SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I feel incomplete without my pocket knife
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I feel incomplete without my pocket knife Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened to me at Comerica park (Tigers). I could have walked it over to the Cheleos bar, but I was with people. Luckily NOT a pricey knife. Still just security theater tho. You actually have a relationship with a local bar to hold knives from the law abiding?!

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AJRB:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
It amazes me how many people DO NOT carry a knife. It’s beyond my ability to comprehend.

Several years ago, I lost my favorite folding knife while hanging Christmas lights. The sense of loss I felt was very real. I found it again in the spring, after the snow melted. It’s in my pocket right now.

I also have a hard time understanding NOT carrying one.

That's incredible you found it and still have it. It was that sense of loss you mention I'm still struggling with as I haven't replaced it yet.

I have been shopping around a bit for a replacement and want to go with a USA made brand. Leaning toward zero tolerance and Benchmade. I really like the look of this ZT 0920

Not really familiar with Zero Tolerance knives, but that one looks really good. The knife I carry (and the one I dropped in the snow) is a BM 940. I think it’s perfection in an EDC folder.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I hate deliberately ambiguous thread titles like, “I feel incomplete without…”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Cheer up my friend, life is too short to be feeling negative over a thread title on the interwebs.
Put down the haterade, and have a great day!!!

Posts: 62 | Registered: June 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
It amazes me how many people DO NOT carry a knife. It’s beyond my ability to comprehend.

Several years ago, I lost my favorite folding knife while hanging Christmas lights. The sense of loss I felt was very real. I found it again in the spring, after the snow melted. It’s in my pocket right now.

I also have a hard time understanding NOT carrying one.

That's incredible you found it and still have it. It was that sense of loss you mention I'm still struggling with as I haven't replaced it yet.

I have been shopping around a bit for a replacement and want to go with a USA made brand. Leaning toward zero tolerance and Benchmade. I really like the look of this ZT 0920

Not really familiar with Zero Tolerance knives, but that one looks really good. The knife I carry (and the one I dropped in the snow) is a BM 940. I think it’s perfection in an EDC folder.

I checked out the BM940, looks excellent and is around the same price point as ZT. Hmmm decisions definitely going to keep looking.

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Cheer up my friend, life is too short to be feeling negative over a thread title on the interwebs.
Put down the haterade, and have a great day!!!

There is a fairly recent ruling on the matter:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...860079934#4860079934

I'd say when the Boss takes a stand on such things, it's time to take heed.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Attention seeking titles are great.

You are the clickbait of S/F.

Congrats. Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’m at a resort in Orlando with the wife and little one. A half dozen pools with various features. My Manix 2 XL has been clipped in the waist band of my trunks all day, every day.

I lost a Sig-Tac tanto made in Seki that was a gift from my brother. Stepped off the curb and heard a clatter and didn’t think anything of it, kept going. Noticed it was missing just a minute later, remembered the clatter and ran back in front of the crowded restaurant and it was gone. That one still stings.

Last year, I managed to remember my Spyderco was clipped in my pocket right as the gate agent was pulling the last checked bag off the scale. Popped it in the suitcase and heaved a sigh of relief.

Two years ago, representing my company at a guitar show at a convention center, I had to re-enter from the front entrance at one point. Had been there since early morning when we loaded in the booth setup from the side entrance. Apparently, wearing the company polo and having an industry badge wasn’t enough for the dimwit at the metal detector, and he wouldn’t let me in with my S110V Spyderco PM2. Had to walk a half mile out to my car and throw it in the trunk. On the way back in, I informed him there were thousands of more dangerous weapons on stands with open access to everyone. He smirked. “You ever seen an 8-12lb baseball bat made out of exotic woods? That’s what those can be. Better weapon than a pocket knife.” He stopped smirking and I went inside.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Might as well work in a Rick Astley link to your thread as well.

Oh HELL no!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Might as well work in a Rick Astley link to your thread as well.

Oh HELL no!

Sorry if anyone was annoyed by the title. I didn't know about any rules it would break. Lock it down if it's a violation of some kind.
I guess I don't spend enough time on this forum, sheesh tough crowd. I'll think twice before creating any more threads around here.
Cheers Y'all

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I’m at a resort in Orlando with the wife and little one. A half dozen pools with various features. My Manix 2 XL has been clipped in the waist band of my trunks all day, every day.

I lost a Sig-Tac tanto made in Seki that was a gift from my brother. Stepped off the curb and heard a clatter and didn’t think anything of it, kept going. Noticed it was missing just a minute later, remembered the clatter and ran back in front of the crowded restaurant and it was gone. That one still stings.

Last year, I managed to remember my Spyderco was clipped in my pocket right as the gate agent was pulling the last checked bag off the scale. Popped it in the suitcase and heaved a sigh of relief.

Two years ago, representing my company at a guitar show at a convention center, I had to re-enter from the front entrance at one point. Had been there since early morning when we loaded in the booth setup from the side entrance. Apparently, wearing the company polo and having an industry badge wasn’t enough for the dimwit at the metal detector, and he wouldn’t let me in with my S110V Spyderco PM2. Had to walk a half mile out to my car and throw it in the trunk. On the way back in, I informed him there were thousands of more dangerous weapons on stands with open access to everyone. He smirked. “You ever seen an 8-12lb baseball bat made out of exotic woods? That’s what those can be. Better weapon than a pocket knife.” He stopped smirking and I went inside.

Ughhh that's a real shame that sig tac tanto was lost being a gift from your bro. That's one you won't forget.
Thanks for sharing your stories at least you managed to hold into the others you had close calls with.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry if anyone was annoyed by the title. I didn't know about any rules it would break. Lock it down if it's a violation of some kind.
I guess I don't spend enough time on this forum, sheesh tough crowd. I'll think twice before creating any more threads around here.
Cheers Y'all

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cheers Y'all
Numerous people pointed out to you that your thread title was not in compliance with the guidelines that are set by the owner of this forum. You know, the forum that is free, is ad-free, and is totally paid for by the owner.

His policy re click-bait thread titles is well known, has been the topic of recent discussions.

And, with all of this, you think it's appropriate to cop an attitude? You might want to pause for a minute and reconsider.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Sorry you had to toss it.

But now you can get a better knife, although it might not be as effective on meat-filled boots.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
When I forget to carry a knife (like when I'm rushing out of the house to go somewhere), indeed it IS one of those 'feel naked' feelings.

I've only come close to having to surrender a knife once. Well...somewhat close anyways. I had been given a free pair of tickets to a M's game. We debated about going, but decided to as we hadn't been to a game in years. I knew a place near Safeco Field where I could park for free (I'm good friends with the owner of the business), so aside from time, gasoline and a little walk to the ballpark we wouldn't have much invested in the endeavor.

As we were coming up to the queue for the detectors, seeing the equipment I suddenly realized that I still had my ZT 0808 with me. I knew that I'd have to give up a relatively irreplaceable, then-recently discontinued knife that originally cost me over $200. Instead I turned to my wife and told her that I really don't want to waste 3 hours just to watch them lose another game. I suggested that I take her out to dinner instead. Bless her soul she lit up to the suggestion and to this day she still doesn't know the real reason why we didn't go into the park to watch that game.

The M's lost that night, BTW. And dinner at The Pink Door that evening was great and I even found a parking spot on the street nearby; plus we didn't even have to wait for a table. The knife gods were definitely smiling down at me.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cheers Y'all

Relax - incomplete thread titles has been a hot-button topic lately. You just don't know the customs of the forum yet. And you know every group has elf-appointed police. Don't be offended.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Cheers Y'all

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not going anywhere. I simply plan on being more careful with thread titles. I really didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Cheers Y'all
Numerous people pointed out to you that your thread title was not in compliance with the guidelines that are set by the owner of this forum. You know, the forum that is free, is ad-free, and is totally paid for by the owner.

His policy re click-bait thread titles is well known, has been the topic of recent discussions.

And, with all of this, you think it's appropriate to cop an attitude? You might want to pause for a minute and reconsider.

No attitude here, I'm being very serious about taking extra precaution on thread titles.
I enjoy this forum and certainly didn't mean to beak any rules.

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Attention seeking titles are great.

You are the clickbait of S/F.

Congrats. Razz

What, so every thread that doesn't have a small novella for a thread title is now clickbait and/or attention-seeking?

Bullshit.

This thread title is fine. Unlike thread titles such as "Y'know what really grinds me?" or "I don't mean to be a jerk, but..." with the answer inside, you know what this one's going to be about: Somebody who, for one-reason-or-another, was, or is, knifeless.

FYI, he changed his title. This originally started as "I feel incomplete without." So yeah, the title was, well, incomplete.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post