SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I feel incomplete without my pocket knife
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I feel incomplete without my pocket knife Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
When I forget to carry a knife (like when I'm rushing out of the house to go somewhere), indeed it IS one of those 'feel naked' feelings.

I've only come close to having to surrender a knife once. Well...somewhat close anyways. I had been given a free pair of tickets to a M's game. We debated about going, but decided to as we hadn't been to a game in years. I knew a place near Safeco Field where I could park for free (I'm good friends with the owner of the business), so aside from time, gasoline and a little walk to the ballpark we wouldn't have much invested in the endeavor.

As we were coming up to the queue for the detectors, seeing the equipment I suddenly realized that I still had my ZT 0808 with me. I knew that I'd have to give up a relatively irreplaceable, then-recently discontinued knife that originally cost me over $200. Instead I turned to my wife and told her that I really don't want to waste 3 hours just to watch them lose another game. I suggested that I take her out to dinner instead. Bless her soul she lit up to the suggestion and to this day she still doesn't know the real reason why we didn't go into the park to watch that game.

The M's lost that night, BTW. And dinner at The Pink Door that evening was great and I even found a parking spot on the street nearby; plus we didn't even have to wait for a table. The knife gods were definitely smiling down at me.

Thanks for sharing this story and is exactly why I had created the thread.
When this kind of thing happens it helps to tell the story to move on from that sense of loss. In your case you had a great end result which is a blessing. Amen.
I have struggled just as badly with lost or broken wrist watches. Leaves you feeling naked without it.

Posts: 62 | Registered: June 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Attention seeking titles are great.

You are the clickbait of S/F.

Congrats. Razz

What, so every thread that doesn't have a small novella for a thread title is now clickbait and/or attention-seeking?

Bullshit.

This thread title is fine. Unlike thread titles such as "Y'know what really grinds me?" or "I don't mean to be a jerk, but..." with the answer inside, you know what this one's going to be about: Somebody who, for one-reason-or-another, was, or is, knifeless.

FYI, he changed his title. This originally started as "I feel incomplete without." So yeah, the title was, well, incomplete.

Ah. See, I did not know that. By the time I got here the title had been made non-click-bait-y.

I retract my rant (the original of which will shortly be deleted), with apologies.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Congrats. Razz

What, so every thread that doesn't have a small novella for a thread title is now clickbait and/or attention-seeking?

Bullshit.

This thread title is fine. Unlike thread titles such as "Y'know what really grinds me?" or "I don't mean to be a jerk, but..." with the answer inside, you know what this one's going to be about: Somebody who, for one-reason-or-another, was, or is, knifeless.

Y'all keep this witch hunt up, and eventually you're going to force the boss to drop the hammer on those of you claiming everything that doesn't have a bug-fucking-precise title is "clickbait."

AJRB,

I really wouldn't let this drive you away from the forum. Just like you don't let left-lane campers who feel it's their duty to keep people down to the speed limit dissuade you from driving on the highway. Let it roll off.

Thanks for encouraging words.
I did change the title after learning it was breaking a rule and a sore spot for members. Again, didn't mean to annoy anyone. I'll be more careful in the future.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I carry a knife clipped to one front pocket and a small flashlight clipped to the other side.

I stopped in at the local IRS office go pick up a couple of forms. The security guard at the door pointed at the clip in my pocket and asked if it was a knife. I pulled it out and turned the light on. He was satisfied with that, never noticed the knife on the other side.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
quote:
quote:

Congrats. Razz

Bullshit.

FYI, he changed his title. This originally started as "I feel incomplete without." So yeah, the title was, well, incomplete.

This is accurate. Took me a while to figure out how to fix it but it finally figured it out.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by AJRB:

Sorry if anyone was annoyed by the title. I didn't know about any rules it would break. Lock it down if it's a violation of some kind.
I guess I don't spend enough time on this forum, sheesh tough crowd. I'll think twice before creating any more threads around here.
Cheers Y'all

Relax - incomplete thread titles has been a hot-button topic lately. You just don't know the customs of the forum yet. And you know every group has elf-appointed police. Don't be offended.

Thank you also for the encouraging words. I really had no idea. I make a point to not spend too much time on this forum or any others. I'm more of an outdoor type of person. I drop in once on a while with months on end I don't even look at this or any other forums.

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
For my part, no harm meant. We all had to get the lay of the land, so to speak.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I carry a knife clipped to one front pocket and a small flashlight clipped to the other side.

I stopped in at the local IRS office go pick up a couple of forms. The security guard at the door pointed at the clip in my pocket and asked if it was a knife. I pulled it out and turned the light on. He was satisfied with that, never noticed the knife on the other side.

Now with the title fixed maybe we can keep it moving? With apologies to those annoyed.

Thanks for also sharing your story. I also carry a key bar and they asked me if that was a knife also so I had to show them it was only keys.
If they would have not let me in with the key bar I would have said screw teb tickets and left.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

I’ve actually done that very same thing, forgot all about it until now. I felt pretty slick. Big Grin

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I’m taking my kiddos to a Babymetal show later today and I don’t know if they will be doing metal detectors or not. I’d prefer to keep a pocket knife on me, but not bad enough to risk losing it. I’ve had to give up a couple knives in the past when security found them, including a really nice Benchmade 940 that I’m STILL pissed about. Most of the time, I just forgot I was wearing it, not trying to be sneaky and get a knife into wherever. These days, if I forget I’ve got one one me, I typically look for a place outside to stash it and just hope it’s still there when I get back. So far, that has worked well for me.

I will admit, it does feel odd not having a pocket knife on me. Not quite naked or vulnerable, just...odd.

- Bret

Posts: 2464 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep sure do. Used to use it every day. There are two things that disappeared in the ER, my pocket knife and belt. Finally replaced both. Now I feel complete.

Duluth Trading was particularly nice about it. I have some of the cargo pants that come with a belt. They did not have the replacement belts for sale. Instead they ask that I send the pants back at THEIR expense and they sent my a brand new pair for no charge. Cannot beat that.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I went to Talladega for a weekend of racing for the 32nd annual time 3 weeks ago. For the first time, they were wanding all 3 days, but said nothing about knives. On Sunday, they were taking knives. I was asked if I had one, and reached for my left pocket and said no. I did have my Mini-Buck in my right pocket and kept going.

I heard some people say they put there knives in pockets on their coolers and were not checked. I did include a note in the survey they sent about this and asked why they did not tell us beforehand.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Lost a Benchmade Auto Stryker once. Pretty expensive knife for me. I hunted high, low, and middle. I scrounged until I could buy a new one. About two weeks after the new one came, I kicked back in my recliner, pulled the lever, and my old knife fell out of the bottom of the recliner.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
Lost a Benchmade Auto Stryker once. Pretty expensive knife for me. I hunted high, low, and middle. I scrounged until I could buy a new one. About two weeks after the new one came, I kicked back in my recliner, pulled the lever, and my old knife fell out of the bottom of the recliner.

That’s a happy ending if I’ve ever heard one.

I just remembered that the Gerber Gator my old man gave me as a high school graduation present vaporized in our move across country eight years ago. One of the relocation company packers who put a wet toilet brush in the same box as our clean dishes must’ve gotched it.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I clip mine horizontally behind my belt buckle and zipper to defeat metal detectors. 100% of the time they let me in without touching my junk.

This. These $8 an hour rent a hood-rat "security" screeners are not going to touch your dick. They will just assume its your belt buckle.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
I’m taking my kiddos to a Babymetal show later today and I don’t know if they will be doing metal detectors or not. I’d prefer to keep a pocket knife on me, but not bad enough to risk losing it. I’ve had to give up a couple knives in the past when security found them, including a really nice Benchmade 940 that I’m STILL pissed about. Most of the time, I just forgot I was wearing it, not trying to be sneaky and get a knife into wherever. These days, if I forget I’ve got one one me, I typically look for a place outside to stash it and just hope it’s still there when I get back. So far, that has worked well for me.

I will admit, it does feel odd not having a pocket knife on me. Not quite naked or vulnerable, just...odd.

- Bret

Ouch that stings, isn't the 940 $180ish?
I gotta ask, what is a baby metal show, and did they end up having detectors?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:

Haha that just figures. Glad you found it!! Did you return the new one or end up gifting it? Back up knife? Lol

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I went to Talladega for a weekend of racing for the 32nd annual time 3 weeks ago. For the first time, they were wanding all 3 days, but said nothing about knives. On Sunday, they were taking knives. I was asked if I had one, and reached for my left pocket and said no. I did have my Mini-Buck in my right pocket and kept going.

I heard some people say they put there knives in pockets on their coolers and were not checked. I did include a note in the survey they sent about this and asked why they did not tell us beforehand.

You would think after that many years of races, they would give people a heads up in advance about a rule change.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Yep sure do. Used to use it every day. There are two things that disappeared in the ER, my pocket knife and belt. Finally replaced both. Now I feel complete.

Duluth Trading was particularly nice about it. I have some of the cargo pants that come with a belt. They did not have the replacement belts for sale. Instead they ask that I send the pants back at THEIR expense and they sent my a brand new pair for no charge. Cannot beat that.

That's excellent CS for sure. What kind of knife did you lose and end up replacing?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I clip mine horizontally behind my belt buckle and zipper to defeat metal detectors. 100% of the time they let me in without touching my junk.

This. These $8 an hour rent a hood-rat "security" screeners are not going to touch your dick. They will just assume its your belt buckle.

I imagine you're correct. Moving forward I'm not taking any chances though.
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on ZT 0920 which is $240ish. Not worth the risk of losing a 200+ knife. I'll make a point to leave it home next sporting event or concert I end up at.