SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Brands that aren't what they used to be
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brands that aren't what they used to be Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
So maybe I've officially obtained old fart status. "Back I'm my day..."

Looking to upgrade some of my cold weather gear. Over the years I've bought a lot of Columbia clothing. I've got waterproof shell with zip in fleece liner that I bought for my first trip to Alaska over 20 years ago. It's looking a little worn and I never was crazy about the color, but it's always kept me warm dry. Looking at the new ones; material isn't nearly as heavy, the seams seem very light duty, velcro instead of snaps for secondary closure, UGH!

I'm really starting to hate it when long standing brands give up on what made their name and race to the bottom in quality for lower pricing and more consumer appeal.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's especially prone to happen when technical/work clothing brands catch on with the masses, get popular, and start to morph into just fashion brands. People are willing to pay more for higher end materials when the items serves a specific purpose, and are less willing to pay that premium for "just (fashion) clothing", so it can become a race to the bottom to cut corners in order to allow the price point to appeal to the "just clothing" masses.

I suspect that's the likely the case with Columbia. What used to be good quality outdoors clothing is probably now becoming moderate quality fashion-driven clothing.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
They want to “mainstream” anything. My problem is I don’t like mainstream shit. I want better and willing to pay extra for quality. But when quality is hard to find, well I get your complaint. Just make what you used to make. If not go elsewhere.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Craftsman tools. We’ve discussed them ad nauseum.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turning a brand's quality reputation into money. Continually cheapen the product until people figure it out and quit buying it. Happens to every brand.

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
This all started globally whenever whoever the fuck it was opened prc. Even many Japanese brands have gone to shit. Should’ve just left prc in the dark ages. Greedy idiots.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
WeatherTech also. Their quality is nothing like what it was years ago.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got an old Woolrich heavy twill shirt that has been my primary birdhunting shirt for more than 20 years. It looks like it's been through a lot of thorny patches. Last fall, I looked (briefly) at the Woolrich website. I don't know if their clothes are still any good; it took me only a few minutes to realize I was no longer a part of their target customer group. That was after I realized I wasn't looking at an Adderall advertisment.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brands that aren't what they used to be

Uh...that'd be pretty much ALL of them, IMHO. It's rapidly getting to the point you can't get quality goods no matter HOW much you pay.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Craftsman tools. We’ve discussed them ad nauseum.

Yeah those have been a horrible disappointment. I bought an electric planer cheap because a friend said it was good for the price. Haven’t had a chance to test it yet.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Television. All crap now and more ads than program.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Sony. Last couple of Sony TV's I've had were shit. Won't buy another.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brooks Brothers clothing. I bought 5 sweaters that were made in England with Scottish wool. Bought them some 30 years ago and I still wear them. They've held up well.

Years later, BB clothing then were made in China.

Last I heard, Brooks Brothers filed for Bankruptcy.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Russell comes to mind. All my T-shirts were Russell and lasted for years. My sweats were too.
No more. Cheap crap.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Porter-Cable. I have an older corded circular saw that is built like a tank. Also had a cordless drill from when cordless was a new thing. It was super well built. Their stuff today is junk.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Danner Boots, with the exception of the few remaining made in the USA models.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Porter-Cable. I have an older corded circular saw that is built like a tank. Also had a cordless drill from when cordless was a new thing. It was super well built. Their stuff today is junk.

One reason for that is that P-C isn't P-C any more, it's Black & Decker, which has been crap for years.

For the moment, Makita, Bosch and Milwaukee still build decent power tools.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Timberland boots, Justin boots, Land's End clothing.

I hope Carhartt doesn't go the same way.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Interstate Batteries. Aren't what they were 10 years ago. Don't last near as long. If you want cold weather gear the Alaskan Hard Gear from Duluth Trading has been good I have quite a bit of it although I have issues with DT in general.

Also all my ice fishing cold weather gear is Striker Ice brand. Has held up well and is very warm. As a bonus if you fall through the ice it will keep you afloat long enough to get yourself out. Hopefully.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
It might be quicker to list the brands that are as good or better than they were years ago.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post