular component was.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two years ago I took my '09 Taco in to the dealer where I bought it to have several (minor) recalls corrected. They replaced the floor mats and told me the frame was rusted out, as was my catalytic converter. but it was under recall and they were ordering replacement parts. I crawled under it in the parking lot with a flashlight, and saw no rust. I drove to Carmax, where they appraise your car free and give you a list of defects. No rust. I asked, "What about the rusted frame and converter?" They said, "No rust, looks good as new." They gave me a decent offer. I accepted it, caught a ride to a DIFFERENT Toyota dealer, and bought a slightly used Corolla. They included 2 years of service and a 5 year unlimited warranty.

Once I got home, I called Toyota corporate and complained about the lying ass service department who wanted to file a false recall claim.

Next car I buy will be from Carmax. I would have that time, but they had no Corollas.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
It's beyond frustrating. I spent over 2 hours at the dealer for a simple oil change. PM Mad

I took my Harley to local HD dealer for the 7,500 service. (oil change and filter - nothing else)

I had a appointment and came in early morning.

I was asked to leave the bike overnight.

That service writer didn't last long.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
All that is pretty disheartening. Especially from a Toyota dealership. Where is your's .

Utah.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I took my 2006 4 Runner to a well known Tidewater Toyota dealer for a brake job a few years ago. Within two weeks, the rotors, discs and calipers were covered in rust. When I took it back, they admitted they had used parts from Car Quest, not the Toyota factory parts I had expected. When I insisted they repeat the service using Toyota parts, the service babe said she wasn't sure Car Quest would take the parts back, I suggested that wasn't my problem. They became more co-operative, when I suggested using non-Toyota parts might constitute a safety issue.

There should have been a disclosure to you that non OEM parts were used. Usually aftermarket parts warranty only covers the part and not the labor. Sometimes the installing dealer would cover that labor, sometimes not. Regardless, they should have disclosed all of that information to you at the time you signed authorizing the work. Also some dealerships will use a code instead of the aftermarket part number further muddying the issue of tracing it to see who supplied it.

I'm going on a limb here but how did the dealership invoice those parts? I would hope that they would not have misrepresented those as OEM Toyota by using the OEM number on the invoice. If they did that could and should get real ugly for them real quick.

At minimum the service writer should have made you aware of the aftermarket parts substitution before the job was commenced or during if for some reason they could not source OEM items. Bad practices here.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

There should have been a disclosure to you that non OEM parts were used. Usually aftermarket parts warranty only covers the part and not the labor. Sometimes the installing dealer would cover that labor, sometimes not. Regardless, they should have disclosed all of that information to you at the time you signed authorizing the work. Also some dealerships will use a code instead of the aftermarket part number further muddying the issue of tracing it to see who supplied it.

I'm going on a limb here but how did the dealership invoice those parts? I would hope that they would not have misrepresented those as OEM Toyota by using the OEM number on the invoice. If they did that could and should get real ugly for them real quick.

At minimum the service writer should have made you aware of the aftermarket parts substitution before the job was commenced or during if for some reason they could not source OEM items. Bad practices here.

It was about 5 years ago but as I recall, they were represented to be Toyota parts on the invoice.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Two years ago I took my '09 Taco in to the dealer where I bought it to have several (minor) recalls corrected. They replaced the floor mats and told me the frame was rusted out, as was my catalytic converter. but it was under recall and they were ordering replacement parts. I crawled under it in the parking lot with a flashlight, and saw no rust. I drove to Carmax, where they appraise your car free and give you a list of defects. No rust. I asked, "What about the rusted frame and converter?" They said, "No rust, looks good as new." They gave me a decent offer. I accepted it, caught a ride to a DIFFERENT Toyota dealer, and bought a slightly used Corolla. They included 2 years of service and a 5 year unlimited warranty.

Once I got home, I called Toyota corporate and complained about the lying ass service department who wanted to file a false recall claim.

Next car I buy will be from Carmax. I would have that time, but they had no Corollas.

Fred, when I took my Sienna in for an oil change, the service writer and I were talking about the quality of cars these days. He told me about the problem with the Taco's frames rusting out and how Toyota would automatically advise the owner that there was a bulletin out on the issue and that they should have the frame replaced. This was in Chicago. Just sayin.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking the Taco frame recall was initiated in states that frequently salted the roadway and trucks made in the NUMMI plant.

They rolled a lot of trucks out with no undercoating on the frame.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The owners manual on my 2018 Titan says 0w-20 synthetic oil as does the sticker on the engine . NO other oil is mentioned . After I went in to get my first free oil change the ticket showed 10w-30 conventional was used . I asked the service writer and he said the synthetic was " suggested " but not " required " . I didn't say a word , I just dropped the keys on the counter in front of him and stared . He got the message . They took it back and changed it again . And I started using a different dealership closer to my house anyway .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post