SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My doc told me I was fat.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My doc told me I was fat. Login/Join 
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
"My doctor told me to give up wine, women, and song.
I don't sing much anymore."
--Unknown--

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
They changed the index so everybody is a balloon. Makes it easier to sell pills and shame everyone with social media. The only folks that meet the new guidelines are under 25, go to the gym every day, or have tapeworms. I thought about getting a gym membership, but that pesky day job keeps my schedule full.

I have bad news for you. I am 63 years old, 5' 10" tall, and weighed in this morning at 155.0 lbs. for a BMI of 22.2. Because I am currently working on building up my muscle strength to what it was before my heart surgery back in October I have to be a bit frugal with my workouts. As a result I exercise at the gym every other day to insure I can be fully recovered from the workout. Per my primary it can take 48 hours for the muscles to recover at my age so it's a slow process to get back to where I was before. Figure it will be May before I can run an 11 minute mile and hopefully by September I'll be able to break 9 minutes for the mile.

Point is that it's not exercise that keeps your weight in control, it's an intelligent DIET. As in NOT going out to eat and instead preparing your meals from scratch using Whole Foods. BTW if you want a revelation, just google the sodium content in a teaspoon. You will be shocked when you consider that 1200 mg should be the maximum daily intake for someone over 50.

BTW, a Little Caesars Extra Most pepperoni pizza has 5570 mg of sodium, 2470 calories, 48 grams of saturated fat, and 251 grams of carbohydrates in it. Since most people will typically eat 2-3 slices divide the above values by 2 or 3. What you have is a heart attack on a plate. Now consider this kind of crap is what most people in the country is eating and you will understand why obesity is such an issue.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I got fat a few years ago. Sedentiary lifestyle, working 70+ hours, divorce, etc. Ate everything I wanted.

5'4", 234.6 pounds. Size 40" pants, 50" suit jacket.

I changed my diet, began eating to be ketogenic, and have lost over 50 pounds. 5'4", 183 lbs. Size 32" pants. 46" jacket.

I plan to drop 20 more, to be at 160-165lbs. When I was 16 and wrestling 145 pound weightclass, starving myself and working out 2+ hours, 5 days a week, I was barely able to maintain 145. I have a naturally stocky and thick frame. BMI index doesn't apply to me.

I weigh less now than since 2002. I'm 35. BP is 108/70. Haven't had my labs checked since losing the weight, but go to the doc soon for that.

I plan to retire at 52 and live to enjoy an active retirement.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:I have bad news for you. I am 63 years old, 5' 10" tall, and weighed in this morning at 155.0 lbs. for a BMI of 22.2. Because I am currently working on building up my muscle strength to what it was before my heart surgery back in October I have to be a bit frugal with my workouts.

Sounds like you're pretty healthy. What type of heart surgery did you have?

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Shugart,, you live near Manassas? Dr named Erika?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I have bad news for you. I am 63 years old, 5' 10" tall, and weighed in this morning at 155.0 lbs. for a BMI of 22.2.

Yup. At 65 years of age, about a half year before retiring, I was at 192 lbs., for a BMI of 23. Both the more sophisticated device at my old gym, and the hand-held one at my new gym, put me at about 15% body fat.

I'd been working-out five times a week (three strength, two cardio) and keeping my diet in check.

It's been my personal experience that most people who claim BMI is BS are either very ripped or they're fat.

quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Point is that it's not exercise that keeps your weight in control, it's an intelligent DIET.

BTW, a Little Caesars Extra Most pepperoni pizza has 5570 mg of sodium, 2470 calories, 48 grams of saturated fat, and 251 grams of carbohydrates in it. Since most people will typically eat 2-3 slices divide the above values by 2 or 3.

Don't know how many slices in the pie, but, for rough calculation's sake, the average Calories in the average slice of pizza is roughly 278. Deep dish will be more. Thin crust less. What you do or don't have on it will change it. Anyway: At 280 Calories per, that's 840 Calories for three slices, and that's before salad or whatever else you have with it, plus drink(s).

Here's another example. My favourite: A McDonald's Big Mac meal. The burger, alone, is 540 Calories. Add a small fry (220 Cal.) and small coke (150 Cal), and you're up to 910 Calories. Just for that one small meal.

When I do High-Intensity Interval Training (cardio) I burn ±350 Calories.

The math is easy. As I've repeated often: You cannot out-exercise a bad diet.

And, yeah, you probably are fat. Most Americans are. But that's ok. Your lowered life expectancy will help reduce the burden on the Social Security system.

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I plan to retire at 52 and live to enjoy an active retirement.

That's the ticket.

I retired more than ten years after you plan to do so, but my goals were the same: To retire and have some life left to enjoy the fruits of my labours. That is why I worked out and minded my nutrition, and why I continue to do so.

I don't want to die before my time. I don't want to be one of those people hauling-around an oxygen cylinder or riding a scooter at Walmart.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post