SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hiked 18 miles yesterday.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hiked 18 miles yesterday. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
The battery has been out of my car for 3 days now. After asking 3 of my Flea Market friends for a ride to town, even offering to put gas in their vehicles, they all gave excuses, stupid and dishonest as to why they couldnt. Yesterday, I decided to walk to town, in the rain, to my Credit Union to get some money for a starter motor, which I'm not yet certain I need. The parts store is right next to my Credit Union. They have it in stock. I make a couple calls to my friends to see if they might give me a lift back because I sure cant carry the damn thing 8 miles. Nope, we got all manner of reasons why they cant. And I've worked my weekends for these guys for over a year now at 20 bucks per day. So I decide to head back out to my car, 8 miles away and, determined a large coffee at the UDF would be nice to have back at the car. At the UDF is my 14 1/2 mile mark and I get the biggest cup they have. A big red straw sticking out the top, I go marching down the road sipping and enjoying. Down a steep hill I pass a Japanese named company, a huge Kroger warehouse, 2 buzzards eating something and the road twists into a country like neighborhood. Across the road I see a mail box which reads E. Mount Zion Road. WTF? A few hundred more yards it begins to dawn on me, I might not be on the Dixie Highway any more. Sure as shit! I knocked on a house door and a young man tells me the Dixie Highway is a mile back up the hill. I could eat nails! The last 300 yards was on asphalt and I was in some serious pain. Damn near limping. I'm not young any more. I made 2 trips about 350 feet last night to a plastic out house to pee and it was painful baby steps all the way. I really feared leg or foot cramps durring the night but, had none. After a few short walks today, I hiked 2 miles for another big coffee. My friends here aren't really friends. I refuse to work for them now. I will get help tomorrow with my battery exchange. Clean the wire connections to the starter and see if she turns over. The guys at the Market here can go pound sand. I am done. Nice to know at 59, with a little practice, some better foot wear and terrain, I can still turn some miles. But why would I ?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a character building exercise. I've had too many to count. But fortunately, the last one (ie, 100 degree heat death march and sleeping in fields at night getting bit by ants all night including one memorable little fucker that full on pincher nailed the right testes causing me to whack it in a painful manner as I came into immediate non-sleep at hand contact.....has been a long time back.

I haven't done and 18+ miler for a good long while, I have a few years on you, but it's nice cause now it's always voluntary if I want to walk 8-10 miles through the woods (and I do all the time).

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Is now a bad time to tell you that Amazon sells batteries? Many of them available w/ free prime shipping?

Also... Uber?

FWIW, I’m 37 and there’s no way in hell I’d be up for that hike. I would have given you a ride into town, though. Unless you smell.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This brings back memories. I had an old POS car whose charging system didn't work, so I'd pull the battery and take it into my apartment every night for charging. I didn't know then what I know now about automotive electrical. Unlike a modern car, besides that used for cranking, the only significant load on the battery is 3-4 amps from the ignition, so it could run most of the day on that. Driving at night for any length of time was a problem.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
You mentioned "friends" several times. you need to rethink your definition of that word.

Sounds like you have associates and acquaintances.

Posts: 829 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have been thinking of buying a house in the country. Reflecting on your experience, I will be sure to have a motor scooter or moped, bicycle, skateboard, and roller skates for back up transport.

FWIW, you have my admiration as the Self-Reliant Citizen of the Day.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I've had friends like the ones you described.

They get/got weeded out of my life.

Sorry you had to go through that experience.

Would have given you a ride or loaned you my truck.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigproshooter
posted Hide Post
Those are not very good friends.

Some auto parts stores will deliver, might be worth a shot.

Posts: 314 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll be getting a ride in this afternoon to exchange the battery. I've worked on his truck last year and he wont take money for fuel. I will do his F150 plugs for him later this Summer. It's been a fun couple of days.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the starter does it. BTW, I average about 8-10 miles per day between the morning run, the gym, and work so an 18 mile walk wouldn't be crippling. However just because I could do the walk if push came to shove I think I'd just call a Cab.

Because I know all about sore feet and Plantar Faciitis and the foot pain I have to contend with when I wake up every day. Getting Old SUCKS. Can't See Shit, Can't Remember Shit and when I do Shit it takes 1/2 hour to squeeze it out. Plus there isn't a day when nothing hurts, about the only positive about the daily aches and pains it lets me know I'm not pushing up daisy's.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I have a new battery. Lady used a hand tester and it said it just needs a charge. The mechanic charged it and 1 hour later said its no good. When the rain lets up here, I'll hook it up. I really enjoyed reading the posts here.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
And nothing at the starter motor. Tomorrow is another day.

Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry your "friends" wouldn't help you David. If you lived closer I would be glad to give you a ride.

I'm glad to see you posting!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Remmy, thank you for the kind words. I got the Pastor from the Walton Christian Church coming over to take me to the Auto Parts Store. I will put in my new starter motor tomorrow morning. Prolly do my serpentine belt and oil change while I am working on it. The one old gent I help on the weekends knows I am done working for him.

Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
The one old gent I help on the weekends

What a worthless ass.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I helped these guys make some darn good money here. The vendors say I am good at selling. Been out in all kinds of weather, I've givin them rides in Ol' Silver and traveled north 60 miles 3 times to help one at another market. There is a Match rifle I've been looking at on line for some time now. I think shortly when I get back to work, I will call and put it on lay a way. I havnt bought anything in a long time.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
There is a Match rifle I've been looking at on line for some time now. I think shortly when I get back to work, I will call and put it on lay a way. I havnt bought anything in a long time.

What kind of match rifle are you planning to buy?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31377 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should consider a utilitarian bicycle in addition. My feet hurt just thinking of walking 18 miles. Smile

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
There is a Match rifle I've been looking at on line for some time now. I think shortly when I get back to work, I will call and put it on lay a way. I havnt bought anything in a long time.

What kind of match rifle are you planning to buy?
I've only seen this 1 in many years. The price is low considering what I've seen others ask for them. Its in fine condition too by golly. Beyond that, I cant say or it will be gone.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I have my new starter motor now. I'll put it in tomorrow.