SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My doc told me I was fat.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My doc told me I was fat. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
You can't be fat if your skin still fits.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My doctor just told me the same thing, so maybe it's going around.

He prescribed portion control. hmmm what's that?

So I got online to find a diet plan. I found one that said I can eat all I want, no strenuous exercise, and still lose weight.

I'm pretty sure that's how I got in this shape, but I think I will give it a try. I think I can do it.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
BM I is BS. I’m 5’ 7” 165 with 32 waist. I’m “obese” per BMI. Meh.

The BMI calculator puts you at “overweight“(barely). You’d have to hit 192 to be considered obese.

Indeed.

BMI calculations are correct for most Americans. They are only "BS" for that small population of Americans that are actually physically fit. Very fit. As in ripped--to a more or lesser degree. These are people with body fat in the area of 10% or less. Then a good deal of their weight is lean mass. Muscle. Then BMI is an inaccurate measure.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I did get down to 185 and several people asked me if I was ill. I looked like hell.

That's because most people are used to looking at fat people. Most people are used to looking at fat people because ...

quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
I read that the average adult man in America weighs 198 pounds and the average adult woman weighs 170, both with an average BMI of over 29.
America is dangerously unhealthy and needs to get in shape.

This ^^^^^

People of course don't like to hear it, but...

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Truth don't care about your feelings. Wink

Yup.

My BMI (6'4", ±208 lbs) is also just within the "Overweight" category. I'm working to get it down. I will get it down. My goal is to get down to 195 lbs. or less. But, more importantly, to get my body fat percentage back down to ±15%. It's hovering around 25% right now. (Which is "good," for my age, compared to most Americans, but not good enough for me.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Had doctors appointment Friday afternoon at 5'11" I weighted in at 206. I have been between 200 and 206 for last 10 years, closer to 200 during the summer visits. I tell him I have a summer and a winter weight. All he asks is if I'm still getting exercise and or keeping active and the answer is always yes. All he tells me about my weight and BP is to keep doing what ever I'm doing so I just carry on as normal.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
According to the BMI, I too am obese... 6'4" 260 lbs... 18% body fat.

The BMI has a flawed formula. The taller you are the more fat it indicates and the shorter you are the less fat; it's only accurate if you're a 5'6" male. Even the doctor who came up with the formula admitted it was flawed, and was only intended for statistical analysis of populations, not for individual measurements. It also says nothing about body composition; a 200 pound weightlifter and a 200 pound coach potato of the same height would have the same BMI, but vastly different health situations. (Did you know that at the peak of his body-building career, Arnold Schwarzenegger would have been listed as "Obese" on the BMI charts?)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a similar issue last week. Went for my annual - doc said I was 20 lbs overweight? I have a 32 inch waist is 44 inch chest. I asked the doc to define overweight? (I am 5'9 and 185).

I work out daily. And to be honest - I feel my best/strongest/most energetic when I am carrying an extra 10 lbs. Go figure.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I'm 5'10 and 194. I had a session with a personal trainer. He asked me what my goal was. I told him, "I want my pants to fit better. And I want to be 200 lbs".
So, we put together a plan to make that happen. Smile

BMI is BS. Look good. Be healthy.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Nando: "It's not how you feel, but how you look and you look maaarrrvaaaluuuuusss!!!" Wink

bmi is BS ! Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
You aren't "overweight."

You are merely challenged by the gravitational attraction of the Earth. If we could reduce the mass of the Earth or your distance from the center of the Earth, the gravitational attraction between you and the Earth would be less and you'd weigh less, this solving your "obesity" problem.

Or so says my recollection of high school physics.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
peter griffen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFcT4Hsx7VQ

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
You aren't "overweight."

You are merely challenged by the gravitational attraction of the Earth. If we could reduce the mass of the Earth or your distance from the center of the Earth, the gravitational attraction between you and the Earth would be less and you'd weigh less, this solving your "obesity" problem.

Or so says my recollection of high school physics.

You are correct, that's why people who are taller than me at the same weight are not "overweight" But I am.

The whole of my volume is under the influence of a stronger gravitational force when compared to someone who is taller, in that a certain percentage of their total volume is under a lesser pull.

That's my story

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Jim, I know you didn't post asking for tax advice, but this might help....

by chance are you a member of a gym and does your employer have a medical reimbursement plan?

If yes to both, then the cost of your gym membership will qualify for reimbursement. All you need is a letter from your doctor confirming the diagnosis and you're set.

it's the only good thing about obesity....

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
I'm recoil resistant.

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

At this point in life, I came for the ambiance, but I am staying for the fun...

-HoneyBadgerMonkey
(My name's Dave!)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I got knee surgery several years back, very prominent ortho, she actually is/was, not sure now, the ortho for the steelers and Pitt basketball teams. I complained of knee pain after the surgery, she told me to lose 30 pounds. Fair enough.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My doctor told me I had to quit drinking immediately. I asked if it had damaged my liver and she said no, you're just not supposed to drink during a physical exam. (Ok, not a great joke but it's all I could think up)

Posts: 6 | Location: NH | Registered: November 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
I'm recoil resistant.

LOL, that’s my story and I am sticking to it.

Posts: 396 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
My doctor said I had the worst body he'd ever seen. I told him I wanted a second opinion. He said "okay, you're ugly too."

-Rodney Dangerfield

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Deo Fiducia Nostra
Picture of SigEd
posted Hide Post
My Dr. said I needed to quit drinking, smoking and chasing women.
I asked him if that would make me live longer.
He thought for a second and said, "No, But it'll seem like it." Big Grin

SigEd

P220ST .45ACP
P229 .40SW
P229 9mm
P239 9mm
P232SL
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 468 | Location: Franklin, TN | Registered: May 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post