SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dunkin' Used-To-Be-Donuts
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dunkin' Used-To-Be-Donuts Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ensigmatic, do yourself a favor and drive over yonder to Ypsilanti.

Go past the phallic water tower Link and continue down Washtenaw Ave. To Dom Bakeries. It's at 1305 Washtenaw Rd, Ypsilanti, MI 48197 and they have the best donuts I've ever had.

Their apple fritters are stuffed full of apple, and their plain glazed are melt in your mouth. Their old fashioned are crumbly goodness, and their filled long johns filled to the brim.

They closed down during the covid hysteria, and last I knew were only doing drive through now. One morning I went to get them and ended up getting Dunkin as they were closed. I couldn't believe how tiny the Dunkin donuts we're compared to Dom's. They're $1 to $1.50 a piece but so worth it.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I ever had a donut from Dunkin. I always went for the coffee and a bagel. I no longer drink coffee due to some health problems but DD coffee was my favorite. Wish I could explain why.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Who cares that they didn’t list donuts on their drive through menu? Seriously. A dozen posts in you explain that they had donuts in fact but you were annoyed because they aren’t on the menu.
I think that you're missing ensigmatic's point, Pete. Let me give it a try:

Dunkin' Donuts has a bunch of different types of donuts. In "normal" times, a customer can belly up to the counter, look at the bins on the back wall, and see what the flavors are, and then say, "two of these, three of those, etc."

ensigmatic went there, the lobby was closed so he could not go inside to view the offerings. Yeah, the menu at the drive-through said that there were donuts, but the question is, WHAT KIND(S) OF DONUTS? Plain, glazed, cake, jelly-filled (flavor? raspberry? strawberry? grape?), maple frosted, donuts with sprinkles, .. . how is a person supposed to be able to order if he can not go inside to see what's available, and the outside menu does not list choices, it just says "donuts."

Sort of like a menu that says "ice cream" but does not list flavors. Or a menu that offers "sandwiches."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would/could guarantee you that all those years I worked/stationed in Virginia/MD half of my pay checks went to WAWA for their coffee, apple fritters and pretzels.

A couple of months ago I was visiting my parents at their new place in Florida and observed that they just opened a new WAWA.

I can now move to Florida.

ALSO they have a great turkey bowel around thanksgiving.

Tim Hortons:
I forgot all about them
I used to enjoy their coffee but the last few times I visited Columbus it put a hurting on me.

Before we left Columbus for Virginia (back in 2001) they used to have soups in a bread bowel.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
[John Pinette Voice]

GET OUTTA THE LINE!!!

It's Dunken Donuts, they have donuts.
You know what else they got? They got Donuts!!!

Ya want donuts, or donuts?

Get outta the line...

[/John Pinette Voice]

RIP John. Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I prefer Cambodian donuts. It’s partially a joke because 99.7% of independent donut stores are Cambodian owned and they all trace back to just one man who learned the trade and started helping other Cambodians to open their own stores.

He made millions but lost it all through gambling.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
[John Pinette Voice]It's Dunken Donuts, they have donuts.[/John Pinette Voice]
RIP John. Big Grin

John was Great- I still watch him on Youtube.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get his point but I don’t empathize. Shits been closed for months. No real surprise. You wanted a donut. You drove to a donut place. You know they have donuts. You get butt hurt that said donuts aren’t on the menu. You pout and drive home donut less. Even though they had donuts. I love a good rant but at least buy a donut, you put in all the work only to go h9me to a veggie muffin thing. Ugh

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Who cares that they didn’t list donuts on their drive through menu? Seriously. A dozen posts in you explain that they had donuts in fact but you were annoyed because they aren’t on the menu.
I think that you're missing ensigmatic's point, Pete. Let me give it a try:

Dunkin' Donuts has a bunch of different types of donuts. In "normal" times, a customer can belly up to the counter, look at the bins on the back wall, and see what the flavors are, and then say, "two of these, three of those, etc."

ensigmatic went there, the lobby was closed so he could not go inside to view the offerings. Yeah, the menu at the drive-through said that there were donuts, but the question is, WHAT KIND(S) OF DONUTS? Plain, glazed, cake, jelly-filled (flavor? raspberry? strawberry? grape?), maple frosted, donuts with sprinkles, .. . how is a person supposed to be able to order if he can not go inside to see what's available, and the outside menu does not list choices, it just says "donuts."

Sort of like a menu that says "ice cream" but does not list flavors. Or a menu that offers "sandwiches."

They may have dill pickle flavored doughnuts, you never know.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get his point but I don’t empathize.

Glad you finally got the point. Don't care that you don't empathize.

And the home-made zucchini muffins were better than the flavored cardboard crap DD sells, these days, anyway.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I've never seen the attraction of DD. Below average donuts and crappy coffee. If you must go to a chain for coffee, try Caibou Coffee, now sold at Einstein Bagels. I don't know where to suggest for donuts, I always went to local places. Damn, now I need to find donuts tomorrow morning!

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last week, after my husband & I went hiking with the dogs, my husband asked if we could stop by our favorite donut shop called "Donut Crazy". Once in a blue moon I am in the mood for a jelly filled donut (the only kind of donut I eat) & he wanted a coffee. We get in the drive thru line & same thing, no donuts listed on their menu & they are known for their gourmet, "different themed" donuts that look like mini cakes & works of art. I told them I wanted a jelly filled donut. The lady taking my order told us they were completely out of donuts. If I were by myself, I would have just left without ordering anything but we still got my husband an iced, nitrogen coffee.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

In our little town, we don't have many fast food outlets. Burger King, McD's, Subway, Pizza Hut, and a franchise (southwestern franchises) of Filibertos. The local Filibertos is run by an excellent crew, and is the best place around to get authentic Mexican food. That, and the local-only Screamers drive in for hamburgers, are our best choices for eating out. Screamers used to be one of those real drive ins, where you drive up under a corrugated metal roof and the waiter comes out with your food and hangs it off your door on a tray. Now, it still looks like what it was, but you go inside to order. Still excellent hand made burgers. Family owned and operated by a Kosovan (legal) immigrant family.

We did have a short-lived Dunkin Donuts. I think they pulled out after 18 months of operation (about 5 years ago).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
I've never seen the attraction of DD. Below average donuts and crappy coffee.

We never went to them when the little one-off local donut place was still in business. But what're ya gonna do when you want donuts and DD is the only game in town?

Mind you: DD's donuts used to be decent. Not great, but decent.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicHorse:
I told them I wanted a jelly filled donut. The lady taking my order told us they were completely out of donuts.

A place called "Donut Crazy" was... out of donuts?

Ya gotta wonder, sometimes, about the business acumen of the people running these places.

Not to haul my own thread off-topic, but I'm reminded of our last, probably permanently last, visit to Olive Garden. Probably the worst "Italian" food I've ever experienced. Didn't used to be that way. Used to be, not great, but at least passable. Subsequently found OG doesn't salt their pasta water in order to extend the life of their pots and pans. WTAF?!?! Can only imagine what other corners they cut that are essential to making Italian food taste like Italian food.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
A place called "Donut Crazy" was... out of donuts?

Ya gotta wonder, sometimes, about the business acumen of the people running these places.

It may be a pandemic-related supply issue.

A number of companies in a wide variety of industries are having trouble sourcing their needed raw materials in the desired quantities.

They want to make their products, but can't.

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Not to haul my own thread off-topic, but I'm reminded of our last, probably permanently last, visit to Olive Garden. Probably the worst "Italian" food I've ever experienced. Didn't used to be that way. Used to be, not great, but at least passable. Subsequently found OG doesn't salt their pasta water in order to extend the life of their pots and pans. WTAF?!?! Can only imagine what other corners they cut that are essential to making Italian food taste like Italian food.

Oh, my sweet summer child... It's so very much worse than Olive Garden simply not salting their pasta water.

Olive Garden's dishes are produced in mass quantities at huge corporate kitchens, then shipped (usually frozen) in plastic bags to the restaurants. When you order something, the bag containing your serving of food is dropped into a pot of boiling water, and when it's up to serving temp, it's pulled out of the boiling pot, the bag is cut open, and the food is dumped onto your plate.

But you're technically correct... the water that's boiling your plastic bag of food isn't salted. Big Grin

(And some of the food is microwaved or broiled to heat it instead of boiled, depending on the dish.)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
You're not missing much.

The problem is that very few (maybe none) of their stores makes their own donuts any more.

Instead, they are pre-baked at centralized factories (sometimes several states over), and then distributed out to stores where they are half-ass rewarmed as needed.

So you're paying for old, dry, stale, warmed-over donuts with a fancy label.

Find a local mom-and-pop donut shop, who actually make their own. They'll be better, fresher, and maybe even cheaper.

I ate a donut from Dunkin years ago on the road and it was not good; the ones at the supermarket are better. I don't eat donuts very often, but when I do, they are from a mom & pop or Krispy Kreme. Fresh-off-the-conveyror donuts from KK are like crack. A day old, not so much.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
[John Pinette Voice]

GET OUTTA THE LINE!!!

It's Dunken Donuts, they have donuts.
You know what else they got? They got Donuts!!!

Ya want donuts, or donuts?

Get outta the line...

[/John Pinette Voice]

RIP John. Big Grin

Big Grin

Krispy Kreme is the way to go, I far as I'm concerned, but I understand the OP's distance situation.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
After seeing this thread, I took a look at one of their locations near me. The signage simply said 'Dunkin' and 'DD'. It reminds me of Kentucky Fried Chicken trying shift to being just 'KFC'.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6371 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile since I've eaten a donut, but I was in 7-11 the other day and noticed all the donuts arrive in individual cellopane packages.

Every.Single.One.Of.Them.

Apparently a person used to be able to go in and just grab donuts with the tongs or plastic napkin thing and fill the box themselves. Not any more.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

all the donuts arrive in individual cellopane packages. Apparently a person used to be able to go in and just grab donuts with the tongs or plastic napkin thing and fill the box themselves. Not any more.
Given some of the behavior that I have observed, this is probably A Good Thing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post