SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Montgomery County, PA (just outside Philly) Doing Away With Same-Day PA Carry Permit Applications
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montgomery County, PA (just outside Philly) Doing Away With Same-Day PA Carry Permit Applications Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
How PA does their LTCF (License To Carry Firearms) is through the country Sheriff of each county in the Commonwealth. This newly elected (and naturally, a Democrat) Sheriff in Montgomery County (courthouse where you go to apply and get LTCF is Norristown) has just announced that he’s eliminating walk-in same-day LTCF application and granting process May 1st and implementing a 45 day waiting period.

This is complete bullshit that wil no NOTHING to stop bad guys from shooting up schools and only hurts the people that follow the rules in the first place! In another neighboring county, Bucks County, the newly elected (surprise, another Democrat) Sheriff has decided that he’s going to issue them when HE feels like it and is going to start denying them, because he can.

This horseshit is all about these damned Democrats doing things that make people “feel good” and they can boast they are “doing something” about guns. UGH! Roll Eyes

Posts: 33599 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I assume the State law allows the local sheriff such latitude?

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is PA a 'shall issue' state? Wouldn’t this violate their state preemption?

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
"out of an abundance of caution...."

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
Is PA a 'shall issue' state? Wouldn’t this violate their state preemption?

Unfortunately, the PA Sheriff does have 45 days in which to complete the investigation for a person applying for a LTC...

Link..

http://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms...in-Pennsylvania.aspx

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
In Pittsburgh, they streamlined it.

You use to have to go to the sheriff's office, fill out the form. Once they mailed your form saying you were accepted, you had to drive back down to pick it up. In downtown Pittsburgh.

Now you can complete the form online, when your form is mailed to you, you can go pick it up.

I did a renewal. I was in/out of the office in 5 minutes. Driving/parking in downtown Pittsburgh still sucks, but it was a very pleasant experience.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Montgomery Co but have now lived in neighboring Berks Co since 2014 and their setup is beautiful. They actually have satellite offices set up for gun permits on different days, I have one that operates out of a police station 5 minutes away from me on every 3rd Friday of the month. Otherwise I’d have to travel to Reading which isn’t something I like to normally do.

I just hope we Berks residents don’t elect some idiot Democrat like Montgomery Co did. Eek

Posts: 33599 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
In PA the burden of proof for CCW permit rejection lies with the state. If the Jackass Sheriff wants to deny CCW permits because he has a hard on for Statism, then he had best supply reasons that will hold up in court if challenged.

I hope all denials are challenged and a legal pecker-slap awaits.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
In PA the County Sheriff has a great deal of latitude on issuing permits...or at least it did.

I turned 21 on active duty at Drum...actually flying from Port au Prince to Cap Haitian, when I got home I bought a USP9 and went to the SO in Erie...my home county

I was told, by a very nice woman, "don't waste your time the Sheriff does not issue to Active Duty Military"

She suggested I go to another neighboring county ...

That changed when they elected a new Sheriff...I went in with the paperwork and got my permit a week later

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the mid '80's I had moved from York County to Luzerne County and I wanted to renew my PA LTC paper work, so one day I went into the Luzerne County Sheriff's office...

The hostility I received from the Luzerne County Sheriff's office personal was amazing. "No one should have a firearm, too much crime on the streets due to easy access of guns, yada, yada..."

One of the detectives nearby quietly told me to simply drive down to York county one week and renew there as the Pennsylvania LTC permits are valid in each county.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Each county's Sheriff can set up the rules as long as they "shall issue" once background checks are done. I have held a permit in York county for 30+ years and the Sheriff's department have added tweaks to their rules over the years but I get my renewals in about 2 days, that's a non-resident. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
The 45-day max waiting period IS according to PA law......many counties have streamlined the process to same day.

This Sheriff is choosing to be a prick about it while still within the law....so put your torches and pitchforks away......for now.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I got my PA permit back in 1980, there was a 45 day waiting period. The application also requested business references from (three IIRC) people not related to me with whom I had some sort of working relationship with. For those I used a clergyman, a mechanic and last but not least the County Sherriff (!) since he knew me since I was born.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post