SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Brands that aren't what they used to be
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brands that aren't what they used to be Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I bought my dad some US made Red Wings. The sole split open after barely a year. The ones he used to wear in the 80s lasted a lot longer.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Filson prices went up because of higher demand for their product since “Lumberjack Drag” became the costume of the low testosterone neck beard set in Austin and Seattle.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It occurs to me that Sam Walton was still alive a little less than 30 years ago. I distinctly recall that when he still ran Walmart that they were proud buy-and-sell American retailers.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Dr. Pepper. The formula was changed some years ago (probably to exclude real sugar) and it is NOTHING like it was back when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did Dr. Pepper change the "secret ingredient" you know, the prune juice they used to flavor it back in the day?

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I honestly don't know...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to thread drift here but that peckerwood that bought up the Cabela's stock and then destroyed Cabela's by unloading it to Bass Pro did it for me!

Cabela's carried a pretty good line of well made clothing, in which I'm sure the Cabela family wore, and they had good buyers until Bass Pro stepped in...

...then it went all down hill! Junk shit!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5055 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd add LL Bean to the Filson and Eddie Bauer list of companies where the target consumer has changed from people who really need quality gear to prepsters and posers who want to look cool.

I have Filson wool mackinaw and vest, both 30 years old and still going strong. Have seen their recent stuff and there is no comparison.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Potato chips. There are decent chips available, but none are as good as the chips of forty years ago.
Ruffles, especially; they used to be a good chip, now they're just mediocre.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

Potato chips. There are decent chips available, but none are as good as the chips of forty years ago.
The very best potato chips I ever had, head and shoulders above the rest, were forty-three years ago when I was working in Barcelona.

Saturday mornings, when I was not working, my wife and I used to walk down the hill from the condo that we were renting, to a tiny mom & pop xurro shop. They made potato chips, too. We would get a large bag, fresh out of the kettle. I have never had any other potato chips that were anywhere near that tasty.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
That sucks...I have some RW boots and they are great. Did they honor any sort of warranty?

quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I bought my dad some US made Red Wings. The sole split open after barely a year. The ones he used to wear in the 80s lasted a lot longer.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think Wavy Lay’s are better than Ruffles. Just a few months ago discovered Cape Cod Chips. Those are pretty good.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As am owner of an original Willys jeep, this is how I feel about the current jeep brand. Hell even the stuff from the early 80's was better than the overpriced electronic laden status symbol crap they sell now. Their dumb ass unity ad from the super bowl only cemented that even more too

Posts: 338 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Sad to say, money talks. And most people’s money says they’d rather buy a mediocre product so long as it has the brand name they want people to see than higher quality at the resultant cost.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

I think Wavy Lay’s are better than Ruffles. Just a few months ago discovered Cape Cod Chips. Those are pretty good.

I buy both of those, depending on my current craving.
In my opinion there are decent chips around but none are as good as the chips from forty years ago (or more).

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post