SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My doc told me I was fat.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My doc told me I was fat. Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Isn’t “obese” just the medical term for “pleasantly plump?”

More cushion for the pushin'

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
My doc tells me I'm fat all the time. Not directly but he keeps telling me I should be at 160lbs for my height. I'm 200lbs and only 6' tall. Yes, I know I could lose maybe 10-15, but quit telling me to get down to 160.

I'm 6/1 and 255. I'd be happy as hell to see 215 again. 160 is so far beyond healthy that I'd be looking for a new Dr.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m 6’ 250... yes I know I definitely fall in the I need to lose some weight category, but I was 6’ 165 in high school and a scrawny ass twig so I don’t think 165 is a reasonable weight for a 6’ person... somewhere in the 190-200 would make me happy

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I'm fat.

BP 117/74
Sugar 65
Cholesterol 158

Go figure.

I still want to lose weight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man of leisurely proportions.

Well, I was until my wife announced our divorce. Now she tells me I need to eat more. I lost 40 pounds.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
I'm fat.

BP 117/74
Sugar 65
Cholesterol 158

Go figure.

I still want to lose weight.

Well, sounds like "big boned" to me Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm obese. BMI is 30.

I'm just under 5'7" and 188. I should be 158! If I get down to 170 I feel great. At 165, I look ill.

I've got 25 marathons, 10 Ironman triathlons in the past 20 years and am approaching 25,000 miles running. I'm never going to be skinny.

I ran 9 miles this morning. The first four miles were at 7:30 pace. Then I ran into my slower buddies and did a few slower miles with them. Finished at 8:01 average.

I did a quick 20-miler on the bike yesterday at 20.2 mph average.

I'm a bit chunky for a guy who exercises so much, but I like holiday treats.

If I get down to 170 again, I'll scrounge up the $$$ for another triathlon.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
BMI is some of the biggest bullshit on the planet. I'm "obese" with you, as well.

Yup, BMI and weight on their own are terrible indicators of health.

I have a doctor who always fusses at me to gain weight. Why would I purposely do that? I never go hungry, I eat mostly clean, I work out every day, and I feel good, so why does weight even matter?

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Shit, Russ. I had to go lie down for a while after just reading that.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some humor to ease the pain...

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Shit, Russ. I had to go lie down for a while after just reading that.

I will admit I'm a bit over the top. It looks more doable spread out over many years!

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I am 6' at 235 lbs. If I lost any weight I would not be jolly.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Fat people are harder to kidnap.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
BM I is BS. I’m 5’ 7” 165 with 32 waist. I’m “obese” per BMI. Meh.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I explain to my doctor that I'm storing for nuclear winter. It's a survival tactic, doc.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
BM I is BS. I’m 5’ 7” 165 with 32 waist. I’m “obese” per BMI. Meh.

The BMI calculator puts you at “overweight“(barely). You’d have to hit 192 to be considered obese.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Warm in the winter, shady in the summertime”

And we girthy individuals can be used as a flotation device in the event of a water landing.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last month I went to Knoxville TN for a two day physical for a government agency.

I was told I was overweight.

I knew I had a tape test coming up for the Army, so for the last two months I dieted, and changed up my workout routines and hit the gym religiously with lots of cardio. (I go five days a week anyways so I threw in a second trip three days aw week)

The Army scale lists my max weight at 193lbs at 5'10.
So, I am still overweight.

I think the whole BMI is baloney anyways.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started worrying about weight too late,

When they hang your scale from the forks of a fork lift to weigh you , you were officially remiss

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post