SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    So Let Me Get This Straight: There Is No More One-Time Purchase Of MS Office??
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So Let Me Get This Straight: There Is No More One-Time Purchase Of MS Office?? Login/Join 
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
I looked at OpenOffice and Google Docs, but the game-changers for me was my frequent use of MS Access, and MS Publisher... the two Office apps that I use the most! It’s what I’ve been using for many years (used to teach both to the advanced level, and spent the majority of my professional career as an Access application programmer), and something I really need to keep because everything else in my life is “moving on”, and I’m not willing to “keep up”!

I really enjoyed learning VBA use in Access. My current shop is all in on Google products so, I'm slowly, painfully, teaching myself their version of JavaScript with some JSon learning thrown in. I feel dirty every time I leave the Googlesphere but it's enjoyable. I will take some coursework in user/interface design when I retire again. That's where Access was a blast. If I remember correctly you answered a question of mine on some VBA for Excel code and it was genius level stuff,

Posts: 4801 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DetonicsMk6:
I really enjoyed learning VBA use in Access. My current shop is all in on Google products so, I'm slowly, painfully, teaching myself their version of JavaScript with some JSon learning thrown in. I feel dirty every time I leave the Googlesphere but it's enjoyable. I will take some coursework in user/interface design when I retire again. That's where Access was a blast. If I remember correctly you answered a question of mine on some VBA for Excel code and it was genius level stuff,

Yes, the VBA is what it's all about when using Access... for me anyway! Once I walked through that door and taught it to myself, my whole world of Access databases opened up in a way that cannot be explained! One example is the following:

While working at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center here in Huntsville, I was an Access programmer in the CFO's division. My big project was an Access database that could take all of the billing data from the various NASA centers around the country and compile it into the system for monthly accounting purposes. Now mind you, each and every one of these centers sent their data into MSFC in a different format! My system had to convert each format into what MSFC used, AND correct for errors (typos), of which there were many! All of this process was done through VBA code as Access itself was not able to do it with the built-in macros.

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4550 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post