SIGforum
A: Sinus Surgery. Q: What is More fun than kicking a Bee Hive

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/8870032574

October 04, 2020, 12:35 AM
ugeesta
A: Sinus Surgery. Q: What is More fun than kicking a Bee Hive
Had to be done but wouldn’t wish it on an enemy.

Doc went in on Tuesday to correct a 4mm septum deviation and also remove a large marble sized mass from the Left Sinus.

The procedure went fine and the mass has an early finding as benign. 4 days later I can’t get any good quality sleep as I wale up every 90 minutes. Can’t blow my nose or use my cpap. Either one will blow out the sutures.

Since no cpap use, my pulse ox is under 90% during most of my sleep time. BTW: the new I watch 6 is pretty cool being able to track this. Since I’m not getting good oxygen, I’m waking up agitated. Insurance would not approve bringing home oxygen as the required amount needed was too little.

The dry and smoky air in Colorado is equally tough. My nose linings dry out in no time so I have to keep spraying a saline mist up my nose to stay moist.

On top of all that, I have a huge canker sore on my lower lip that is in prime pain. That and a bunch of little sores on the tongue take the joy out of eating.

To finish it off, my left heel developed a crack the size of the Grand Canyon so now I can’t walk without pain....

Nurse Ratchet is out with the girls tonight and the cats are like Honeybadgers: they don’t give a fuck.

So, in a nutshell, septum surgey sucks. Not because of the Proceedure, but because of the recovery process.lack of good sleep really has more of an effect on the body that first considered.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.
October 04, 2020, 07:19 AM
OneWheelDrive
I had to have nasal polyps removed. The recovery wasn't so bad, but waking up during the operation was. Hurt like fuck.

Hoping you have a fast recovery.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."
October 04, 2020, 10:07 AM
tatortodd
Would one of these CPAP masks for mouth breathers work while your nose heals?

I had surgery for a deviated septum and turbinate reduction and in the end it was worth it, but man did it suck getting to the "it was worth it" phase. My septum was so severely deviated that the "open" sides turbinates grew to gargantuan proportions trying to moisturize the air on that side. I was on antibiotics for 4 to 6 weeks after since there was no skin on the inside of my nose. One of the side effects is that the antibiotics must have killed the good bacteria that kept funguses in check and I developed a fungal infection in my throat that was the sorest I have ever experienced. I ate Easter dinner alternating between taking a bite of food and spraying with cloraseptic sore throat spray.

I still didn't feel good afterward and that ENT is the one who sent me in for a sleep study where I was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
October 04, 2020, 06:50 PM
FlyingScot
Good luck, gets better but takes some time. Had Balloon surgery + polyps removed. Would rather kick a hive of yellow jackets before doing it again.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb
October 04, 2020, 09:30 PM
ugeesta
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Would one of these CPAP masks for mouth breathers work while your nose heals?

I had surgery for a deviated septum and turbinate reduction and in the end it was worth it, but man did it suck getting to the "it was worth it" phase. My septum was so severely deviated that the "open" sides turbinates grew to gargantuan proportions trying to moisturize the air on that side. I was on antibiotics for 4 to 6 weeks after since there was no skin on the inside of my nose. One of the side effects is that the antibiotics must have killed the good bacteria that kept funguses in check and I developed a fungal infection in my throat that was the sorest I have ever experienced. I ate Easter dinner alternating between taking a bite of food and spraying with cloraseptic sore throat spray.

I still didn't feel good afterward and that ENT is the one who sent me in for a sleep study where I was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

Ouch! That sounds like it sucked worse than what I’m going thru.... at least the mass in my nasal cavity was not stuck to the turbinate. It wasn’t a polyp, just extra flesh in the sinus cavity.

My I watch is telling me that I’ve been up every hour since midnight. Hopefully my ‘it’ will be coming in weeks, not months.

As much as the doc would like to get me off my cpap, I don’t see that happening. Just reread my notes and I may be able to start using it after my post op on Wednesday.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.
October 06, 2020, 02:04 AM
ClivefromtheMed
Hope you heal ASAP.
Brings back "fond" memories of when I had something similar done - but also went for a discount approach, and got my tonsils removed at the same time - Messing with both nose and throat is NOT advisable Big Grin

Runnin' and gunnin' (slowly..)
October 06, 2020, 08:57 PM
Aquabird
I had the septum surgery many years ago not.
Yeah not good, but since then, my sinuses have be bad at best. I have to take Olive leaf capsules daily to keep them right.
When they pulled the cotton out of my nose after the surgery, There must have been 10 ft of it and it felt like they were pulling my brains out my nose. When I got out of the dentist like chair, I almost passed out and fell into the wood paneled wall and cracked the paneling.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
October 07, 2020, 10:48 PM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
When they pulled the cotton out of my nose after the surgery, There must have been 10 ft of it and it felt like they were pulling my brains out my nose. When I got out of the dentist like chair, I almost passed out and fell into the wood paneled wall and cracked the paneling.
I knew the unpacking was going to be bad because my surgeon said that 1 hour before my appointment to take 2 vicodin and he didn't car how many days I had been off the vicodin at that point. I'm really adamant about getting off Vicodin 2 or 3 days after surgery, but I'm glad that I listed to his advice.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
October 08, 2020, 08:00 AM
ugeesta
^^^^^^^. Wow. Things have changed and happily so. I only had a couple stitches and no packing of the nose with gauze.

Went for my post op yesterday which sucked a bit. Had to get numbed up before the doc took out the stitches I didn’t and suctioned out the junk.

Was able to sleep with my cpap and at a normal position too. While that helped, I still didn’t get that great of a nights rest.

Regarding the mass, dos said most if it looked okay but there were some cells of concern so it was shipped off to Michigan for further study. Not sure what that means but could be another 3 weeks before I get results back.

October 08, 2020, 06:19 PM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
I had the septum surgery many years ago not.
Yeah not good, but since then, my sinuses have be bad at best. I have to take Olive leaf capsules daily to keep them right.

Olive Leaf Capsules?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

October 08, 2020, 08:50 PM
Aquabird
Olive leaf capsules keep sinuses from drying out.
They do make it in a liquid.
It just plain works. Been doing them for years now.
If I don't, with days like it has been around here when they are taking the crops off, it blows my sinuses up, but spent the day today outside, caulking the windows and painting trim.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
October 09, 2020, 11:30 AM
slabsides45
My wife had sinus surgery, and so did her brother. When he woke up from one of his naps afterward, he looked like he was doing a (really good) "Exorcist" movie impersonation, vomiting up blood from the postop period he had swallowed. Still a vivid memory-Jeeebbuuuusssss!!

Wife had her surgery done about a week before the Thanksgiving holiday. Her family rolled into town 24 hours after her surgery, and she felt great! Her side leaves, my side arrives, and the false high left-she was in bed the entire time, absolutely miserable and unable to sleep, a lot like what you're going through. To this day we debate the convenient onset of the "I feel like crap" symptoms coinciding with my family's arrival, lol.

Hope you feel better very soon, I've seen what you are going through and would have to be drugged and tied to go through that.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers
October 19, 2020, 11:33 PM
sjtill
I’m a doc, I’ve seen everything, but geez you guys are making my skin crawl and my stomach turn.

October 20, 2020, 08:43 AM
Perception
I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction done about 15 years ago. The recovery from that is still the worst thing I have ever been through. I was 90% blocked on one side, and 100% blocked on the other, so it was worth it. That said, I would be perfectly happy to never do anything like that ever again in my life.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."