SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New Ruger LCPII & Missing Magazine - Am I Over-reacting?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ruger LCPII & Missing Magazine - Am I Over-reacting? Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
If you peruse the Sig Pistols section you will know I was looking for a pocket-able semi-auto for the times when I can't carry my 1911 or 229.

After shopping around I bought one on Gunbroker and just picked it up from my FFL this past Saturday. My FFL had not opened the shipping box let alone the Ruger box before my pick up time.

Hence when we opened both boxes we found there was not a magazine. We called the seller, who has ~4000 sales and an A+ rating on Gunbroker, and he told me I was the second one in a week with the same issue.

He said he never opened the Ruger box and simply relayed the box to my FFL. He gave me Rugers customer service number and told me the other person who was shorted was told by Ruger it would take about 10 days to get a magazine.

Ruger was closed on Saturday and today for Presidents Day as well so it gave me time to think about the situation:

1) When the seller received his order from Ruger, how can he not open the original box to log the serial number in their books? My guess is he is completely relying that the serial number on exterior of the box matches what's in the box.
2) Before he shipped the box to my FFL, how can the FFL not check the box to make sure the serial number he puts in the books as shipped matches what he took in?
3) once he checks the weapon how can he not notice there is not a magazine?
4) Why is he making "his problem" for not sending what he advertised "my problem" by making me chase Ruger.

Am I over-reacting?

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably.

My guess is that it will take less time to call Ruger and have one on its way than it did to write this post. In the meantime, hit the LGS and pick up a "spare". You'll want one anyway

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought several guns online that are still factory sealed like that. I guess they are counting on the factory making sure that the firearm in the box matches the serial number on the box. Seems a little risky especially dealing with the ATF.

Posts: 258 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He sounds like a trusting soul. How'd he know it was a firearm in that box and not a brick?

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Knowing Ruger, they’ll probably send you two, or finger extensions, or a hat or something.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Your questions are reasonable and I'm surprised FFLs aren't being more careful, but this...

quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
4) Why is he making "his problem" for not sending what he advertised "my problem" by making me chase Ruger.

Am I over-reacting?

IMO you are. Call Ruger. Tell them what happened. They'll probably send you out a magazine, if not more, same day.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
You're not overreacting. The seller should have been the one to call Ruger. In his defense I understand how he would assume that a sealed box from a manufacturer would have the proper contents and not open it.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
In his defense I understand how he would assume that a sealed box from a manufacturer would have the proper contents and not open it.

Applying this to all other retail things outside of the mail order gun market:

Retailers do not generally make it a habit of opening every single sealed box to ensure the contents are complete. They expect the manufacturer to handle any discrepancies.

This also goes back to those who like to buy things online instead of locally where they can inspect them prior to purchase. You want to save as much money as possible, but also expect the seller to put in as much effort as possible. Can't have it both ways.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Just for the record the box from Ruger was not sealed. Hence the dealer could have/should have checked the firearm's serial number to both enter and log out the handgun. As a former FFL myself, you simply can not rely on the serial number on the exterior of the box as the BATF would have a huge issue if numbers don't match after a shooting incident. Naturally I can understand being in a hurry, but then this is a firearm, and he should follow BATF log in/log out procedures if he wants to remain in business.

Regardless I took your advice and just spoke to Annette at Ruger. She was very friendly and told me the seller SHOULD HAVE been the one to contact Ruger. In other words they will be reaching out to the seller to remind him of normal SOP.

Regardless she wanted to make things right and is sending a magazine to me.

Problem solved!

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad OP got this sorted out. I was just going to say that a good seller, one that actually cares about his business and customers would have reached out to Ruger and made it right for his customer. Unfortunately there is fewer and fewer people that are willing to do what they should in this world now.

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Given that the seller had had this happen to a previous customer, I would have thought it would be incumbent upon him to begin checking boxes for magazines. And yes, he should have called Ruger for you.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always check my serial numbers on the firearms, but sometimes they pack so much crap into the boxes I could see overlooking a mag... Honestly I would probably attempt to call Ruger on your behalf, but a lot of times manufacturers will speed up the process if you’re a customer vs the dealer so I could see the benefits of having you call..

I had to get some mags sent to me on a gun that was supposed to come with 4 mags and only came with 2... 3-4 months later they finally arrived, but in their defense they did send me 4 additional mags so it had 6 total...

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post