SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    THWACK!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THWACK! Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Yes, that's the sound that a brand new Carbon Express Nano Pro RZ arrow with a 120gr. tool steel tip makes on its maiden voyage as it sails over the top of the target bale and hits a rock in the back berm of the range shattering into pieces.

Yes, my daughter trying to get her bow sighted in with new arrows for the Arizona Cup thought she knew better than her old man of how much to adjust her sight.

I'm home now, I think I'll set a $50 bill on fire and watch it burn, it might be more satisfying...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just because it's not guns, race cars, airplanes or golf, doesn't mean it won't get expensive!

Cost of doing business, we've all been there.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase Sam Cooke:

Maya, draw back your bow
And let your (Carbon Express Nano Pro RZ) arrow go
THHPP!
Straight to the bulls-eye for me

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When I bought my first compound bow I didn't put sights on it. I thought "I've been shooting bow and arrow without sights all my life (the funny part there being I was probably 15-16 years old Big Grin ), I don't need stupid sight pins!"

My very first shot in my back yard... missed the target by quite a lot... THROUGH the fence, into the pile of scrap steel we had. A nice 90º bend in the arrow. Wow... a lot more speed and power than I'm used to. Jeeze if that thing glanced up instead and folding over... Eek
Didn't fire a second arrow, walked to the store the next day and bought sights. I didn't want to kill anyone and I only had 2 arrows left.

Nowhere near the price of carbon arrows, but expensive for one shot to a guy with no regular source of income. Wink

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Hobbies are expensive. I'm on a 3 week cycle with the Jeep. Week 1, take it out and break it. Week 2, figure out what I broke. Week 3, fix it.

Then I'm ready to repeat the cycle. It kind of sucks, but unfortunately most things that are fun cost a lot of money.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
With the Summer Olympics two years away, I'm wondering if you have any plans to attempt to get on the team?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Center mass,
Armpit level...

Picture of greekfed
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be better to buy a replacement rather than burning that $50??

Just kidding! I've followed Maya's "career" since your earliest posts and wish you both well!

:-)

Posts: 3154 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: August 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
With the Summer Olympics two years away, I'm wondering if you have any plans to attempt to get on the team?

She'd either have to switch over to a recurve bow or the Olympics would have to open up to compound.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yoicks.

That makes Nitro Express rounds look cheap.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
2000Z-71,
I just heard that my daughter-in-law's niece has started archery; she's almost 10. Don't know what kind of gear she's using. I recommended they look at some of your threads; and mentioned the importance of good coaching, and the potential for great social interaction and the ability to stretch yourself as good things about continuing and advancing in archery for young people.

Do you have any advice you'd care to share, based not only on your role as a father, but as a coach also?

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear ya, I bought my son an expensive set of arrows for Christmas and he lost two the first time target shooting.
They did not cost like that though.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
2000Z-71,
I just heard that my daughter-in-law's niece has started archery; she's almost 10. Don't know what kind of gear she's using. I recommended they look at some of your threads; and mentioned the importance of good coaching, and the potential for great social interaction and the ability to stretch yourself as good things about continuing and advancing in archery for young people.

Do you have any advice you'd care to share, based not only on your role as a father, but as a coach also?

Biggest thing is to keep it fun, especially when just starting out. Start slow and see if it takes hold and is something they want to do.

I highly recommend that your niece's parents find a JOAD program in their area for staring out. JOAD sands for Junior Olympic Archer Development, it is USA Archery's youth program. Don't let the word Olympic in the name intimidate, it really is meant for kids of all ages and skill levels. A good club should have loaner equipment for beginners so there should't be a huge financial commitment until her parents know her interest level and dedication. Link below for USA Archery's club locator.

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-ar...aa-clubs/find-a-club

A good JOAD club will have coaches who can teach form, give direction, advise on equipment and most importantly teach fundamentals that carry over into life like sportsmanship and being able to face and overcome difficulties. Every club will have its own personality. Some like ours, are based out of an archery shop while others may be tied to a municipalities parks and rec. department. Some like ours, will be very heavily the compound see of the sport while others are heavy on the recurve side.

I'll warn you it can become addictive. You watch the kids having fun and thing, "Hmm, maybe I should try..." Before you know it you've got 4 bows hanging on the rack, are a Level III coach and certified judge. Hope your niece has fun with it and let me know if you've got specific questions.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Or maybe you might want to nudge her into the direction of firearms sports?????

quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

She'd either have to switch over to a recurve bow or the Olympics would have to open up to compound.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in my backyard (wooded area) and was dialing in field points and hunting broad heads. I grabbed an arrow and launched that sucker about 4 ft high. The minute I shot I knew something was wrong, I just didnt know what. Come to find I had an empty insert and never put the field point back on.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post