SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Aging and the stuff that goes on, that no one wants to talk about because there's nothing you can do about it, anyway
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aging and the stuff that goes on, that no one wants to talk about because there's nothing you can do about it, anyway Login/Join 
posted
16 years ago I moved in to a senior living community, in Mesa.

Three days later Freeda set me straight about greeting the neighbors.

Never say " How are you today?"
or " How ya feeling?"

Because almost no one says perfect, thanks,. and you gotta listen to aches , pains and test results for 20 minutes.

Seems like every year, something new and different starts happening that may or may not be normal.

And it happens to everyone eventually, but it still makes you think,
Now what?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
"I never planned on getting old, but it just happened. And it'll happen to you too, if you're lucky" Andy Rooney

You remember Andy Rooney, right?

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Did you ever wonder where all the time went?"

Yeah, I miss Andy.

RIP

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a little worried bendable wanted to be more specific about "stuff that goes on, that no one wants to talk about"...

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
One of my standard responses to "How are ya?" is "Old, fat and bald."

I don't get any more specific than that unless asked because, like myself, nobody really wants to know.

If I'm feeling cheerful (hey, it DOES happen occasionally...) I'll say "Well, I'm eating regular and I've got a warm place to sleep."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Maintaining”

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
My father says, "Pretty good for an old guy."

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
"My name is not in the paper."

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 367 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
When he was in his 90's, my father always responded to 'How do you feel?' by answering 'with my hands'.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16489 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
"Vertical and Ventilating" :-)

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
If I'm feeling cheerful (hey, it DOES happen occasionally...) I'll say "Well, I'm eating regular and I've got a warm place to sleep."
I'll fix it for you with a single comma: "Well, I'm eating, regular and I've got a warm place to sleep." Razz

Posts: 9003 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
I'll fix it for you with a single comma: "Well, I'm eating, regular and I've got a warm place to sleep." Razz

Yabbut, that wouldn't be true... Eek Razz

Actually, that's a paraphrase of a line that got Earl Butz fired.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Actually, that's a paraphrase of a line that got Earl Butz fired.

You mean this one?
quote:
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Earl_Butz

"I'll tell you what coloreds want. It's three things: first, a tight pussy; second, loose shoes; and third, a warm place to shit. That's all!"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My usual response is "Pretty well, considering" Smile

Alternatively: "Not great, but it's better than the alternative."

Biggest annoyance is that if I don't do regular stretching exercises I'll pay for it. Particularly since I decided to take up golf. I have to do 20-30 minutes of warm-up and stretches before swinging a club if I actually want to be able to swing it half-way decently--particularly if I want to be able to swing it half-way decently w/o hurting myself.

Did a Stupid Thing lifting something years and years ago. Sciatica returning is a nearly constant threat.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
My response- “I’m not looking at grass roots.”

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent!
I don't care what anyone says.

(And none of that is true.)

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
How ya doing?

Without.

LOL

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

You mean this one?
quote:
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Earl_Butz
"I'll tell you what coloreds want. It's three things: first, a tight pussy; second, loose shoes; and third, a warm place to shit. That's all!"

Bingo!

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Normal reply is "On top of the dirt" and/or "It"s better to be seen than viewed". ...........drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once, while working at the dicks known as Dicks, a kid of about 12 was looking at stuff in one of the display cases.
Me: How are you doing today?
Kid: You dont care!
Big Grin
I thought that was the best response I ever got to the question!
Now when asked that question, I reply: Fine! All things considered.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post