SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    So Let Me Get This Straight: There Is No More One-Time Purchase Of MS Office??
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So Let Me Get This Straight: There Is No More One-Time Purchase Of MS Office?? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Bought a new laptop and go to load MS Office on it, through my employer's HUP I used to get an Office package for like 15-20 bucks and that was it.

Now I find out that it's going to cost me 65 bucks a year this year...then next year...then the year after that and on and on. Roll Eyes

Ummm...no thanks Microsoft. You can take your stupid subscription-based Office and cram it sideways up your greedy little asses.

I'll use something else from now on, there's no way in hell I'm paying $65 a year for something I don't really use all that often.

Google Docs or something like that will have to suffice!

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's one reason why I went w/ Apple instead of a new Windows laptop. I think you can still buy Office but it's obfuscated. They are really pushing subscriptions. No, Nope, Not. The Apple free 'office' suite is sufficient for me. YMMV.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's total robbery fuck up, charging you yearly subscription for something that should a one-time buy. Assholes. Mad

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Yeah, that's total robbery fuck up, charging you yearly subscription for something that should a one-time buy. Assholes. Mad

I don't have a problem with subscriptions when it's something useful to me that I use a lot and is fairly priced like Spotify at 12 bucks a month for the premium sound quality and no commercials for the wife and myself.

But for Word or Excel that I don't even use all that often? And for PowerPoint and Outlook that I don't use EVER? And without the HUP price it's more like 99 bucks a year.

Screw that. Mad

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I hate to be "that guy," but I'll say I've still got Office 2000 on a machine here. It works.

I'm with PASig on this. I seriously dislike the idea of paying a subscription for software.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Use one of the open source office suites. It’ll do 99% of what you need.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apple guy. Numbers gets it done for me.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Open Office.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Just grab a slightly earlier version. I'm still using Office 2016.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Same thing for Quicken. When I bought a new computer with Win10, I reinstalled my Quicken 2014. It works fine; I don't need all the online features (downloads from banks, credit cards, stock/bond prices).

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Free and open source:

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I'm rockin' Libre Office and don't miss MS Office a bit. Cool

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:

Free and open source:

Yup. I have been using this and have not found anything that I would need the MicroSoft product to accomplish.

LibreOffice will open MS files, and can save files in MS format, so there is no problem exchanging data with MS users.

Bill and Melinda might like to get more of my money, but I need it more than they do. They have a lot and I just have a little.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One-time purchases of software are going the way of the DoDo. It's irritating for the individual consumer, but it's a financial challenge for businesses. Our company has resisted the monthly/annual rental concept of software for a long time, but the time is here.

In the past two months we have experienced three cyber attacks -- Microsoft Exchange Hafnium and two ransomware events. We came back up from the first ransomware and Hafnium, but we are currently down with ransomware #2. Once the cyber security experts scrub the encrypted machines & drives, and give us the go ahead to rebuild compromised servers, we immediately migrate some functions to the cloud. Gone are MS Office and Exchange; we will come back up with MS Office 365. And we start paying annual user fees.

I have LibreOffice on one laptop at home. Our IT guys installed it on a machine I purchased from the Company. This PC was technologically end-of-life, and our Company allows staff to buy retired machines -- wiped of all Company-owned software, of course. LibreOffice is fine for the casual user, but it doesn't meet the needs of those with great demands on their software.

Time will tell how well annual user fees sit with end users. I suspect annual fees will be with us for some time.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I've been running 2003 forever.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Free and open source:

This is what I use.

The only subscription based software I've had trouble finding a decent replacement for is Adobe Acrobat DC.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Office 2019 is available as a one time purchase.
Looks like it is priced at $249.99

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...ss-2019/CFQ7TTC0K7CQ

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Unless you are truly "locked into" the Microsuck products, there are options. Microsuck is a marketing entity that started from a stolen product (CPM). BG was a marketing guy, not a computer guru! He can thank M. Albright for his dominance. CPM-86 was a better OS. Microsuck is all about profit etc. etc.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Microsuck is a marketing entity that started from a stolen product (CPM)

He did change the CPM "delete" command to the PCDOS command "erase"! He also stole Windows from his Computer Associate neighbors.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I was in the same position when I bought a new desktop last year. I use Libre Office Calc, but it's not nearly as good as Excel. I'm the treasurer for our local water company. Each month I review the financials. They are sent to me in Excel and I open them in Libre Office Calc, ODF file. Slow as shit and constantly locks my machine up when I try to go to Print Preview. But, its free software, so I can't complain too much I guess.

I use Thunderbird for my email client. It does the job, but sucks compared to Outlook.

I also refuse to pay for a subscription, but I can see why they do it. They have to support those products for years and years. Paying a one time price doesn't really help them to constantly provide updates for years and years after you bought it.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post