SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Plasma donation debit card hacked......was going to buy hunting rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plasma donation debit card hacked......was going to buy hunting rifle Login/Join 
Picture of ibexsig
posted
I despise the population on this earth that have decided that stealing people's credit card numbers is their occupation.

I have donated my plasma for money for years now. For those not familiar with it they put your money onto a Debit Card for each donation. Generally, I use it to buy my three kids things they want and for Christmas, etc. The past 4 months I decided I am going to save up money to buy a decent deer hunting rifle for myself. I had $735 on the card and would soon be at the $900 for which to buy a decent rifle for the woods.

Then, I had allowed my daughter at college to use my card to put $60 towards her laundry account. Somebody hacked it and spent all my $675 on crap items down in Florida ( I live in Wisconsin). At least they could have bought something good, instead it was like Lingerie and cell phone crap. I called the card people and they informed me that their investigation could take up to 90 days to get resolved. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

So, getting a big needle shoved up my vein twice a week was done for some low-life sack of poo somewhere in Florida. No justice in this world. Thanks for listening!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ibexsig,

Posts: 315 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
My bank has a new phone app that I think is the greatest thing ever. It gives me complete control over my debit card.

Every time the card is used it messages me with the amount and location used instantly. I can set the limits as low or as high as I want, and change them instantly at my whim. It tracks your balance and monthly spending. It will also handle multiple cards over multiple accounts.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another reason why credit cards should be substituted for debit cards. Nowhere near the same level of protection for the consumer.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Another reason why credit cards should be substituted for debit cards. Nowhere near the same level of protection for the consumer.

People say this all the time, if that is really the case you need a new bank. There is zero difference between my CC and Debit card for fraud liability.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20754 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
People say this all the time, if that is really the case you need a new bank. There is zero difference between my CC and Debit card for fraud liability.
The following might not be correct, I was wrong before. Once.

It is my understanding that fraud protection for credit cards is required by law, and that legal requirement does not exist for debit cards.

Your financial institution, bank, credit union, etc., might offer the same protection, but they are required to do it for credit cards, and it is their own decision to offer the same protection for debit cards.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Don't have a debit card, do not want one!

Our credit card company actually calls us if there is a questionable transaction. And if it was not my wife, or I, then that charge is removed at once.

As I understand it, debit cards allow the user to run up debt on that card. our youngest grandson had a fairly large amount of debt on his card and it took him quite a while to pay it off. He still refused to use a credit card. I suspect because doing so would limit his ability to pile up debt by a rather immature concept of money.

I know a lot of people poke fun at the way some women "buy" stuff they don't need, or actually use. They hold nothing on that grandson.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

And the fact that they’re treated the same must be why my CC credits my account as soon as a problem is reported yet Ibex is looking at 90 days for resolution of his issue. Thanks but I’ll stick with my approach to plastic.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
sorry to hear that. i'm guessing it will all work out in the end but it's a hassle nobody should have to go through.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

And the fact that they’re treated the same must be why my CC credits my account as soon as a problem is reported yet Ibex is looking at 90 days for resolution of his issue. Thanks but I’ll stick with my approach to plastic.

It's not a requirement of any kind, it's an incentive to attract customers.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20754 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A basic question I’ve long wondered about is why people use debit cards rather than credit cards—unless of course they can’t qualify for the latter. If someone could get a credit card and there’s no way for a criminal to use that account to access one’s bank account, what’s the reason to prefer the DC over the CC?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47364 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
how much do they pay for plasma?

Posts: 8143 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
It depends on the month but generally you get $70.00 a week if you donate twice a week. You get $20.00 for the first donation and $50.00 for the second. I think it is because it takes 5 or 6 donations to get a full dose of plasma they can then give to people who need it.

I have never had any adverse affects. Unless you count the permanent scar on my right arm from where they put the needle.

Plasma cannot be made by artificial means. Only through donations can people who need it to live can get it.

Posts: 315 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
what’s the reason to prefer the DC over the CC?

For me, I know I can't overspend accidentally or accure a debt I can't pay off that month. It also shows up instantly on your account, so I can track things easier. Lastly I just became debt free (minus mortgage) in December which took an eternity to do and I guess using CCs scares me a bit.

I can't make any argument for using debit exclusively. It's just makes me feel at ease to do it. I'm sure everyone knows a guy that only use cash, pulls out $200 on a Monday or Friday and gives themselves a weekly allowance. It's sort of like that.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Ditto! Occasionally I'll get a small rebate in the form of a debit card (usually <$50). It gets spent right away. But none of my checking accounts have a debit card associated with them.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibexsig:
I have donated my plasma for money for years now.

I thought that if you donate something, you don't receive compensation for it.

If you receive compensation for something, that is selling.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
quote:

Roll Eyes

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
quote:

I can see your point. At the place that I bleed out my plasma they have always called it a donation. Although I know of many people who give their plasma because they want to help people rather than the monetary compensation.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This is untrue.

If a credit card is hacked, the card is put on hold and you lose no money out of your pocket until it is resolved and you pay for the items that you purchased.

When a debit card is hacked, the money has already been taken out of your checking account, causing all sorts of other legitament checks to bounce and stuff to sort through, AND it can take you weeks to get your MONEY back, and in the meantime you have no money to pay your bills or anything until it is resolved at the banks slow pace. I never use my ATM card anywhere besides my banks ATM.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:

Our credit card company actually calls us if there is a questionable transaction. And if it was not my wife, or I, then that charge is removed at once.

As I understand it, debit cards allow the user to run up debt on that card. our youngest grandson had a fairly large amount of debt on his card and it took him quite a while to pay it off. He still refused to use a credit card. I suspect because doing so would limit his ability to pile up debt by a rather immature concept of money.

I know a lot of people poke fun at the way some women "buy" stuff they don't need, or actually use. They hold nothing on that grandson.

I don’t think you can run up debt on a debit card...are you talking fees or something?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:

I don’t think you can run up debt on a debit card...are you talking fees or something?

Maybe he has a line of credit/checkline reserve through his debit card account? I had a $500 checkline reserve line of credit on the first checking account/debit card I ever had. Horrible idea, personally.

As for the credit/debit debate, I prefer to see the money come out of my account almost immediately with a debit card, versus waiting days for it to post on a credit card. I transfer a set amount of money into my checking account every Friday from savings and buy food and gas with that. If (when) I get hacked I'm out some money, for a few days, but it's not much. And bills still get paid.

Three bills (phone, Netflix, and storage unit) come out of a credit card account monthly, and I pay them off before they even post. I dealt with debt after my divorce. Never again.

Otherwise if I'm making a larger purchase that's not regularly scheduled I either use the credit card or transfer the money specific to it to the debit card account beforehand.

And I get new cards every 6 months.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post