SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    USPS again - This one no doubt tops them all!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPS again - This one no doubt tops them all! Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm puzzled how my item (according to the tracking) was shipped from Florida but went up to PA first before coming back down here. I suppose the real puzzler is that it arrived on schedule.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
And these things really surprise us? Man I just don't really understand why more people do not have more problems like this. I send back some "returned" items, and they came back to me two days later....thank you very much.... Frown

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
And these things really surprise us? Man I just don't really understand why more people do not have more problems like this. I send back some "returned" items, and they came back to me two days later....thank you very much.... Frown

I once got someones piece of mail with the same house address but NE 14th street, I live on NE 11th Street. I put it in my outgoing mail, I received the same exact piece of mail about 11 days later and the address was TYPED and clearly visible. Some things the USPS does never fail to amaze me. About once every month I get a piece or two of someone else's mail, which means I'm sure other people get a piece or two of mine.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I like to imagine that somewhere in the Ethernet, there’s a thread in which someone posted about me delivering their package(s) correctly—even one day earlier than they expected.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like to imagine that somewhere in the Ethernet, there’s a thread in which someone posted about me delivering their package(s) correctly—even one day earlier than they expected.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You hit on something important. Positive comments are few and far between. Lots of people like to bitch and complain.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'll see your USPS goof and raise you a combo UPS/USPS guffaw.

Printed out the UPS return label from Vortex to return the Venom, put it on the box, it clearly showed Vortex in WI as the point of delivery, bar code visible, nothing out of line.

A week later I get it at my house, delivered none other by USPS.

The UPS Store scanned it, UPS picked it up, took it god knows where, then dropped it off at USPS who brought it to my home.

Yes the label had my return address at my home but the delivery address was clearly Vortex.

Posts: 23239 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I once got someones piece of mail with the same house address but NE 14th street, I live on NE 11th Street. I put it in my outgoing mail, I received the same exact piece of mail about 11 days later and the address was TYPED and clearly visible. Some things the USPS does never fail to amaze me. About once every month I get a piece or two of someone else's mail, which means I'm sure other people get a piece or two of mine.

If you had given it back to the carrier it probably would have gotten corrected the 1st time.
It got keyed wrong, so the barcode on the bottom of the letter was sending it to your house. And yes a carrier should have caught it the first time, and the second time.
The only thing that goes with outgoing mail, is outgoing mail. The machine is just going to read the same barcode and put it in the same order as before. I get stuff on my own route that is out of order in machine sorted mail all the time, and for different routes. I even had a letter one time, from India, TO INDIA that I kept getting back in my machined letters...

EVERYTHING IS AUTOMATED. The idea that the mailman looks at ever letter before he gets to your house and knows who got what, that Jim Bob and Jimmy Bob are two different people, is not how things are these days. We don't even have letter cases.

And no, it doesn't mean someone else got your mail.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

If you had given it back to the carrier it probably would have gotten corrected the 1st time.
Many of us do not have the luxury of being able to hang around, waiting for a carrier to make her daily rounds, just so that we can request her to please correct USPS's error.

Jimmy123x has a business to run, involving tooling around on luxury yachts (yeah, it's a tough job, but somebody has to do it).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of six732
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
What's a B route? I've only seen C and R routes.

B is the designation for parcels going to PO Box.

Posts: 782 | Location: South West Georgia | Registered: March 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Many of us do not have the luxury of being able to hang around, waiting for a carrier to make her daily rounds, just so that we can request her to please correct USPS's error.

Where ever you get your mail, put it there, by itself, any carrier worth anything will be able to see it and get it where it needs to be. Don't mingle it in with outgoing, or dump it in a collection box.

ETA: I realize if you don't sling mail for a living you're not going to be able to know this stuff. So please don't read that with a "Ge-golly you should know this" tone.

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

any carrier worth anything
Therein lies the problem.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Going on week 3 of "In Transit, Arriving Late".
Two packages. 1 from CDNN, and 1 from an eBay seller.
I've received several other packages I have ordered since.

GRRRRRRR

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, after all, it is the Federal Govt, you are dealing with.

Try working for them once if you wanna really know how screwed up they are. It is downright terrifying.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I'll sing the praises of USPS each and every day,
I ship a ton of stuff and have had very few (as in less than one handful ) of problems,

FEDEX,,,

several weeks ago the Ground driver let a door tag one the door to the house,

there were 4 folks in my detached shop, a sign in the driveway pointing to the shop that says FEDEX/UPS===> pointing to the shop,

no cars around the house, 4 in the driveway in front of the shop,,
driveway does a loop around the house, and around the shop,,,

driver turns around in the driveway and leaves,,

no granted, it was hot as fuq, and we had all the doors shut, AC running, so we did not hear the driver,,

called, raised heck, no love, ended up having it diverted and picked up,

fast forward to yesterday,

FEDEX Ground, at the shop all day, signs in place, etc etc,

tracking says at 4:07 delivery attempted,
3 vehicles at the shop,
no door tag,
bozo never bothered to enter the property,

called, raised heck, no love,
FEDEX Ground uses contracted help in this area, and the supervisors apparently could care less,

they even put me thru to a Customer Advocate,, who was also very apologetic, and worthless,

guessing I just will have to divert all Ground packages going forward

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Post Office is my carrier of choice. FedEx and UPS, not so much and not so great.

Our mail carrier sometimes comes by our house twice a day, especially during the Christmas season. We had a house painter here about two years ago during the season and he was amazed watching the mail guy drop off mail/packages in the morning, then come back again in the early afternoon.

I don't know why we are treated so well (not only us, but our neighbors also get the deluxe treatment, too) but I sure ain't gonna stop at the PO and ask about it.

And, unlike the UPS, the PO has never lost anything (I know, shouldn't have said that, prolly was the kiss of death).

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered an x-compact grip from Osage last Thursday or Friday. Don't remember which. It was on my pistol on Monday.

In the interim, the package was meticulously tracked by the USPS, and actually arrived a day early.

I went to the post office the next day to send a money order, and remarked on the accuracy and speed.

It was a considerable improvement over what I've seen in the past, and was on par with UPS or FedEx. (not a big fan of FedEx).

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
any carrier worth anything

Therein lies the problem.

So...you’ve met my mail carrier?
Over the YEARS! we’ve been dealing with this air headed buffoon, I have been given the direct number of my local USPS post office.
When we call about a missing package, we will typically get a “are you sure?” question thrown in there about the mail carrier making a mistake.
Our response is always, “Why do you think I have the direct number?”

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our carrier retired, and was wonderful. She would bring things to the door and if something didn't fit in the box, she brought not just that item, but everything to do the door and knocked, and waited for us to answer, instead of simply leaving it. On holidays, we left her cookies and cake in the box or took it out to her when she came by.

Our current mail carrier has been great, too. It's a thankless job, but she's always friendly and smiling. Always on time. Two days ago when a package was addressed to the wrong house, she brought it to us and pointed out the addressing error, which was helpful.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
If you have a problem with your mail carrier, the best solution is you run out into the street like a wild person and threaten them, having an object like a tire iron, hedge clippers etc really helps. Use phrases like "Motherfucker" and tell them "You'll never be on this route again", or "I aught to beat your ass", be creative.
And top it off by going up to the Post office and doing the same to the clerks at the front desk. You'll be amazed at the results.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post