SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I feel incomplete without my pocket knife
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I feel incomplete without my pocket knife Login/Join 
posted
My mom is a big Baltimore Orioles fan. For mothers day I got us tickets to go to the game together.

We get to the gates to go through security and I set off the metal detector. I had forgotten to remove my pocket knife when I left the house.

I have been wearing this pocket knife every day for the last 5 years. Model is a Cold Steel AK47. Not a thing wrong with it after all these years.
I didn't drive to the game, took the train into town, so there was no walking it back to the car.

I HAD TO THROW IT IN THE TRASH!! It was extremely difficult bringing myself to drop it in the can. I could see people staring at me watching me struggling to throw it away.

I still feel naked without it....do I re order the same knife or do I use this as an opportunity to upgrade?

Anyone else feel incomplete with out something you have carried EVERY DAY for years then lost said item?
What did you lose that left you feeling incomplete?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AJRB,

Posts: 62 | Registered: June 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
You could have buried it in one of the nearby planters and taken a chance that it would still be there after the game.

BTDT, by the way. I remember enjoying games at Camden Yards before the metal detectors.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I clip mine horizontally behind my belt buckle and zipper to defeat metal detectors. 100% of the time they let me in without touching my junk.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
You could have buried it in one of the nearby planters and taken a chance that it would still be there after the game.

BTDT, by the way. I remember enjoying games at Camden Yards before the metal detectors.

-Rob

Yeah, I had thought about doing that but I alresdy had a bunch of eyes on me for holding up the line. Figured it was better off in the trash than sone lil kid finding it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I clip mine horizontally behind my belt buckle and zipper to defeat metal detectors. 100% of the time they let me in without touching my junk.

I had a paracord lanyard attached that was dangling outside of my pocket. They saw it right away it wasn't even hidden. Lesson learned ugh....

I have also lost watches that have left me feeling the same way. Just feels wrong not being there.

posted Hide Post
Threw it in the trash?

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Son forgot he had an 80$ knife on him at airport, it got taken from him.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I made it through TSA twice with a mini griptillian. Forgot I had it clipped in a pocket until I was in line emptying my stuff into their little plastic bins. I clipped it behind my Kindle between it and it's leather case and nobody mentioned it.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
We went to a Chris Tomlin concert last month at the FedEx Forum in Memphis. Security gate with metal detector, with the table to the side that you put all your pocket stuff into the little plastic holder and walk through, you know the type.

The buzzer goes off immediately on me as I pass through, I said I guess it's my watch? The guy with the wand just smiles and says "I know what it is, you're fine," and lets us walk on. I made it about 5 steps and, as I'm putting my other belongings back in their respective pockets, I realized what he'd been looking at: My Kershaw knife was still clipped to my pants.

The guy had obviously seen it, but was cool as could be about it and let me walk.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Threw it in the trash?

Mmhmm....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Son forgot he had an 80$ knife on him at airport, it got taken from him.

That sucks, some knives have sentimental value regardless of the price tag. I think I paid around the same or a bit more for the CS ak47

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
We went to a Chris Tomlin concert last month at the FedEx Forum in Memphis. Security gate with metal detector, with the table to the side that you put all your pocket stuff into the little plastic holder and walk through, you know the type.

The buzzer goes off immediately on me as I pass through, I said I guess it's my watch? The guy with the wand just smiles and says "I know what it is, you're fine," and lets us walk on. I made it about 5 steps and, as I'm putting my other belongings back in their respective pockets, I realized what he'd been looking at: My Kershaw knife was still clipped to my pants.

The guy had obviously seen it, but was cool as could be about it and let me walk.

Wow you got lucky, I wish I had your security guy.

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

This.....I have been doing this since Active duty days and then frequenting a certain bar in E. STL known for being open for 23hrs a day and fights

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

I had it happen to me last year at the airport. I realized it while I was in line. I stepped out of line and was walking around trying to figure out what to do. I wound up throwing it out. After I got back from vacation I was telling a co-worker how I had to throw it out. He told me about the planter idea. That's what I'll do next time.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem in the airport, I walked up to security and realized I had not put my Emerson mini CQC7 in my checked bag. I had two choices dump it in trash or check my backpack, I did the latter. It cost me $125 to check my bag because I had already checked two others. Needless to say I have a very expensive non custom Emerson!! Big Grin

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I feel incomplete without...

A thread title which indicates the nature of the contents found therein.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It amazes me how many people DO NOT carry a knife. It’s beyond my ability to comprehend.

Several years ago, I lost my favorite folding knife while hanging Christmas lights. The sense of loss I felt was very real. I found it again in the spring, after the snow melted. It’s in my pocket right now.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of punch out
posted Hide Post
I've made that mistake twice at sporting events. The first, I buried it in the shrubs...still there when I got out.

The second time, nowhere to bury it. I had to trash it. Coming out of the game, the trash can full of contraband was still at the gate. My knife was still in the can, and I grabbed it on the way out. I got a little static from the guard, but it was worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We are more concerned with American Idol than we are with American Security and freedom..."

Posts: 3830 | Location: Land of the Prius... | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
It amazes me how many people DO NOT carry a knife. It’s beyond my ability to comprehend.

Several years ago, I lost my favorite folding knife while hanging Christmas lights. The sense of loss I felt was very real. I found it again in the spring, after the snow melted. It’s in my pocket right now.

I also have a hard time understanding NOT carrying one.

That's incredible you found it and still have it. It was that sense of loss you mention I'm still struggling with as I haven't replaced it yet.

I have been shopping around a bit for a replacement and want to go with a USA made brand. Leaning toward zero tolerance and Benchmade. I really like the look of this ZT 0920

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by punch out:
I've made that mistake twice at sporting events. The first, I buried it in the shrubs...still there when I got out.

The second time, nowhere to bury it. I had to trash it. Coming out of the game, the trash can full of contraband was still at the gate. My knife was still in the can, and I grabbed it on the way out. I got a little static from the guard, but it was worth it.

I can't believe I didn't think of this. I walked right past the can on the way out and didn't even think to look in it. I would not have hesitated to pull it out of the trash had I seen it in plain view.
I dont think I would have dug for it, I guess that's why I didn't look, figured digging woukd be involved. Now I'm kicking myself for not at least looking.