SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Curbside Recycling and the Street Urchins Who Rummage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Curbside Recycling and the Street Urchins Who Rummage Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted
I recently moved from a very nice suburb of the midwest to a high-falutin' New England town that borders a dump of a city. I'm used to getting my leaves vacuumed off of the curb, any and all trash including couches and hazmat picked up, and my sidewalks plowed by a dude channeling his inner Otto Mann while he blasts around in a tracked Bombardier. All this accomplished by well paid city employees who get compensated by a very reasonable tax rate.

Now I pay almost 12k per year in property tax, a percentage of my vehicle's value every year for plates, and a fucking tithing to a douchebag governor. What do I get for those dollars you ask? Yard waste that needs to be gift wrapped in a goddamn bag for pickup, the privilege of clearing my own 300' of sidewalk or facing imprisonment, and having to pull a permit if I want to clean my gutters.

Last week my recycling bin was stuffed to the brim. I came out in the morning and recyclables were all over my tree lawn. At first I thought perhaps it spilled when the truck tried to dump it, but nope, the truck hadn't come by yet. This morning I catch this fucker waist deep in the bin rummaging. I tell him to beat it, he does. All the while mumbling about coming back. You see, the state in its infinite wisdom charges me 5 cents per can / bottle. They then hope I won't take them back. My commie neighbors think that it is our duty to separate them and leave them in a different bin for the street urchins.

SERENITY NOW!

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I am not being a smart ass but why did you move?
When I lived in New Jersey it was a crime for anyone other than the town to take your recycled items. They say the materials were used to pay for the program.
We were required to recycle no exceptions. If the town recycling manager found any recyclable material in your regular trash you would first receive a warning than after that a fine.
The manager would drive around town and do spot inspection of your garbage.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2567 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Career advancement for myself, and the wife. It's a valid question, I never would have moved here otherwise.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:

Career advancement for myself, and the wife. It's a valid question, I never would have moved here otherwise.

Congratulations for you and your family.
I moved to Florida in 1999 and it was a huge difference from what I was used to when it came to municipal services.
In New Jersey services were much better but taxes were through the roof compared to where I live in Florida.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2567 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in AZ we have bulk pick up twice a year where you can leave a pile about the size of a small car on the curb and the city comes by and collects it.

Each time, without fail, the trucks and vans from God knows where arrive in the night and they rummage through the piles looking for anything they can use (sell?). That in itself would be fine but they usual make a huge mess and you have to go reorganize your pile or risk getting a fine.

I think these are the same people that ship their little miscreant kids into our area at Halloween too.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiber optic
posted Hide Post
They creep through the neighborhoods here in rusted out Mazda mini-trucks pulling a trailer full of recyclable metal they've scavenged.

Learn and love and to do
What it takes to step through

Posts: 1385 | Registered: November 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think these are the same people that ship their little miscreant kids into our area at Halloween too.

Same here, I witnessed this phenomenon last year. They trashed their 'hood, and now want to do the same to mine.

quote:
They creep through the neighborhoods here in rusted out Mazda mini-trucks pulling a trailer full of recyclable metal they've scavenged.

Up here it's rusted out early 90s Grand Cherokees and Blazers.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiber optic:

There is no creeping here. You can hear them coming with their exhaust note a mile away.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
When I lived in New Jersey it was a crime for anyone other than the town to take your recycled items. They say the materials were used to pay for the program.
We were required to recycle no exceptions. If the town recycling manager found any recyclable material in your regular trash you would first receive a warning than after that a fine.

Interesting how that would stand up in court as long as it was placed at the curb.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't mind the guy that drives through our neighborhood the night before garbage pickup. He never digs through the garbage cans and leaves things back in a pile if he moves something. If I have something worthwhile for him, I put it alongside so he can see it and take it. At least he is hustling to make a spare buck or two.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Interesting how that would stand up in court as long as it was placed at the curb.

When we lived in New Jersey we had back yard pick up of our garbage two days a week.
The inspectors would work with the trash collectors to see if any recycled materials were in the regular trash.

NRA Life Member

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Back a few years, we had cats. Lots of cats soiled rotten. My wife fed them canned food, then washed out each can and lid. Then we'd recycle them at the curb. We were good citizens. But one night I was sound asleep and I heard a siren, not the kid doing 60 in my 30 zone, but a stationary one. I got up, looked outside and there was the local with his lights on, too. So I pulled on some pants and went outside. It seems some bastard decided he was a field goal kicker and did his best on the poor little green plastic tub. Cans and lids all over the street. The cop said he didn't think it was funny, but I should clean it all up. I agreed and placed them all in the normal garbage can. No reason for me to recycle if someone was going to trash the place.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:

I don't mind the guy that drives through our neighborhood the night before garbage pickup. He never digs through the garbage cans and leaves things back in a pile if he moves something. If I have something worthwhile for him, I put it alongside so he can see it and take it. At least he is hustling to make a spare buck or two.

It's the bermuda triangle effect. Anything metal that goes out to the curb disappears within a few hours. I've never seen anyone actually take stuff, but I've also never seen the item still at the curb the next morning on my way to work.

The last item was a truck bed. My brother swapped his rusty one for a clean one from a yard (surprisingly easy swap). He didn't want the old one, so we pushed it to the end of the driveway. I have no clue how someone took it away, it was an 8ft bed so a standard pickup wouldn't easily manage it, it wouldn't easily fit in one of those over-crowded scrapper trailers, not to mention it took 4 people to move it. I didn't hear a sawzall or anything, it just disappeared in the night.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was once shacked up with a chick who was the queen of yard sales. She did a couple a month and made good money.
But.... A handful yard sale browsers would cruise the sale but not buy anything.
When the sale items did not sell, the queen put the leftovers out at the curb.
Along come our browsers late at night to help themselves.
Never failed.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds a tad totalitarian...

Where I lived before it was usually old Chinese dudes who would search the recycling, take the cans and put the rest back in the bin.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the way my rural county does it instead of curbside recycling pickup: a centrally located roll off box we can stop by and throw all recyclable materials into without sorting or other nonsense like leaving it at the curb for people to rummage around in.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have access to a big dumpster for 8 hours a day, four days a week. I can pretty much drop whatever I wish in it.

NO trash pick up, one has to drive to the site, but it's on the way to town.

We try to recycle but it's such a PITA that I'm happy the Wife will do it....meaning drive the other way, to Helena and drop the recyclables at THREE different locations.

Then I visit my Mom in NJ and taking out the trash almost requires a degree. A cheat sheet for sure. Papers go one day, certain recyclables another day, REAL trash a third day. It has to be packaged a certain way, etc. PITA.

Then again for the ridiculous taxes she pays at least they do come to the house.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then again for the ridiculous taxes she pays at least they do come to the house.

Back when the area around me actually produced goods instead of just consuming them, they would send a dude up your driveway on a Cushman and pick the trash up from your garage.