SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    News media and gun facts....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

News media and gun facts.... Login/Join 
posted
So, I was watching Fox news last night and they interview a woman who is supposed to be a nurse or something from the east coast.
She made the statement that Getting shot with a round fired on full automatic is more devastating to the body than a semi auto round shot.
She said it cause more trauma when it entered the body cavity????

I am no doctor but my son in law and his father are and his father has treated a lot of gunshot wounds. I will have to ask him about it.

But to me, it sounds like b.s.
I thought I would throw this out there for other opinions.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
was she the same one that said rifle rounds are more devastating than pistol rounds because rifle rounds 'explode' inside the body (I think she meant fragment, but c'mon).

On ABC the crawler said the gunman used 'Armor Piercing Artillery'. wtf.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better get used to it, 'cause in the coming days and weeks we are going to hear and read tons of bullshit from the "gun experts Media" concerning guns and ammo.

Unfortunately, the great unwashed sheep will believe that Media BS.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Most definitely spotted a DD DD5 in the hotel room pics.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I like how several articles have pointed out he had an arsenal, and some even had scopes..

Oh no! A scope!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, after hearing the cache they found and reported about, I found out how bad I really am.

I saw the pics of the DDs, the .308 had a scope and the other had a slide fire or bump fire. I guess that must be the "conversion" they are talking about?

Hope they never find out where he bought that stock, the poor GS will be persecuted.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read somewhere on the web today that sales of automatic weapons to the general public were banned in 1986.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
But to me, it sounds like b.s.
I thought I would throw this out there for other opinions.

It's BS.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Don't assume the media is any more informed or any less biased on any thing else they report.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A man that doesn't watch the news is uninformed. A man that watches the news is misinformed.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s true. Moving the lever to full auto quadruples the power of a round and also guides the bullet to a target like a laser.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
When I read the thread title, I thought the OP wanted examples of oxymorons! Cool

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a lady on the radio this morning who repeatedly said "each rifle had a cartridge capable of holding 60 bullets!" Ugh.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WE know better, but the general public will believe whatever they see/hear. Well, most of them will.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
was she the same one that said rifle rounds are more devastating than pistol rounds because rifle rounds 'explode' inside the body (I think she meant fragment, but c'mon)...

Hit a deer at 120 yards with a lightly constructed 140gr from a 7mm Rem Mag, I could identify the lungs, and there was no exit wound. The deer dropped right there. Hit another deer in the same location at 40 yards with a 325gr Hornady LEVEReloution and it put a nice clean hole through both sides and through the lungs in the middle. The deer ran 90 yards into the woods.

There maybe some truth to that particular statement.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
We can all alternate our laughs about the mistakes, and groan about the exaggeration, but this is our root problem folks. The media confuses everyone who doesn't shoot or know firearms or nomenclature.

We cannot expect to win over very many converts to reason, if the public has already been misinformed and scared. Privately with our responsible and knowledgeable tribe I laugh. Overall I both lament the misinformed and truly despise the media who form opinions on topics they know nothing about.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
She made the statement that Getting shot with a round fired on full automatic is more devastating to the body than a semi auto round shot.

Complete and utter bullshit.

all other things being equal, it's about energy transference.

That is, a 55 grain FMJ 5.56 fired out of a 20" 1:9 semi-auto is going to hit with the exact same energy as a 55 grain FMJ 5.56 fired out of a 20" 1:9 automatic.

It does do more damage if you get hit by a burst v. a single round, but that's not what she's saying.

Same bullet + same muzzle velocity + same range = statistically the same result. Yes, you could have a bullet that does something weird like fragment early, or tumble funny, but that variable is attached to the projectile, not the rifle that fires it.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I would even think you could make a case for the opposite if comparing a bolt action to a semi or full auto. The bolt action round should have a little more energy coming out of the barrel, since no energy was used moving the action to chamber another round..

? Just a thought. I have no data to back it up.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
was she the same one that said rifle rounds are more devastating than pistol rounds because rifle rounds 'explode' inside the body (I think she meant fragment, but c'mon).

Well that misses a lot, and exaggerates, but it is true-ish.

That a full auto bullet is more deadly than a semi-auto bullet isn't even wrong, as the expression goes.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
I would even think you could make a case for the opposite if comparing a bolt action to a semi or full auto. The bolt action round should have a little more energy coming out of the barrel, since no energy was used moving the action to chamber another round..

? Just a thought. I have no data to back it up.

Nope, the physics doesn't work that way. Any given bullet going at the same speed and hitting a target at the same distance has the same energy and terminal characteristics regardless of the gun it came from.

And more to your point, the action type has little to no affect on the velocity of the bullet. Factors like barrel length are important, but as you know, those aren't dependent on action type.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post