SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Unsolicited junk mail, ads, etc
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unsolicited junk mail, ads, etc Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
I am getting swamped with this crap! Started a couple days ago. I have an ad blocker running but somehow they seem to get past it. Never had that problem until recently.

Unsubscribe works, but I get the same message/response every time. Apparently from the same source. Takes up to 10 days to get my address off their list? What a bunch of horseshit!.

Hints on stopping it!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wish I knew. I too am swamped, phone calls, emails, postal mail, the works.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Same here. Especially for cannabis oil. Be careful in hitting the unsubscribe link, that just confirms that their crap is getting through

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Easiest way to stop junk snail mail is to write "Return to Sender - Receipt Declined."

Had a mailman once tell me the sender is charged full first class cost for its return and they'll eventually remove you. Not sure how true but my junk mail nearly ceased within a month.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I just toss it in the bin, consider it a privatization of a works program, keeps mail people employed, paper envelope sales people paid, printing presses operational, and trash men busy..

Without it we'd have a shiton more unemployed people on welfare, I'd rather not pay for that directly.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its a petty form of revenge but I still do this:
All the junk mail I get that contains a "business reply mail" envelope I put back in the mail.
Empty.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Empty? You’re missing out on an opportunity to recycle. Send them something. Tuna fish can lids half a cup of glitter or every trace of what they shipped you.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
Empty? You’re missing out on an opportunity to recycle. Send them something . . . half a cup of glitter
Where does one purchase this? Returning the envelope with glitter: my imagination is running amok.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I am always getting pre-declined "pre-approved" offers of credit cards and loans. I finally got around to calling the "opt-out" number. They seem to be tapering off.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kept getting crap from Fidelity. I never used that company, so I would delete the emails and trash the letters. One day I got a call from Fidelity. Turns out I was part of an employee stock plan at a former employer. Their HR never told me this. So, right before Xmas last year, I got a check for several thousand dollars. Had I igbired them past December 31, I would have lost out. Now I quickly peruse most stuff.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Its a petty form of revenge but I still do this:
All the junk mail I get that contains a "business reply mail" envelope I put back in the mail.
Empty.

I tear everything up that they sent including the envelope and stuff it into the return envelope. Probably goes to a fulfillment company so not much affect on the sender but it helps my local landfill.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Local car dealership started the phone calls. Took our cars in for oil changes and a couple recalls. This was not the dealership we bought them from. After jerking me around on a request for assistance on an out of warranty repair I have not been back.

Last fall I got a missed call and voicemail about trading up. I called the dealership back asking that they no longer phone me. When I told the "manager"(?) that I was not interested in trading in without elaborating why his reply was "Oh yes you are, you just don't know it!" Wrong retort from him, I ended the conversation with "Don't call again."

End of December I got another one. So this time I emailed the General Manager. Explained in detail about my displeasure with the service department and their handling of my out of warranty assistance which was handled by another dealership. I made issue of the previous call and the obnoxious manager's retort. I made reference to my 47 years of new car dealership work experience and I have seen many of these tactics used over the years and I consider each one an insult to my intelligence.

I requested the GM to call me in response which I did not receive. But it has now been five months since my last call.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My uncle, bless his heart, was a giving person, but that meant he got more junk mail than than seemed possible. After he passed I had to execute his Will so had his mail sent to my address. Big mistake, If I ever have to do that again I will rent a PO box for a year. Apparently all this crap comes from external contractors who get paid less if they remove you. I printed out a form letter explaining he is deceased and I am Executor of his estate and asked to be taken off their mailing list. I have sent almost 100 letters to date in their supplied return envelopes with virtually no effect. (that was to 100 DIFFERENT senders) Now after over 2 years it has only slowed a little, hardly a day goes by without junk mail addressed to him, some days 5 or 6 pieces. I have tried calling as well and explaining... nope, that don't work either.

I think I will try LS1's idea, "Return to Sender - Receipt Declined."

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post