SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Socks that don’t last
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Socks that don’t last Login/Join 
posted
Not the ones that travel to a different dimension inside the washer or dryer, but the ones that quickly get holes in heels, toes or other sections. Anyone have a recommendation for brands that are comfortable yet sturdy enough to last for a while? I haven’t noticed my expensive ones lasting any longer than the cheap ones. Hopefully someone has had good luck with theirs!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
The Gold Toe socks, Costco usually has them

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I buy these ones. They are cheap and I replace them every year. 12 pairs $20.

I don't look for durable in socks, I rather just get cheap ones and replace them often.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I have darn tough socks that I bought in 2014 that are still like new. I have a half dozen pair that I wear for work in boots, running, cycling, or just to wear. They NEVER go in the dryer.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check your shoe sizing. If your feet are moving around inside, you have poor sizing and your socks will suffer.

I have heels that are somewhat narrow - have to watch what I buy.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit buying cheap socks years ago. SmartWool and Bombas are quite durable and more comfortable from the day you get them.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
My goto socks for the last few years have been Point6 - merino wool socks, guaranteed for life. This company was started by the people who started (and sold) SmartWool. They aren't the cheapest, but I have yet to wear a hole in any. Right now they have a 30% off promotion (VDAY19).

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I mostly stopped wearing any socks that have cotton in them a while ago. My feet sweat too much.

First I wear Smartwool. They make good socks but I have worn out a few pairs but only after a lot of wear. Currently, I have a few pairs of Darn tough I wear. Haven't worn any of them out yet. If I do I will be testing their lifetime warranty out.

Both of the above are expensive. I only buy them when I find a good deal. For me, they are worth it as they last much longer then cheapo socks and they don't hold in sweat. Also wool is a natural microbial so they don't smell nasty after a long day.

There are other decent brands out there. I have some Under Armour short socks I wear with sneakers in the summer. When they wear out I will replace them with Darm Tough or Smart Wool ones. Merino wool is much better than the stuff Under Armour and some others use in their sport type socks IMHO.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife gave me a couple of pairs of Bombas for Christmas. They are now my favorite socks. Wear them with boots daily.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
callus's on your feet will wear them out from the in side, especially if your shoes fit loosely

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darn Tough socks bought from GoBros who is currently running a 15% off sale (SWEET15) with free shipping and Darn Tough offers an unconditional lifetime guarantee. I just bought several pairs after having 4 pairs of them for 3 years with them being in the same shape as when I got them. I used to go through Smart Wool, Ibex and others within 1-2 years...

These are a little more expensive but once you find ones you like, it is hard to switch.

I hang mine to dry after washing with the rest of my laundry and my wife throws hers in the dryer... Both ways of drying them work.

Kevin

Posts: 130 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I'm a Smartwool guy too. I buy 4 pair of their medium hikers every six to nine months, and wear them for 12+ hours a day in boots.

I've never worn a pair out, but I find that after nine months or so (washing weekly, hanging to dry) they start to wear a little and shrink just enough that a new pair feels great on the feet.

I buy 4 new pair and they become my primary, I keep another 8 pair in the drawer in reserves and toss whatever's past that.

I've always heard great things about Darn Tough, but what I'm doing works for me.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I buy the medium weight work sock from Deluth Trading. They're $26 for a 6-pack but they last years.
https://www.duluthtrading.com/...underwear-socks-work

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I wear Thor-Lo tennis crews; daily wear, gym, or pickleball. I rotate (more or less) through 18 pair and and these are going on 3 years.
When my bad toenail starts a hole, I just sew it up and it's good for another year. They are a bit expensive so I wait for the buy 3 get 4 sales. I already have a dozen new pairs waiting for some of the other's to wear out. They've been on a closet shelf for a couple of years...still waiting for the call.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Gold Toe on the cheaper end, Smartwool or Darn Tough on the upper end. All three are much better than the Dockers, Hanes, Chaps, whatever was on sale that I used to buy.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Cut and file your toe nails.
I don't remember holes in socks for 30/40 years.
Haynes and gold toe have been my socks for decades.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Fox River socks....got a bunch for hubby, and they are still good, and it’s been a few years. And he walks constantly for work, on concrete.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Eastbay.com athletics socks. Front of the sock is cut like the front of your toes are shaped. Reinforced heel, arch, and toes. I have several pairs and have not worn out a pair yet. They are not expensive, but bargain priced.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I don't look for durable in socks, I rather just get cheap ones and replace them often.

This!

If I won the lottery, I would wear a new pair of socks every day.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I buy the medium weight work sock from Deluth Trading. They're $26 for a 6-pack but they last years.
https://www.duluthtrading.com/...underwear-socks-work

I got a pack of those, the lightweights, and a bunch of their wool verities. After trying them all I have really liked the medium poly socks this fall and winter. As a bonus the medium and lightweight work socks are on sale.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post