SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    GMAIL.... (update)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GMAIL.... (update) Login/Join 
posted
I hate GMAIL. Got lot's of SPAM on GMAIL which required me to delete each and every one.

So, the GMAIL drop down under "All mail", I see all the SPAM that I had previously spent a few hours deleting.

It's still there...

Aaaagh.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GWbiker,

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Something is not set right, also top corner is box to check all then indicator to delete forever.

Go to settings and set it up,G mail is great unlike my yahoo.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Increase your security so unknown senders are automatically sent to the spam folder. Then you can just click on the "Delete All Spam" button above them.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Increase your security so unknown senders are automatically sent to the spam folder. Then you can just click on the "Delete All Spam" button above them.

This...I do it about every three days. I know it pisses all those Russian women off Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
For me it's the free subscriptions from Mercury Magazines.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Gmail's the best of all the free email providers I've tried over the years. Especially when it comes to weeding out spam.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love it: "I don't like the service from something I get for free."

You get what you pay for.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I get about 120 to 150 spam emails a day with HotMail. You are lucky...it could be worst. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Love it: "I don't like the service from something I get for free."

You get what you pay for.

I get Outlook.com email and live.com email for free and NO spam. Their spam filters seem to work.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Interesting. Gmail's the best of all the free email providers I've tried over the years. Especially when it comes to weeding out spam.

I've tried all sort of adjustments with GMAIL. All my email messages are filtered thru Apple Mail and GMAIL cannot weed out the SPAM.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
You don't have to tell me.

My employer (with nearly 20K employees) decided at some point to use GMAIL as its enterprise e-mail provider... because it's free.

Roll Eyes

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My little mom-and-pop business owns an email domain. Not expensive, it costs about twelve bucks a year to register the domain name.

When we first started doing this I was dealing with dozens of spam messages every day. Then, I started forwarding all mail from our private domain to my gmail account, and collecting incoming mail from gmail. This method takes advantage of gmail's spam filters. Doing it this way, I rarely see any spam. Maybe one or two a month, usually not even that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

My employer (with nearly 20K employees) decided at some point to use GMAIL as its enterprise e-mail provider... because it's free.

Roll Eyes

-Rob

Not for businesses like that, it's not.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Roll Eyes

-Rob

Dramatically cheaper than maintaining MS Exchange, then, I suppose. I'd suggest there's a reason for that.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Roll Eyes

-Rob
Dramatically cheaper than maintaining MS Exchange, then, I suppose. I'd suggest there's a reason for that.
Question for you, Rob: Is the domain name for your employer's email <person>@gmail.com? Or is it more like <person>@<employer_name>.com? If the latter, it's not free. Gmail (Google) does offer business mail services at very competitive pricing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Roll Eyes

-Rob
Question for you, Rob: Is the domain name for your employer's email <person>@gmail.com? Or is it more like <person>@<employer_name>.com? If the latter, it's not free. Gmail (Google) does offer business mail services at very competitive pricing.

Yeah. It's not free. I know it's not free, but it still sucks and it's still cheaper than Exchange. I know this because it's one of the first conversations I had with IT when I came on board. They were NOT happy with the switch when it was made several years before I arrived. They still aren't, but have no say in the matter.

-Rob

A=A

posted Hide Post
Found out my GMAIL account was being hacked. I went into the mail GMAIL site for that bit of info.

Made a few adjustments to junk/delete pull downs and changed my password to something stronger.

Then, I deleted over 2,000 emails.......again.

Thanks for all advice from those interested.

posted Hide Post
Glad you worked it out. Remember that EVERYTHING you send via Gmail is monitored. Don't believe you are having a private conversation. Ever. Also, if you use Google Docs and Google Drive, that is monitored as well. The good comes with the bad. The good, pedophiles get scooped up sooner by stupidly saving images to google drive. Google reports them and they get arrested.

The bad, you have no privacy.

General Petraus had a good scheme going with his mistress. They would do naughty messages as a Gmail draft to each other, and the other person would delete it before then doing a draft in turn. They though by not sending it there would not be a record.

Of course, turned out there was a trail. Same with google docs. Your state changes the firearms law and you go in to delete one on your serial number list that you had bought face to face. They still have it.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Don't like it never have. Only reason I have it is because you have to have it to set up an account withface book or you tube or any android device you own.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the counties I deal with started bouncing my regular email, saying it was an untrusted sender or somesuch nonsense. (They eventually collected some of their shit together and corrected this.)

So I set up a Gmail account just so I could get work done for a week or so. I probably sent fewer than a dozen emails with it, all to one county, and it's been basically dormant ever since. But it sure attracts the spam. You'd think with so little exposure, the spambots would miss it.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post