SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Publix. Very Disappointed. Favorite Product Is Discontinued.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Publix. Very Disappointed. Favorite Product Is Discontinued. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
My very favorite product from the Publix in-store bakery is (was?) the onion rye bread (if this sounds familiar, it is because I have discussed it before).

There is just no bread that can compare with the taste of a slice of fresh-baked onion rye.

I was informed today, that Publix has discontinued this product. Frown Very sad. Frown

I used their website's "Contact Us" page to express my disappointment.
If y'all want to help a SIGforum member, and you live in an area served by Publix, please use their website to whine about this product being discontinued. Maybe if they see that multiple customers are looking for this product, they might bring it back. It worked for me when they discontinued the really good Publix Premium Maple Walnut ice cream; that product is back in the freezer now, so it appears that sometimes they do listen.

Publix. "Where shopping is a pleasure."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I remember your post about this bread and when I went to my Publix here in Georgia I inquired about it. I like a good rye!

They didn't have any, had never heard of it and knew of no plans to get any. "Dang" said I and continued shopping.

The ladies in their bakery take care of me pretty well however. They'll half a loaf of bread and even let me buy four hamburger buns instead of eight. Only the two of us at home and a loaf of bread is hard to finish. Their 12(?) grain multi bread is pretty good.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Sounds pretty good!

https://www.zingermans.com/Pro...enKNHPRoCeQkQAvD_BwE

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
Sounds pretty good!

https://www.zingermans.com/Pro...enKNHPRoCeQkQAvD_BwE
Holy bankroll, Batman!

$23.49 for ONE LOAF of bread!

That's $9.50 for the bread and $13.99 for the lowest cost shipping.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
onion rye bread

Were you the only one buying it?

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I love Publix's regular rye and sourdough breads.

I remember your posts about the onion rye bread and kept an eye out for it but never saw any on the rack.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
onion rye bread
Were you the only one buying it?
My previous bitching about this was that all too frequently, they were sold out, so other people got there first and bought it all.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is just no bread that can compare with the taste of a slice of fresh-baked onion rye.

That's why I bake my own.
Retail folks should recognize that quickly selling out of a product and having more people request it is generally a sign that you should increase your stock levels.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

That's why I bake my own. Retail folks should recognize that quickly selling out of a product and having more people request it is generally a sign that you should increase your stock levels.
Yup. The very last thing I want to do is to leave money on the table, or drive customers to a competing brand because my retailers are out of stock.

In my carpet cleaner rental business, I also supply the cleaning products. When I go into a store to re-supply them, I want to see at least 10% of the normal stock level of each item, still on the shelf. Any less than that, and I increase the store's allotment.

Nobody's gonna buy it if it's not available!
As far as baking your own bread, I'm going to be asking some questions about that, later, in a separate thread, in The Lounge.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Email sent

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Email sent
Received (and replied). Actually, your email was the catalyst for me, starting to think about baking. As I said just above, I am in the process of formulating some questions re baking bread. Not ready to post yet, I'm still doing some initial thinking.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
There are many items I buy regularly from my grocery store that they suddenly discontinue. My wife and I joke that they monitor my sales and discontinue items I buy as much as this happens.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My very favorite product from the Publix in-store bakery is (was?)

Don't get me started about Publix Bakery downgrades. Our favorite bread was also discontinued a few months ago. Recently Publix also stopped placing some hard crust breads out on a shelf. They are now packed in air tight bags that make the crust soft. The bakery manager said it was to increase shelf life. I told the store manager that if I wanted soft bread I could go to Walmart or buy Bunny Bread in the bread aisle. I also told him that Publix was trying hard to lower themselves to Kroger standards. We now have to drive to Whole Foods to get good fresh bread stored the way God intended.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain.

I'm STILL not over CFA getting rid of their goddamn coleslaw. Mad

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I feel your pain.

I'm STILL not over CFA getting rid of their goddamn coleslaw. Mad
And the spicy breakfast chicken biscuit. And the cinnamon rolls at breakfast.

I'm convinced that these stores have special software that tracks my credit card purchases, and whatever I buy the most of, is the product that they will discontinue next. Maybe I should pay cash, it might be harder to identify my purchases.

In the condiment section, Publix had a nice Vidalia onion relish. Very good on burgers and hot dogs. That's gone, too.

Walmart neighborhood grocery has discontinued the house brand English muffin, and also the flavor of Lender's bagels that I bought. They still have blueberry, though. Who the fuck eats a blueberry bagel?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I, too, feel your pain. Bristol Farms, my upscale supermarket, used to offer “Unseeded Rye” bread. It was the only rye bread that I’ve seen where rye was the second-listed ingredient (after water). I suspect ingredient weight was measured before baking, which reduces the water content.

I’ve seen “rye” bread that had rye listed after some of the vitamins. Frown

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Bristol Farms, my upscale supermarket, used to offer “Unseeded Rye” bread.
When I buy brand-name rye bread, I usually look for Arnold's. They have unseeded if that's your preference; I like the type with caraway seeds.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I once asked a baker at Publix about a specialty bread they didn't carry. She said they must have the printable ingredients label in their system. OK, can you check and bake me a muffaletta loaf? She checked and affirmed she could and would bake a batch. Maybe you could smile and offer to bring her a sandwich? Smile

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:

I once asked a baker at Publix about a specialty bread they didn't carry. She said they must have the printable ingredients label in their system. OK, can you check and bake me a muffaletta loaf? She checked and affirmed she could and would bake a batch. Maybe you could smile and offer to bring her a sandwich? Smile
If If the girl at the bakery counter spoke the truth, the decision to discontinue the onion rye bread was made at the corporate level and the ingredients are no longer available to the in-store bakery.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים