SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    School "Fundraising" Issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School "Fundraising" Issue Login/Join 
posted
I get that schools are underfunded and money has to come from somewhere for certain events to take place and, thanks to my wife, we have been more the generous over the years with my daughters school even though it seems like they are always looking for something.

My daughter is involved with and an officer of a few clubs and we support her efforts completely to the point where one such club was starting to plan there annual CA Weekend trip (to attend and event) we purchased about $200.00 of shitty, worthless candles knowing they needed money to go on the trip and to help compensate for the lazy ass kids that dont do shit. Now we find out that the teacher in charge of the club has canceled the trip for some BS reason and it seems like she has all but given up on this club citing that "everything is a hassle" when the girls try to do or plan things.

I told my daughter (who is graduating in May) that if the trip is indeed canceled and not replaced with another activity I am going on the offensive and raising holy hell with the school.

BTW, this is the same school that, a few years ago, agreed to rent me the adjoining tennis courts for a few hours as I needed a very specific location for a national photo shoot for several thousand dollars only to pull the plug just days before my shoot due to an internal pissing contest.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never participated in any of the fundraiser activities for the school when my kids were in school; popcorn sales, candles, candy, etc. All rip-offs in which people fork over twelve to twenty bucks for a crappy products, and the school gets a few pennies.

Donate directly to the school.

In Arizona, it's a direct tax deduction up to 400 dollars. That is to say, it goes dollar for dollar against your tax burden, which means that if you donate 400 to the school, you pay 400 less in tax to the state. It's one of the few situations in which you have a direct say in the use of your tax dollars. It applies to covering a student trip, too.

As for the school, once bitten twice shy, and fool you once, shame on them. Sounds like they're two for two. I'd be raising a stink, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I get that schools are underfunded ...

No, no they're not.

Per student spending by state

There is far more than enough money to give each and every one of these kids a stellar education. The problem is, the commies are in charge of where that money goes.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I share gustofer's perspective. I don't think funding is an issue. I think it's misappropriate, misuse and mismanagement of funds available. I reject every bill, prop, charitable request related to schools.

What especially galls me - schools that build professional level stadiums for athletics and then seek additional funding for scholastics. Fuck you.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2 sons played sports while in high school, and there always seemed to be some sort of fundraiser going on. We avoided the majority, but being in sports, there were always the "spirit pack" fundraisers, which were usually shorts, t-shirts, socks, sweatsuits, etc. for whatever sport they were in at the time. We didn't have time to try and sell stuff, so I usually just wrote a check for whatever amount they were expected to raise. Funny how a lot of the "studs" (particularly for the football team, that sometimes came from less than stellar homes), didn't seem to have to sell anything and still got their stuff, and even more at times. Same went for making mandatory practices, but that's another story. Thankfully, when my sons got to college sports, fundraising stopped, and they got all sorts of "spirit pack" stuff. Of course, that's what "student activity fees" are for.

Posts: 491 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Gustofer pretty much nailed it.
Plenty of money there if spend properly.
As to the original post, I'd just make a donation directly to whatever they are raising money for, not buying some overpriced crap marketed by a fundraising company.

Posts: 9505 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I can see the OP’s anger that the event was cancelled and they just pocket the fundraising money.

Big picture. As a taxpayer without children, I’m vehemently opposed to my property taxes (ie involuntary contribution on my part) going towards extracurricular activities as your children’s fun should not be my financial responsibility. I don’t mind fundraising for extracurricular activities as taxpayers should not be paying for extracurricular activities, but if the activity picques my interest (eg football or guns) then I’m happy to shell out $20 to $50.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I minimized all involvement with my childrens schools as they were growing up. They are there to learn - period. No drama, no BS.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

No, no they're not.

There is far more than enough money to give each and every one of these kids a stellar education. The problem is, the commies are in charge of where that money goes.

So true, the waste is incredible, one of our local high schools wasted a ton of money on the latest greatest auto cad program from auto desk. The teacher has no idea how to run it so there it sits, they could have easily bought a simple cad program to show the students the basics. What a joke on the tax payers, they teacher who ordered it should have that deducted out of his pay. I sent my daughter to private school at the cost of 8k a year but still had to pay for the public system. makes my blood boil.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:...
No, no they're not.

Betting you never worked as a teacher in Wakulla County, Florida? Ever been to Sopchoppy?

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:...
No, no they're not.

Betting you never worked as a teacher in Wakulla County, Florida? Ever been to Sopchoppy?

Actually, I have driven through there. Used to have an Army buddy from Sneads (probably about the same size) and we used to cruise all over the panhandle.

I'm curious what your point is though. Are you saying that (roughly) $9000/student/year is not enough to educate these kids? Really?

I am sick and tired of hearing the sob stories from teachers about having to buy their own school supplies and demanding more money from the taxpayers. Here's an idea - don't come crying to me, the taxpayer, for more money, go crying to your unions and administrators who waste money hand over fist and pay exorbitant salaries to people who do nothing to earn them. Funnel that money to the actual teachers and kids, and then we'll reassess the situation. My guess is, the problem will be solved.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm curious what your point is though. Are you saying that (roughly) $9000/student/year is not enough to educate these kids? Really?

I am sick and tired of hearing the sob stories from teachers about having to buy their own school supplies and demanding more money from the taxpayers. Here's an idea - don't come crying to me, the taxpayer, for more money, go crying to your unions and administrators who waste money hand over fist and pay exorbitant salaries to people who do nothing to earn them. Funnel that money to the actual teachers and kids, and then we'll reassess the situation. My guess is, the problem will be solved.

Well, first off, in Florida the price is around $7,500 per student, average. And that does seem like a lot.....that is until you see what you pay per student at a good (well run) private school. Down in south Florida, Pine Crest or North Broward Prep, the cost is about $20,000 to $25,000/student. Catholic private schools are a bit less, due to the archdiocese picking up some of the expense.

You get what you pay for with schools.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No, no they're not.

THIS.

Using my former state as an example, CA spends less than almost half the states, approx. 11,000 dollars per student total. Yet CA arguably has a huge tax base, and one of the highest income tax rates in the country. And look at how much of their budget they allocate to education alone-

Yep, OVER HALF.

I use the upside down triangle model for state CA's education spending; lots of money at the top, but by the time it trickles down to the actual student, they get the shit end of the stick. What happened to the money? Unions, pensions, too many admin employees, bureaucratic graft, politicians, etc.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get that schools are underfunded ..

With all due respect: Fuck that.

I used to be a big supporter of school funding. Not a millage increase for which I failed to vote, nor failed to vote in favour of. I felt the education of our children important (despite the fact I have no schoolchildren), and a good school system is good for the community and the nation.

The key words there are used to be.

Given what public schools are "teaching" these days, and how they're pissing-away money right-and-left (re: Gustofer's comments), I'll still not fail to vote on millages, but I'll be voting NO every single time. Even renewals.

The public school system has run its course. It's time for it to go. Past time. It's too screwed-up to save, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, look at DC... second only to NY in spending. Yet they are among the very worst schools in the US.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have always been involved in fund raisers for our kids school. But, they went to a private school.

We just got our property taxes last week and found out ours went up 400/year more than last year.

They just keep going up and up and up. Schools can NEVER seem to get all they money they need...or should I say WANT.
The education level seems to go down and spending the other way.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post