SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Verbose expert Intellectuals
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verbose expert Intellectuals Login/Join 
posted
Since the 60's I knew that there are wine connoisseurs,
then in the 70's came the cigar "experts"
the 80's brought beer aficionados.
cheese people in the 90's

I am not knocking people for know what they like, thats all well and good.

but offering 9 times more information about stuff or ridiculing someone for a choice they make, is kinda H/S, in my book.

good for you for taking classes , reading the web , taking the time to enhance your knowledge and going to seminars.

but how about waiting for someone to ask you a question , once in a while.

this came about because a "chef" told me that Real pizza has three ingredients, four maximum.

what I choose as pizza is just stuff cooked together.

don't get me wrong , I enjoy trying other peoples stuff, that they call good.

but I am not impressed by your know 30 facts about what I am eating, I either like it or , not so much.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
There's a difference between being a connoisseur vs a snob. The type of ppl you describe certainly exist in the gun community.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Brevity is the soul of wit

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Oh Bendable, you’re just not snooty enough. Saw that right off. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I'm not picky about food, drink and most ingredient particulars. The wife brought some wine over to a Thanksgiving meal at a relatives yesterday. They are usually rather picky but it sounds like this year it went over rather well, yes I was working.

I know a few that only eat this or that, organic and whatever. Those few seem to have more health issues than normal. I know I run circles around them health wise, all in moderation.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Oh, come on. A pizza connoisseur???

The real experts in my book eat their pizza with beer and they don't care how many ingredients you put on it so long as they get what they want on their half.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Obviously you misunderstood what you thought I was saying.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It can be a bit much, no doubt.

I have friends like that, and can be that way myself, I'm sure.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I can definitely be like that sometimes. It's not malicious... I don't like to ridicule people. But I can certainly be overly verbose, especially online.

It's not because I think I'm smarter than someone, or want to lord my knowledge over them.

It's more that, when it comes to something that I'm passionate about (like historical firearms), I tend to want to vomit all the info out at once, because I think it's really interesting and hope that they do too.

Posts: 32426 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One fact or two .

This wine is from northern washington state
and
the grapes were picked on a tuesday .

thats plenty

what they used for fertilizer, when the vines were planted, what temperature it has to be served at, what cheese NOT to serve with it,
the serve by date
is just way too much.

and telling us what three wines it compares too, again
too much Info

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only pizza info I require:
Do you deliver?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was told by the owner of a very good pizza shop that if it didn't have Anchovies it wasn't a Pizza. As he was an Italian immigrant I didn't feel that I was in any position to dispute his claim. Truth be told I actually like some Anchovies on my Pizza, IMO it's the perfect companion to pepperoni and cheese.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Years ago I was told by the owner of a very good pizza shop that if it didn't have Anchovies it wasn't a Pizza.
A very astute man.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Preview of movie "Somm."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zeyuk8hL8

Wiki "SOMM" info

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOMM_(film)

This movie may help explain why the guy said more than North Washington, grapes picked on Tuesday.

Sometimes, people let their passion overtake a short answer.

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Back around 1970 or so, I worked for a multi-national company. We were designing a product based in part on one that was produced by our counterpart in France. One of the engineering directors from France came here to the U.S. to give us some technical guidance.

At the time I was the only unmarried member of the team, so he and I hung out together quite a bit after working hours. One evening I took him to my favorite French restaurant in the area. We ordered dinner (I still remember their cassoulet!) and I handed him the wine list, as he was certainly more familiar with the selection than I was.

He pointed out a moderate priced wine, said that it was a very good value, an excellent wine. He said that every Sunday on the way to visit his mother he passed that vineyard and it was on the north side of the hill so it got the sun between two and four in the afternoon. I was not sure what that all meant, but it was pretty tasty.

The owner of the restaurant stopped at our table to check on our meal and the two of them had a conversation in French. The restaurant owner asked how we liked the wine; my friend replied that it was very good, but not quite up to the quality of the wine that he was used to at home. He was, of course, pulling the restaurant owner's leg.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Oh, come on. A pizza connoisseur???

The real experts in my book eat their pizza with beer and they don't care how many ingredients you put on it so long as they get what they want on their half.

and everyone knows a true pizza connoisseur will eat that pizza cold the next morning for breakfast

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Real pizza has three ingredients, four maximum.

That's not enough to make the dough alone.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To expand on lymans post. We couldn't quite finish the pizza we had at the bar and I joked to the other couple we were with that we would have it for breakfast with a fried egg on top. Next morning I tried just that. Great!

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Real pizza has three ingredients, four maximum.

That's not enough to make the dough alone.

dough and crust is one
sauce is another
cheese is another

i.i.u.c.
a proper pizza has one or two toppings

I think thats what he meant ( the expert)

or maybe the dough and sauce counts as one

I was afraid to ask him for additional information

Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Tell him to fuck off to Sicily where we ordered "pizza" and just got crunchy toast with fish on top. mmmmm The tomato is a New World vegetable.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post